Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

M-audio axiom problem

Bossbandbob

I knew this was going to happen eventually ,but luckily I have an extended warranty,on my first generation M audio axiom 61 controller. As the USB port never worked properly for holding the cable securely, as I was fiddling with it to try to get it to work right, the white center pin broke off. I figured I could still get it to work by connecting a wall wart and a midi in and out/USB cable but despite either of two computers I tried, I get stuck notes using VB3 whenever I move a slider or a knob on the Axiom. The controls work fine on the VB3 interface. A Relearn on the VB3 controls did not help and neither did panic or a reset on the Axiom (+\- on restart). I did want to use the Axiom for a gig tomorrow before returning it to GC for repair, but I do have other keyboards I can substitute. Is it this broken USB port that is causing the hung notes issue and is there some other kind of work around besides what I have already tried to get this working?

Thanks,

Bob

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You probably don't want to hear this, but those inexpensive plastic controllers just aren't built for gigging.

All I can suggest is to carry a spare in your car?

Well lets hope those with the PX5S and VR09's take note, and are buying them 2 at a time, or have they got special gig ready USB ports?

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Is it this broken USB port that is causing the hung notes issue and is there some other kind of work around besides what I have already tried to get this working?

I think your best course of action is to take the Axiom outside, douse it with lighter fluid, and incinerate it. Consider this a lesson learned, then invest in a better controller.

I've soldered a new USB jack into one of my keyboards (a Korg microKey 37). I found two jacks at a reasonable price here.

I'd be curious to know what GC does with your board might they have an actual tech person that can solder in a new jack? (I'm guessing no, that's just not the way things are done these days).

If the jack is not mounted on an easily-replaceable circuit board that's separate from the main board, it'll be interesting to hear how they take care of you.

We will see. I would not have bought this used without the 2 year protection policy, which only cost 26$. The burning suggestion was not too helpful as I actually like this kb for organ as it is an inexpensive option with VB3 until I can step up to a good, lightweight Clonewheel, and it's only probable issue is that Jack. In my two bands I probably only use organ about a quarter of the time. What is interesting here is that I started a thread on "reliable dependable controllers" and there never really was a consensus on that, however, IIRC a couple of people there actually recommended this axiom keyboard to me. Of course, as usual, there were several other recommendations. As they say YMMV!

I've soldered a new USB jack into one of my keyboards (a Korg microKey 37). I found two jacks at a reasonable price here.

I'd be curious to know what GC does with your board might they have an actual tech person that can solder in a new jack? (I'm guessing no, that's just not the way things are done these days).

If the jack is not mounted on an easily-replaceable circuit board that's separate from the main board, it'll be interesting to hear how they take care of you.

Thanks Reeze, now this was and will be helpful. I actually did find out what GC

does as far as taking care of me. Actually the matter was taken care of over the phone. It seems they determined that give me a full refund including shipping and taxes was more worthwhile for them than sending the board out to be repaired. They told me to keep the keyboard, so I will be taking it apart to solder in and more securely mount a new USB jack and if it all works out well, I'll end up with a controller for free- well actually for $1.99..... Unless I can pull out and use a USB Jack out of a dead printer.

And that right there tells you that these are throw away products, not worth repairing under warranty to them.

If you are going to use these products to gig with, just have that expectation. I don't think that my advice of "keep a spare in the car" was inappropriate.

Moe

---

I'll end up with a controller for free- well actually for $1.99..... Unless I can pull out and use a USB Jack out of a dead printer.

Unless you have ninja desoldering tools and skills, I would definitely recommend spending the $1.99 on a brand new jack. Desoldering the bad jack was a PITA even with my arsenal of solder wick, regular iron + desoldering pump and a desoldering iron. These are probably not the best quality circuit boards and I had to be careful not to mess up any of the traces. Having to pull two jacks, then replace one with a possibly mangled pulled one? I'll spend the $1.99 every time. Just my opinion and YMMV of course! Good luck and congrats on the almost free controller! I'm gonna start buying these extended warranties!

And that right there tells you that these are throw away products, not worth repairing under warranty to them.

If you are going to use these products to gig with, just have that expectation. I don't think that my advice of "keep a spare in the car" was inappropriate.

No it was not! I always keep a spare keyboard in the car anyways.

I'll end up with a controller for free- well actually for $1.99..... Unless I can pull out and use a USB Jack out of a dead printer.

Unless you have ninja desoldering tools and skills, I would definitely recommend spending the $1.99 on a brand new jack. Desoldering the bad jack was a PITA even with my arsenal of solder wick, regular iron + desoldering pump and a desoldering iron. These are probably not the best quality circuit boards and I had to be careful not to mess up any of the traces. Having to pull two jacks, then replace one with a possibly mangled pulled one? I'll spend the $1.99 every time. Just my opinion and YMMV of course! Good luck and congrats on The almost free controller! I'm gonna start buying these extended warranties!

My soldering skills are more like a ninja turtle! I just ordered two new ones. After taking the old one out, I don't want to hassle with that again..by the time I find a dead printer the new ones will be here. Oy, it's really tough to tell but I think I got all the solder out of those four pins. That USB jack was mounted securely but it was basically falling apart. The Jack case itself seems a really dumb design as the 3 pieces it is made from can easily separate by plugging or pulling out the cable. I'm thinking of lining the seams and sprocket holes of the new one with some kind of glue to keep it together better. Otherwise, if it works, I'll be using the the midi connectors/wall wart instead as Moe mentioned.

