Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

Anybody else have one that hums a Bb? Even with nothing connected to it and the volumes down.

Any thoughts?

never mind, I didn't read every word lol... did you try a ground lift?

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Glad to hear u r doing well and happy Aspen. Look forward to hearing some vids dealing w/AP sounds.

Also, anyone that owns a K10 and purchased the SS, could u post your thoughts?

I've got one that's just arrived, but I'm traveling through next week.

Expect a thorough review: very AP focused (Nords) and various comparisons/integrations with K8/K10/K12s which I also have, as well as experience with lots of other keyboard amplification (Bose L1 Model II, Motion Sound, and a few other choice items). I've got two rooms to test in: a live one and a more dead one. I'll be testing in solo and electric band formats. No Youtube vids, just a set of experiments with my subjective findings.

I won't bother with a comparison with my Roland KC which I can't sell (!)

But you'll have to be patient ....

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Anybody else have one that hums a Bb? Even with nothing connected to it and the volumes down.

Any thoughts?

Ground lift made no difference. Unfortunately the noise is enough to be a deal breaker for me. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. I love everything else about the SSv.3.

Steinway L 1924 | Hammond SK2 | Hammond XPK-200L | Center Point Space Station V.3 | Motion Sound KT-80 | Yamaha U1

Any thoughts?

Ground lift made no difference. Unfortunately the noise is enough to be a deal breaker for me. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. I love everything else about the SSv.3.

Mine is quite, sounds like you may have a defective unit,, bummer, I know, but contact your dealer

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Any thoughts?

Mine is quite, sounds like you may have a defective unit,, bummer, I know, but contact your dealer

It is the 8in speaker humming/buzzing a Bb.

Steinway L 1924 | Hammond SK2 | Hammond XPK-200L | Center Point Space Station V.3 | Motion Sound KT-80 | Yamaha U1

Any thoughts?

It is the 8in speaker humming/buzzing a Bb.

that one has its own amp so sounds like it, have you called your salesguy yet?

SpaceStation V3,

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

I agree, mine is dead quiet in fact that was one of the things that struck me about it. If yours has some kind of hum call Sweetwater. The only other suggestion is try plugging it into a different circuit in another room just to make sure it not some kind of interference from lights or something but I'm sure my living room is just as cluttered as everybody elses, I had my home theater setup plus my TV going plus a fan and who knows what else and my SS was very quiet.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Decent probability it's either (a) ground loop, (b) flaky patch cable, or © perhaps a dodgy connector on your keyboard. All these are pretty easy to isolate, e.g. try a different amp, different power source, etc.

Not likely B or C as he states it hums by itself, with nothing connected. Likely is something with the AC though, as 60 hz is somewhere between B and Bb, I believe.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

The AC hum of 60 Hz in the U.S. is a minor third higher

close to the pitch of A#1/Bb1 = 58.27 Hz (58 Hz).

power supply for the 8" speaker, filter cap, missing ground, part of the MS decoder,etc

but its new under warranty so he should receive a new replacement and have shipping covered.

Bad news is there may not be a replacement in stock @ sweetwater.

I think with the number that are out there and that we have on this board he just got a bad unit, and its not indicative of the quality.

maybe his was built on a monday :eek:

SpaceStation V3,

I called SW and will receive a new unit in the next batch.

This one sounds great when you play it but just hums when it is 'quiet'. Since I teach there can be a lot of 'quiet' time. I will take it to work and see if she hums. Nothing else has hummed at my house but I do have reef aquaria (water pumps, high power lighting) so taking it somewhere for a check seems like a good idea.

An Ebtech Hum Eliminator does wonders at my house....

KronosX, ssv3, Vpiano, fulcrum fa22ac, Rupert neve line mixer, tons of weird guitars, axe-fx ultra, a couple of nice tube amps (Elmwood and Carr)

Eventide Harmonizer

If it works over at UNCW I'll be getting one of those!

But now I've noticed a 'click' noise from the unit about every 15 minutes.

And I think a jack-a-lope is living in it.

I've used that hum eliminator on the gig. It does work wonders. Do you think the click could be caused by something in your reef set-up? Something that goes on and off? Ray

Nothing goes off that often in my tanks.

So mine arrived yesterday. First Canadian v3 spacestation to my knowledge... Hooked it up tonight (first chance).

First impression: it's square shaped. Great - so now I can finally put my amp on the dolly on the side at the bottom and stack a keyboard or two on top.

Second thought, there is an open space on the side where I might mount a mixer with Velcro. Nice.

Next thought, it ain't light. But it's about the same weight as my QSC K 10. And not awkward shaped to carry.

Next thought, let's try it out with my Numa1 organ. Not a lot of low-end. Let's fiddle with the EQ on the Numa. Wow, an amp that Actually responds to EQ settings. Plenty of low-end now with the numa bass turned up. Sweet, balls to spare.

Next thought, hook up the nord stage 2. Well, the nord organ doesn't sound so bad after all. Not as good as the numa but pretty decent. Let's move on to piano. amazing, I never heard the switch to mono so pronounced. It is like night and day. Switch to electric piano and add some stereo effects. Definitely sounds like it's in stereo. But if I angle the amp differently, or move its height, makes a huge difference. Sounds even better.

