Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland RD-800 or Privia Px-5S What would You choose

johnnyd

Hey Guys. I'm about to replace an old Korg Sg-Pro-x digital piano

that went through a flood in my basement.

I been considering the Privia Px-5s or the Roland Rd -800

Can't really demo either one without driving 6 hours.

The Roland is like $1400 more than the Privia. I'm wondering if it's worth that much more. I realise the build quality of the Roland will be superior, but what about sound and action.

Has anyone demoed both and what would you choose.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The big advantages of the PX-5S over the RD800 are size/weight and price. And those are very big advantages to lots of people. If those don't matter to you, I'd go for the RD800.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The big advantages of the PX-5S over the RD800 are size/weight and price. And those are very big advantages to lots of people. If those don't matter to you, I'd go for the RD800.
+1 Plus the synth engine on the Casio is one of the best you'll find on a stage piano.

Plus unlike the Casio, the Roland will take an expression pedal. (Re-cue the bag o chips)

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I think I would chose a Yamaha CP-4 for live piano and Rhodes gigs. And I am a fan of Roland and Casio in general.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

I think I would chose a Yamaha CP-4 for live piano and Rhodes gigs. And I am a fan of Roland and Casio in general.
Hey, don't ruin the OP's thread. He's not talking about Yamaha...

Relax, I'm just messing with ya. And no, none of them have built-in speakers. :/

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I think an important question is - How much organ are you gonna play? The PX5 will only disappoint in that department, without the exp. pedal, terrible Leslie sim, and anemic B3 sounds.

Having said that, I own a PX5 , and love it. But I do have a second board that does great job at organ and solo synth stuff (Vr09). Plus I already owned a MIDISolutions pedal thingy.

Just getting one board, and money or weight is of no concern - get the 800.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

I realise the build quality of the Roland will be superior,

This might have been true once upon a time, but today the build quality of the Casio seems on par with Roland, and yes, that's saying a lot. Personally, I would buy the Casio and use the extra $1400 to buy a Hammond XK1c to augment the Casio. As always, YMMV.

:nopity:

RD800 or PX5S ???

=> Kawai MP-7 !!!

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

The Roland RD-800 would be my choice for piano playing.

But it's a lot heavier, so I wouldn't want to move it to gigs. The CP-4 would trump the Roland and the Kawai, IMO. The Casio would win in the portability category for gigs. I am willing to sacrifice the sound and response quality for portability.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

It seems to me that you have come down to an unusual choice. I could understand say the MOXF vs the Roland FA, but you seem to be comparing apples with oranges.

I would be interested as to how you ended up with a short list of these two boards.

Anyway, IMHO, the RD 800 is of higher quality, and has better sounds. But it certainly isn't $1400 better.

I would buy the Casio, and save the extra cash for something else. I don't think the PX-5S will disappoint, it's extremely versatile, and great patch creators such as Mike Martin and Dave Weiser have periodically uploaded sounds that you can get from the web site.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

I own a CP-4 and recently tried the RD-800. It's nice and I would say I marginally prefer the piano sound, but the CP-4's action remains the best I've ever played.

I use it at home for classical as well as stage and my technique has improved no end in recent months. Factor in the reduced weight and length (smart move to put the wheels above the keyboard) and the CP-4 wins out.

I had been searching for a long time for a piano that would double as a home/stage piano and the CP-4 is it.

I tried both and although the Casio gives you a lot more bang for the buck, it's just not fair to compare these two pianos. They are totally different pricepoints and have features that make me think the new FA-08 is probably a better Roland to compare to the Casio.

I was turned off by the tiny screen, plasticky feel to knobs and sliders and lack of expression inputs and half pedaling on the Casio. Although I do like the idea of saving some cash and adding a dedicated clonewheel....

For pure piano playing, the RD-800 is what I chose and I don't regret it. Even the CP-4 didn't cut it for me, although it does have better Epianos for sure.

Roland RD-800, Roland RD-64, Nord Electro 5d -73, Hohner D-6 Clavinet, Wurlitzer 200A, Fender Rhodes Mark 1 Buz Watson, QSC and Presonus PA, Gibson and Bugera Tube Amps. Gobs of lights and lasers.

Archived