Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dancing With The Stars Band Gets Fired

montunoman

I don't think that would work because players have to identify with and be true to the music. Look at this forum, how many guys right here have no clue about trance or EDM and have no interest in it at all and actually how many here will say they absolutely hate it? They can be the most experienced and schooled players in the world but if they think that then how good of a job are they going to do with that tune? You could bring in a young hip board player who is famous for that stuff but what about the rest of the band?

Another old fart story and this is on YT. Ed Shaughnessy of the Doc Severinson Tonight Show band sat in with some rock group on the show because their drummer was sick or something (yeah we all know what kind of "sick" it probably was). Shaughnessy was a kick ass drummer but not for that band. It totally sucked.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The average viewer age for DWTS is 62!

This isn't about them not being to play modern music, it's about an orchestra sounding old fashioned no matter what and they want that average viewer age closer to 13, so here comes the pop band, silly haircuts and all.

Silly haircuts?? I can't believe you just wrote that. What about your haircut in 1972? Your grandfather saying "C'mon kid wise up, you'll never get a job looking like that..."

Of course I'm guessing here, maybe you've been into brushcuts your whole life.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I would like to hear some of these lack luster "hack job" performances , to see what you guys are talking about.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s9NimkdI6I

Here you go.

[video:youtube]

That is how the song is meant to sound... Anything with trance-style stuff, I'm sorry but that band simply does not cut it.

I sort of disagree with anyone saying they are trying to save money. That show is making millions of dollars. I would find it difficult to believe that the amount spent on that band was really breaking them. In the article, there is a direct quote saying it wasn't about the money. Now whether that is 100% accurate is of course unknown. What I do know, is a song like in the example above - people don't want to hear some corny 18-person band rendition of it. It is a pop dance tune, which requires synths - which that band failed miserably at reproducing.

But while I hate to see a live band being replaced - I have heard people who watch the show complain that band just doesn't do a lot of the modern songs justice. Now why they didn't just add another keyboard player or 2 in, I'm not sure? I would think that would allow them to bring in any samples or newer sounds?

nothing wrong with that band IMO

I completely disagree , I think the band did an excellent live job on that song , and the vocalist had more "pizazz" for one thing.

And the shows gone backwards bigtime with no live band , that's for real.

If they pulled the live band from the NZ show (when it was going) it would suck donkey fruit - they were highly visible.

I bet your U.S producer has got about 2 complaints about the band (from musicians) in his inbox over the years.

Brett

Silly haircuts?? I can't believe you just wrote that. What about your haircut in 1972? Your grandfather saying "C'mon kid wise up, you'll never get a job looking like that..."

Of course I'm guessing here, maybe you've been into brushcuts your whole life.

Bob

Yeah, you guessed wrong.

The haircuts are silly, and that's being kind.

I completely disagree , I think the band did an excellent live job on that song , and the vocalist had more "pizazz" for one thing.

And the shows gone backwards bigtime with no live band , that's for real.

If they pulled the live band from the NZ show (when it was going) it would suck donkey fruit - they were highly visible.

I bet your U.S producer has got about 2 complaints about the band (from musicians) in his inbox over the years.

Brett

I respectfully disagree. While there isn't much of a "vibe" to the song in the first place, the live band completely failed to capture the vibe that was supposed to be there. Yes, the singer had a Louis Armstrong thing going on that was charming, but there was no bounce whatsoever to their rendition of the song. It was dreary and lifeless.

I mentioned to my wife that the band on DWTS was fired, and that they would be changing the source of the music. Her comment was that that was a good thing, as in so many instances, the band sucked. I noticed that they would have the tempo of the song so far out of whack, that it was amazing the dancers could even get any groove.

As far as the financial end of it, there may be something to it. We've been watching the show since its inception. And the changes they made last season almost made us stop watching.

The biggest thing was the scoring change. They had the audience vote from the previous week count for this week. This was made necessary by cutting back from 2 days a week to 1 day a week.

That seems like a show that is having some difficulty.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I was at work when I first responded and couldn't hear the vids. I just listened to them and the band sucks on that style. Period. Why? For the same reason I would never try to do something like that live. It's not a live band tune it's a DJ thing. The drums are sequenced synth drums. On purpose. You can't do that on an acoustic kit. Second, there's no real horns on that tune either. It's a deliberate fake horn type thing. Total synth sound and the kids who produced it knew exactly what sound they wanted and it was not real horns. I don't even understand that style and I could hear how bad the live band was in comparison to the original. Imagine how the 30 something crowd who grew up with this stuff and knows it intimately thinks.

