Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Don't stop bee-lee....

MonksDream

http://static.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1339724715949_6628181.png

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We're giving this one a shot too. Did it in my old band, but we tuned down a 1/2 step and our guitar player had a high range. Hadn't added any Journey in this band because nobody quite had the range. I could usually sing the high note in the chorus the first couple times, then run out of steam by the end when it repeats. Well, I keep doing more and more high stuff - Styx, outfield, loverboy, foreigner, etc - and it dawned on my that this one's not any higher than those. So at practice when I was good and warmed up, I said hey, let's try it. I made it through the whole song. At the very end after a few repeats, I wasn't able to hold it quite as long, but I think that was more of a breathing thing. So we're giving it a shot. Just to be sure, I hit a Karaoke bar and sang it....made it through with lots of applause, so I think I'm good.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

one of my student bands is playing it in a month for a coffee house.

I'm playing keyboards (and LH bass) and students are playing drums, guitars and an 11 year old girl is singing. She can hit the notes, though the articulation isn't always great, but it is her first year so....

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

Not many people know this but the title was originally "Don't Start Not Believing". I'm not sure why they changed it.

Not sure if you are being serious or not (no emoticon), but I have heard/read in a couple of interviews with Jonathan Cain that "don't stop believing" was what his father told him when he was thinking about giving up the music biz.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

When the apocalypse has come and gone and beings from another galaxy land on this planet to survey what is left, this song will still be playing.

It's the prime example of a song I might, possibly, still like, if it wasn't so overplayed.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Not many people know this but the title was originally "Don't Start Not Believing". I'm not sure why they changed it.

Not sure if you are being serious or not (no emoticon), but I have heard/read in a couple of interviews with Jonathan Cain that "don't stop believing" was what his father told him when he was thinking about giving up the music biz.

This.

Jon was ready to give up and as he put it, his dad told him to never stop believing in himself.

He penned some basic lyrics after that. Then years later, when he hooked up with Neal, he presented the lyrics, then Neal said "play that rolling piano thing you were doing," and the rest is history.

The above is all based on an interview I watched a year ago with Jonathan.

Yeah, the song is played all the time. That being said, no other song gets the reaction this song gets when we play it.

Whether it's 100 people in a small club, or 9500 at the lake festival, the moment I start the first few notes there is an instant deafening roar from the crowd. Works for me ;)

As an aside, not sure if any of you are into watching Revolution on NBC. It's filmed mostly down in Austin. My bass player lives there and as been in several episode as a card dealer in "New Vegas." Anyway, funny scene last week where a group walks in, and Brett Michaels is on stage singing Every Rose....

The leader of the group says "he's still alive?" His partner says, "yeah, in 100 years all that will be left are the cockroaches and Brett Michaels." (joking about his constant comeback from everything).

DSB will probably suffer the same fate. Be around forever.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I guess some of you guys missed the article about the song Cain wrote for Keyboard not too long ago.

http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/the-journey-of-dont-stop-believin/147809

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I guess some of you guys missed the article about the song Cain wrote for Keyboard not too long ago.

http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/the-journey-of-dont-stop-believin/147809

Joe, I had not seen that before. Thank you! I guess the way the interview was broken up, together I saw had these points, but confused me on who did what , when.

Also, seeing the transcription show that I've been playing that IV section wrong. argghh.. A subtle difference but a difference that is heard. Now I have it right :)

Just one more reason I love this place. I'm always learning something new to help me be better.

Cool stuff!!

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I could have sworn there was a thread about the article at the time but I guess you missed it. I'm glad you caught it now. I also look forward to hearing you play the tune correctly! ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yes many of the bands I've played in over the last ten years or so, wrap up their show with that song and it is always a huge crowd pleaser and sing-along. In fact I always get a laugh out of just how *excited* an inebriated crowd seems to get when you start into it. Same for "Livin' on a Prayer" but this one really takes the crown. It's almost as if they're surprised, momentarily forgetting that every cover band they've seen every weekend also inevitably plays it. They just love singing along with it, god bless 'em.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Archived