Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do you Judge an 88-note weighted key's Action ??

engineerjoel

Each time I find myself in a music store,I'll test each of the weighted keyboards to see if they can pass the "Billy Joel Prelude/Angry Young Man" Test. I typically find that most keyboards don't respond fast enough and wimp out pretty quickly.

Yamaha CP-80/S80/S90es/P125/DGX-670/AN1x/MOTIF XS-Rack/CS6R/Roland D-50/Prophet 5(Rev 3.3.)/OBX8/Prophet 5 (Rev 4)/OB-8/Juno-60/Jupiter-6/Studiologic Numa Organ with Neo Ventilator/Korg Kronos

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always like to try some Moonlight Sonata to see how lightly and expressively I'm able to play. Can I "feather" the action?

Roland Fantom 06; Yamaha P-125; QSC K10; Cubase 13 Pro; Windows 10

I just play it. However, I'm always careful not to make a snap judgement.

For instance, a few years ago I tried out a Roland FP-4 in the music shop. At first the keybed felt spongy - like it was lined with neoprene at the bottom or something, but after a while I found it rather fit my heavy-handed style and I grew to like it.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I typically find that most keyboards don't respond fast enough and wimp out pretty quickly.

yes, fast note repetition is a failure of most weighted action keyboards. You have to wonder if engineers even ever thought to consider it!

I wonder what are the winners in this particular test if any?

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

I will give a +1 to "play it". If it feels good and sounds good it is good.

But also....

I check repeated notes. A shortcoming of many boards, as pointed out above.

I check how hard you need to play to send velocity 127 (if too easy, no amount of velocity curve adjustment will compensate).

I play softly and check out the ability to play with subtle dynamics at very low velocities. Often this is where "jumpy" keyboards jump the most.

I like to actually look at what velocitiy is being transmitted, and see if the board transmits consistently throughout the 0-127 range as you get louder.

I play chromatic scales and see if I feel like the black notes are consistent with the white notes, or if any notes in particular jump out or are too quiet.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Each time I find myself in a music store,I'll test each of the weighted keyboards to see if they can pass the "Billy Joel Prelude/Angry Young Man" Test. I typically find that most keyboards don't respond fast enough and wimp out pretty quickly.

If you play it hard like Billy Joel does , and I was the shop owner , you would be shown the door - possibly on the end of a size 10 boot. That's quite abusive to any keyboard.

Brett

Bring open-ear headphones and your ipod and play along with the your style of music for a good two or three hours. That's how long it takes to discover if you and the action are compatible. Years ago I picked up a Yamaha P120 (?) thinking the action was a little firm, but it would be "good for my technique." One hour into my first gig with the board, I was ready to throw it out the window. It was like in a dream where you're running but you're not getting anywhere. I returned it the next day.

Oh yea gota play it and play many others,

I have my own personal, sort of technical requirements:

The key feel some or most like the old style finish feel where the whites aren't so polished and the blacks have a matt like finish feel to them. Also the shape of the blacks at the ends from the top to the whites. Me, I like the keys to be a bit slippery so I can skid around when I want to, helps keep things smooth.

Key depth, Probably not the right term but, how far from key up to key depressed bottom, Again personal preference I like it to be around medium to a little shallow.

Resistance, this is a difficult one because you need it stiff enough to be fast enough, but if to stiff then it gets repulsive and of course I want it to be easy because while I enjoy it, I'll never be all that great at it.

Towards the bottom of the key stroke, on acoustic boards, you can feel a slite cur chunk from the inner workings, IF you can get that out of a DP or 88 controller then you know the manufacturer really cares.

There's also fulcrum point that affects resistance/key weight and is usually faked into the way the mechanism is designed and works.

Damper I wish more had contiuess damper inputs with polarity switching.

For acoustic grands I like Baldwins and love Yamaha for a DP/88 controller I love my Kawai. Now if I could only get a good 76 key synth or semi weighted, I loved my trinity before it was stolen, the Triton Extreme 76 has a good feel to it. Roland are pretty good aswell. Oh, and a HX PCB switch out in their recommended hammond too.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

I don't look for anything specific about the key finish or depth of travel, I just go on the overall feel playing it. I normally use Kachaturian's Tocatta in Eb Minor to test the technical quality of an action as it covers the whole range of the keyboard at a whole range of velocities and it's got a few very high speed repetitions which are very telling!

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmBgpaAzfog

If it passes that test, then it can probably handle anything from a technical point of view, but the second test is whether I could actually play it day in, day out. For that I use The Great Gig In The Sky as I know it inside out and playing it is second nature. If the sound from the board when I'm playing it matches the sound in my head, then I'm sold!

[video:youtube]

Needs to be heavy enough to feel ok for AC piano, needs to be light enough with a fast enough key return to play EPs, Clavs and organs.

Fatar TP40L does the trick for me. And it's quite robust and reliable. To be fair, I have played one of these actions (while working for Kurz) 40-50 hours/week since around 2007. So I'm just a tad biased.

Archived