Remember back in the day when we would hear some older bands try to play something by one of our favorite current bands, especially funk? A 50 year old drummer in 1969 had no clue how to play James Brown or some old horn guys trying to play Chicago but on some of the variety shows the house band tried and it was really bad. We all laughed our asses off.

Same thing here.

Bob

Dave Arch's band on Strictly Come Dancing (you Yanks do know we invented this stuff, eh? :) ) is pretty impressive, IMO. They do their best to faithfully reproduce the arrangements, albeit in truncated format for the dance, rather than go for a 'brass with everything because we have it' approach, and most of the time they succeed pretty well. Especially given that they have to learn up to about 25 songs each week, with only a couple of days to arrange and rehearse the dance numbers.

+1. Slight aside: we also invented American Idol [aka Pop Idol], except the Americans showed us how to do it properly with a live band.

Cheers, Mike.

I've watched DWTS from the beginning. When it was Fresh and new it was the darling of the ratings. It seems to me that this show has seen its best ratings and now is slowly losing ground. I liked the band simply because there's something about a live band performance that just brings energy to the dance. I stopped watching two seasons ago because every show seems like every other show (boring, no longer new)and it's really a popularity contest not a talent contest. I'm not supprised that the producers would start making wholesale changes. Big live productions are expensive and risky even when you add ticket sales there's still alot of people to employ and alot of expense to cover. ~BOB
I'm practicing so that people can maybe go "wow" at an imaginary gig I'll never play. -Nadroj

At least Ricky Minor won't be out of work. American Idol is taking him back. And whatever happened to Kevin Eubanks and all the musicians he put out of work when he left the Tonight Show?
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

At least Ricky Minor won't be out of work. American Idol is taking him back. And whatever happened to Kevin Eubanks and all the musicians he put out of work when he left the Tonight Show?

Kevin is on tour all over the world as part of the Dave Holland & Prism band.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Yesterday I heard that dancing with the stars announced that they are hiring a different band, so they are not going the canned music route.

This.

Apparently led by an MD who was an MD on American Idol.

DWTS New Band

So, they will still have a live band. Based on the American Idol experience of the new MD, perhaps this is DWTS' way of getting band that can stay "hip" with the modern music selections on the show.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Yesterday I heard that dancing with the stars announced that they are hiring a different band, so they are not going the canned music route.

This.

Apparently led by an MD who was an MD on American Idol.

DWTS New Band

So, they will still have a live band. Based on the American Idol experience of the new MD, perhaps this is DWTS' way of getting band that can stay "hip" with the modern music selections on the show.

Thank Christ for that.

Still something fishy and bizarre going on under the scenes though isn't there.

18 professional muso's can't get to sound like the director wants?? - impossible.

Brett

Outrageous! An 18 piece band comprised of excellent professional musicians not being able to pull off modern musc? Maybe they needed to tear their shirts off, expose their nipples, and bang out one chord progressions like The Black Eyed Peas...

Bullshit.

Like Dave said way back! , ( made me laugh out loud too! :D ).

Brett

Anyone else find it ironic that the Apollo Ohno clip ended with one of the judges talking about how great a job the band did and how well it worked with the dancers? :laugh:

My wife watches DWTS and yes I have watched a fair amount of it myself.

What was sort of a cool thing at first has become a joke.

It really is a popularity contest, not a dancing competition. Some pretty terrible dancers like Sarah Palin's daughter for example were kept on the show far far longer than their dancing or judges marks warranted, and at the expense of some good dancers. And it now happens every season. (as does the inclusion of some young Disney star who will probably win or at least do very very well. Who owns ABC again? ;) )

I suspect it is a combo of penny pinching and trying to appeal to a younger demographic. It is pandering to the same crap we hear on all mainstream media all the time anyway. If they had actually only used big band, latin and other traditional ballroom music, I think the show stands out and is something different. However niche is probably not what ABC is looking for.

tbh I thought the band was gone on the last season. I actually remember saying to my wife "Where is the band?"

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

Archived