Next thought, try some synth sounds from the original Nord programs. Holy crap, I never heard it like this before!!! This thing sounds huge. I am so glad I did not sell the Nord!

Next thought, try the Kronos. Acoustic piano - Sounds really good but still would rather play a real acoustic. Fiddle with the width button. Holy crap, that sounds great. I might actually want to play acoustic (workstation) patches instead of electric. Definitely benefits from tweaking width to the room.

Next stop the acoustic image as a sub out. Sits perfectly on top - and adds some substantial low end volume. But I wonder if it's really necessary.

Bottom line, the space station is a keeper. I might even order a second one. Is that good.

Totally inspiring to play with.

I have not been this excited to play an instrument since my hammond A100 arrived!

So mine arrived yesterday. First Canadian v3 spacestation to my knowledge... Hooked it up tonight (first chance).

Second thought, there is an open space on the side where I might mount a mixer with Velcro. Nice.

If that open space is the opening to the rear of the 8 " speaker don't cover that up

SpaceStation V3,

Also, are there any vids of the Casio px5/AP patches up yet?

Point me to them.

Thx.

Guys, here's Al on the new (and much improved) Casio 5S doing some nice AP work we tracked last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL9-51bIWNw&feature=youtu.be

Brian Acenzo (our head engineer at APR) has been working thru the weekend to finish editing this and also Bob's (Jazzmammal) cool Hammond session as well...should have that up tomorrow as it was rendering as I left tonight.

Also tonight Al came in and we tracked some AP on his Nord, and also we have loaded Ivory into our lap top and Al will entertain us with some tunes using that as well...and that should round out the AP demos.

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

If it works over at UNCW I'll be getting one of those!

But now I've noticed a 'click' noise from the unit about every 15 minutes.

And I think a jack-a-lope is living in it.

Andy, as I mentioned in my PM recently...hum is not included in the price, neither are Jack-a-lopes".

(NOTE: actually I have had one hum complaint a few weeks ago, but that turned out to be a ground loop hum from faulty house wiring, which was an even bigger bummer for my early adopter!).

So if it still misbehaves at school, then we can assume it is a faulty unit. That would be my first Bb hum issue, and we have about 100 in the field right now. Still, I am a zero tolerance guy, so this drives me crazy!

However if you have a problem V.3, you will not wait for SW next shipment; I will take care of you directly. I purposely held back a few units for warranty exchange, just in case, and I will ship you an advance exchange unit after you try it elsewhere and determine it is not your AC source issues.

Anyway if you do have a faulty unit, I want to get it back here ASAP and see what caused it!

Assuming it is a faulty unit w/ a 60Hz hum, it could be the toroidal pwr xfmr became dislodged in shipping and/or shifted...these are usually low hum field compact designs but are optimized by rotating the hum field to the best "null" position when we assemble them.

But it is pointless to just speculate, so that's why I'd like to get it back if it's at fault.

However so you won't lose gig time on your unit, should we determine it is a faulty unit...I will advance replace it to you ASAP. When it arrives, you can pack up your first one and I'll put a UPS pick up it to get it back here.

In any event, I am VERY sorry for any inconvenience, but again if our SS V.3 is at fault I will try my best to minimize that inconvenience.

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Can you ask for better service than that?

SpaceStation V3,

However if you have a problem V.3, you will not wait for SW next shipment; I will take care of you directly. I purposely held back a few units for warranty exchange, just in case, and I will ship you an advance exchange unit after you try it elsewhere and determine it is not your AC source issues.

Anyway if you do have a faulty unit, I want to get it back here ASAP and see what caused it!

Assuming it is a faulty unit w/ a 60Hz hum, it could be the toroidal pwr xfmr became dislodged in shipping and/or shifted...these are usually low hum field compact designs but are optimized by rotating the hum field to the best "null" position when we assemble them.

But it is pointless to just speculate, so that's why I'd like to get it back if it's at fault.

However so you won't lose gig time on your unit, should we determine it is a faulty unit...I will advance replace it to you ASAP. When it arrives, you can pack up your first one and I'll put a UPS pick up it to get it back here.

In any event, I am VERY sorry for any inconvenience, but again if our SS V.3 is at fault I will try my best to minimize that inconvenience.

Well, you can't say fairer than that, can you?

Customer service at it's best. Kudos to Aspen!

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

I was charged $15.76 for shipping both items and $4.50 for signature required delivery. Ray

Hmmm. I ordered a Spacestation and Behringer sub and was given free shipping and sig. So if they didn't price match and if the shipping charge was just for the SKB case, that's almost twice the GC price - $140.25 vs. $78.32. Looks like Guitar Center wins this round...

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

Thanks for the info B-ball. I just talked to Sweetwater and they can't adjust the price of the case since it was a special order. They don't stock that case. I cancelled the case order and will now order from GC. Later, Ray
Casio PX5s, XWP1 and CPS SSV3

when you order from sweetwater, unless you uncheck the signature option(its on by default) you get dinged.

SpaceStation V3,