Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg announces all new ARP Odyssey

Speaking of ARP....

I'd like a digital piano in the shape of my old ARP 4 voice.

You know, with the screw in legs, and the totally flat aircraft carrier top.

It was perfect for placing my old Crumar Orchestrator, then Prophet 600 on top. No extra stand to bring, perfect playing positions....

Okay back to your topic :)

+1 :thu:

The ARP 4-Voice's wooden keys were a dream. The Korg Delta and Moog Prodigy were stacked on mine.

Steve Coscia

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of ARP....

It was perfect for placing my old Crumar Orchestrator, then Prophet 600 on top. No extra stand to bring, perfect playing positions....

The ARP 4-Voice's wooden keys were a dream. The Korg Delta and Moog Prodigy were stacked on mine.

Steve, exactly!

This brought back a distant memory. This was my very first electric piano. When I was but a novice at band playing in bands.

I quickly realized that I wanted to stand, and the legs with ARP weren't long enough. So, it truly was my first customization project. I got two 2x4x4's I added two rubber cups (like you'd place on a wall to protect from a door handle) on each piece of lumber.

The ARP's legs sat in those on the lumber, raising the rig 4" to perfect playing height. LOL....I just remembered where my fascination with making a rig fit me, rather than me fit it began. I think I was 18 or 19 at the time. :)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• 2 weeks later...
Speaking of ARP....

Steve, exactly!

This brought back a distant memory. This was my very first electric piano. When I was but a novice at band playing in bands.

I quickly realized that I wanted to stand, and the legs with ARP weren't long enough. So, it truly was my first customization project. I got two 2x4x4's I added two rubber cups (like you'd place on a wall to protect from a door handle) on each piece of lumber.

The ARP's legs sat in those on the lumber, raising the rig 4" to perfect playing height. LOL....I just remembered where my fascination with making a rig fit me, rather than me fit it began. I think I was 18 or 19 at the time. :)

I did that with my Rhodes. 2 pieces of 4x4 that the back legs stood on, and then the front legs telescoped out so the board was at a slight rearward angle. At 6'1, it was still a little low, but it worked!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I was watching YouTube videos about Fender Rhodes and found this gem with Donald Fagen talking about the Odyssey.

[video:youtube]

I was sure the keyboard in this story was identified as an ARP ProSoloist/Soloist years back but interesting to hear its an Odyssey

Sorry in advance to my ignorance...

If I understand correctly, this instrument was originally made to emulate string sections back in the mid to late 70s. Nowadays, we have much better keyboards that can actually REALISTICALLY emulate strings, but also emulate the emulations, [now deemed] Pads, that the ARPs played. Can someone explain to me why anyone would buy a machine dedicated to playing outdated sounds that could quite easily be emulated by another keyboard today..? Nostalgia..?

Kenny

Just to clarify, the String Ensemble(Solina) was a different beast from the Omni.

Of course you're right, I wasn't sure which he might have been referring to so I name-dropped them both, as they were both used as "string machines". But it was not accurate - thanks.

Jerry

• 5 years later...