Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT? Is 440 tuning fundamentally wrong?

zukskywalker

Thanks!

I was all nervous about posting but it got me thinking about how "standards" give way to choices and in many cases simply fall by the wayside. Anybody remember NTSC? PAL? SECAM? (The "old" television standards.)

I don't know how to setup a poll here, but maybe the 440 tuning question would make for a good MythBusters episode(Discovery Channel is right up the street from me).

Should I hit them up?

(If yes, then I might need some support from the KC.)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No. US use A440, as does the UK. Europe does use A442 somewhat.

If an orchestra needs to pitch sharp to stand out, to me, that's akin to middle age compensating.

..Joe

FWIW, i believe a number of the US orchestras have moved to 442 (NY, LA, Chicago, etc)

Pure woo. I love this bit:

Most music worldwide has been tuned to A=440 Hz since the International Standards Organization (ISO) promoted it in 1953. However, studies regarding the vibratory nature of the universe indicate that this pitch is disharmonious with the natural resonance of nature and may generate negative effects on human behaviour and consciousness

and this

432 Hz is said to be mathematically consistent with the patterns of the universe. Studies reveal that 432hz tuning vibrates with the universes golden mean PHI and unifies the properties of light, time, space, matter, gravity and magnetism with biology, the DNA code and consciousness.

:laugh:

Some guitar players like a lower tuning because bending strings a whole step or more is hard work and even causes tendinitis for some players but tuning down makes the strings more slack and easier work. Hendrix Trower Frank Marino van Halen SRV were a half step down most of the time.
You got the reasons wrong, because most who tuned down also used much heavier gauge strings (SRV in particular). Some tuned down to play better with brass instruments, which tend to play in flat keys, but in the long run, the main reason they did it was because they liked how it sounded.

I'm confident that none of the above had any trouble bending strings at standard pitch, whatever gauges they were playing.

Wikipedia writes:

Current concert pitches

Despite such confusion, A = 440 Hz is the only official standard and is widely used around the world. Many orchestras in the United Kingdom adhere to this standard as concert pitch.[11] In the United States some orchestras use A = 440 Hz, while others, such as New York Philharmonic and the Boston Symphony Orchestra, use A = 442 Hz.[12] The latter is also often used as tuning frequency in Europe,[2] especially in Denmark, France, Hungary, Italy, Norway and Switzerland.[13] Nearly all modern symphony orchestras in Germany and Austria and many in other countries in continental Europe (such as Russia, Sweden and Spain) tune to A = 443 Hz.[14][15]

In practice the orchestras tune to a note given out by the oboe, and many oboists use an electronic tuning device. When playing with fixed-pitch instruments such as the piano, the orchestra will generally tune to thema piano will normally have been tuned to the orchestra's normal pitch. Overall, it is thought that the general trend since the middle of the 20th century has been for standard pitch to rise, though it has been rising far more slowly than it has in the past. Some orchestras like the Berliner Philharmoniker now use a slightly lower pitch (443 Hz) than their highest previous standard (445 Hz).[16][2]

Many modern ensembles which specialize in the performance of Baroque music have agreed on a standard of A = 415 Hz.[2] An exact equal-tempered semitone lower than A = 440 would be 440/21/12 = 415.3047 Hz; this is rounded to the nearest integer. In principle this allows for playing along with modern fixed-pitch instruments if their parts are transposed down a semitone. It is, however, common performance practice, especially in the German Baroque idiom, to tune certain works to Chorton, approximately a semitone higher than A-440 (460470 Hz) (e.g., Pre-Leipzig period cantatas of Bach).[17]

In the realm of popular music electronic keyboards (those, that is, whose tuning cannot be adjusted, which includes almost all the cheaper ones for home use) are still tuned to the A=440 Hz standard in the 2nd decade of the 21st century. Electronic tuners for guitar or bass also use a fixed A=440 Hz tuning although some provide for adjustment of that reference frequency.

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

:facepalm:

Sorry, I'm allergic to bullsh!t.

Lmao!!! :laugh:

So Wayne..Your unable to work with drummers too? I thought I was alone with that one. :laugh:

Drummers are probably my favorite musicians. Provided they're really musicians and and not just drum set owners. I'm very fortunate to know at least a handful of very good drummers out of the hundreds of drum set owners.

--wmp

Drummers are probably my favorite musicians. Provided they're really musicians and and not just drum set owners. I'm very fortunate to know at least a handful of very good drummers out of the hundreds of drum set owners.
:thu: QOTW?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

:thu: QOTW?

I like this one.

The best part is working with musicians who amaze me. Keeps me inspired and humble.

If your drummer doesn't do that for you, you need a new drummer. Or no drummer at all.

--wmp

:facepalm:

Sorry, I'm allergic to bullsh!t.

Lmao!!! :laugh:

So Wayne..Your unable to work with drummers too? I thought I was alone with that one. :laugh:

+1 , except unfortunately - no excellent drummers for miles around my neck of the woods, seems they are as rare as hens teeth . Great drummers are worth their weight in gold.

Brett

Great drummer, are rarer than hen's teeth.

+1

I remember telling one drummer at a job that there is more of a difference in Johnny B Good and the Tennessee Waltz than just the count. That officially earned me "prick award of the year". But someone had to tell em! Lol!

"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

If you are a prick according to that dweeb, I wonder what I would be categorized as? I am far worse on poor drummers egos.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I remember telling one drummer at a job that there is more of a difference in Johnny B Good and the Tennessee Waltz than just the count. That officially earned me "prick award of the year". But someone had to tell em! Lol!
Just try playing a waltz in 4/4. Tons o' fun. Got through and mentioned to the drummist that 3/4 may have felt a little better, and prevent dancers from stumbling. Got me a quizzical....wazzat? look. Great.

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

Just try playing a waltz in 4/4. Tons o' fun. Got through and mentioned to the drummist that 3/4 may have felt a little better, and prevented dancers from stumbling. Got me a quizzical....wazzat? look. Great.

A joke I heard recently:

Q: What's the difference between a drummer and a chiropodist?

A: A chiropodist bucks up your feet...

Archived