Sometimes you have too wonder at the extent these companies go to save a few 10ths of a penny. I guess every little bit adds up but in my not so educated opinion, why skimp on the USB jack which is a part likely to see many stresses during the keyboard's lifetime? Makes no sense. Here's a post I made back in December with pics of the Ebay part you & I bought vs what I have in my Roland A800-Pro. The Roland jack barely grips the cable; it's fallen out twice on a gig. I'll be soldering in that second Ebay jack pretty soon!

OK, Just found out my "money back" comes in the form of an E-gift card that can only be spent at a GC! I'm sure I'll find something to spend the money on there but these things are not spelled out too clearly by GC when you buy them. The pamphlet does say, however, "replace or repair."

I don't think GC's response would be any different if the USB port broke on a three year old PX5S that they had sold second hand for $200 or $300 particularly as they have the premiums for every extended warranty they sold over the last 12 months to put towards the cost of claims. Properly run extended warranty programs can be more profitable for the retailer than the amount they make on the product itself.

Also I think you will find the same $1.99 USB type B port in a current Motif or Kronos. So paying ten times more does not mean the vital connection between the board and a computer will be of any higher standard.

The 5 pin midi port is a better quality connector and if they sold laptops with them it would be my choice also. As that is not the case care is required when using USB.

There are other options such as the right angle USB cable and the addition of a cable holder near the port which were suggested by Reezekeys back in December when the OP first posted about the USB port being a loose fit.

Now I hope that Andrea is reading this and has the USB connection sorted on the MojoEditor by the time you get yours :wave:

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

FWIW, I had the same issue with my USB jack on an original Axiom 61. I stopped using the USB jack & started using a wall wart & MIDI out. It's been flawless ever since.... well, except for the part about the keyboard feeling like a sponge. I did think about repairing it until I decided that the repair bill would not be worth it. As others have said one way or another, it's disposable.

You might try reloading your patches thru the Enigma Editor. The problem you were describing sounds like some kinda funky midi mumbo jumbo that just needs to be wiped out. A sysex dump to the unit will start you fresh again.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

The jack for the wall wart can get stressed just like the USB jack. IMO it's not a perfect solution. You have two cables dangling from the controller, and you need AC power near your controller.

The right-angle USB plug is a great idea, but gaff-taping to my stand at every gig makes that an imperfect solution. My thought of the moment would be to have a short right angle USB B plug going to a male A plug permanently attached to my controller, perhaps using a hot glue gun. Then use a USB extension cable to the computer or hub. I know the extension cable could disconnect if pulled on, however if that did happen then at least the stress is not transmitted to my controller's jack. Maybe glue a small clip to the side of my keyboard for the extension cable to snap onto that would stabilize it and lessen the risk of it disconnecting. I'm on it! :)

FWIW, I had the same issue with my USB jack on an original Axiom 61. I stopped using the USB jack & started using a wall wart & MIDI out. It's been flawless ever since.... well, except for the part about the keyboard feeling like a sponge. I did think about repairing it until I decided that the repair bill would not be worth it. As others have said one way or another, it's disposable.

You might try reloading your patches thru the Enigma Editor. The problem you were describing sounds like some kinda funky midi mumbo jumbo that just needs to be wiped out. A sysex dump to the unit will start you fresh again.

Thanks Magoo,

I have it apart now awaiting the newUSB port so if that does not straighten out the issue, I will try that. If I can't get the Axiom working, I'm thinking of the Casio XW-P1 as a replacement option to use on top of my PX-5S. Not only would it be a very good organ controller but has all the other bonus sounds as well. Seems to me like the Casio boards now, no matter what level, are better built than many others and if there is an issue, I have found their service to be excellent.

Has anyone noticed that the GC 15% off holiday offers do not apply to used or discounted "on sale" items? It seems that everything I am interested in does not qualify.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on USB Jack replacement. Axiom works perfectly now with new USB Jack and USB cable and VB3, however,the jack will no longer power the unit. No big deal as I have a wall wart for it and was going to use it with the midi port anyway. However, When I tried the axiom with the midi port, it gets the hung notes again with any controller, knobs sliders, etc.- the keys work fine though.

"You might try reloading your patches thru the Enigma Editor. The problem you were describing sounds like some kinda funky midi mumbo jumbo that just needs to be wiped out. A sysex dump to the unit will start you fresh again."

Not sure what you mean by "reloading patches, as I never saved any patches in the Axiom. I only use it for controlling VB3. I haven't done much else with midi and don't really understand half of the Axiom's user manual. I downloaded Enigma and tried the axiom's Sysex dump feature a few times (pressed memory and recall together) and Enigma showed a quick "Sysex received, however this did not fix the problem I'm having when using the midi port.

If you've saved your axiom settings in enigma, try loading the factory axiom settings in (they should come with enigma). Then test the midi out. That will tell you whether or not there was some weird glitch that had happened. If all's well, reload your settings. If the midi weirdness returns, then something about your settings is corrupt.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Ended up finding out It was the damn Midi to USB cable I was using causing the problem. New cable= no problem with midi out connection of the Axiom and VB3!

So I did end up getting the board working properly for close to free... Or 2 bucks for the new USB connector and about an hours worth of work opening up and closing the board and installing the new connector. Can't believe GC preferred to refund my money rather than at least look at it. A skilled technician could have done it in half the time and half the price.

Can't believe GC preferred to refund my money rather than at least look at it. A skilled technician could have done it in half the time and half the price.

Please, someone let me know when they find a "skilled technician" at a GC!! :)

Of course now that the USB jack is fixed, you don't actually need the Midi to USB cable, do you?

As it seems the general consensus is that that is a more secure connection and I have a Wall wart, I will be using Midi out instead of USB out. The flimsy design of the USB connector pretty much dictates that it's going to break again eventually anyway from plugging and unplugging it. I'll be using the Axiom at band practice for a while to see how it holds up.

Archived