Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Big Photography Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps I have not been on this forum for long enough, Brett, because I haven't a clue what you just said! TPTTTB ??????

However, I HAVE been around long enough to do this: :idk :poke::keys::D

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Can you give me some advice about photographing the sun please? This is something which I have never done when using an analogue camera, for fear of damaging my eyes, but with an iPad or iPhone, I have started doing it as I presume that looking at the screen removes all danger. However, is there any danger of damage to the camera itself do you think?

Here are a couple of pics I took in the Alps. You will see that each one has a small green "ball". The ball is in a different place in every picture, but there is always only one. What has caused this?

Any advice you can give me about techniques for photographing the sun would be most appreciated. I can't help feeling that perhaps I shouldn't be doing it...... Many thanks. :)

Can you give me some advice about photographing the sun please? This is something which I have never done when using an analogue camera, for fear of damaging my eyes, but with an iPad or iPhone, I have started doing it as I presume that looking at the screen removes all danger. However, is there any danger of damage to the camera itself do you think?

Here are a couple of pics I took in the Alps. You will see that each one has a small green "ball". The ball is in a different place in every picture, but there is always only one. What has caused this?

Any advice you can give me about techniques for photographing the sun would be most appreciated. I can't help feeling that perhaps I shouldn't be doing it...... Many thanks. :)

Some thoughts:

It's ok to photograph the sun, though optics can sometimes make it not look so good. Those green dots you're seeing are lens flare. These are iPad/iPhone photos you took, right? The lenses and aperture are very small relative to something like an SLR, so the flare looks a little bit different from these tiny cameras sometimes. Expensive lenses have coatings on the glass elements that cut down on internal reflections and reduce lens flare.

You should be fine taking pictures of the sun as long as you aren't pointing your iPhone at it for extended periods of time. The lens is taking all light from the scene and focusing it onto you camera's image sensor, so your sensor will heat up especially when pointed directly at the sun. However, the minute or two you spend composing the image shouldn't heat the sensor up enough to cause any sort of damage. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. :)

Assuming a digital camera, the only real danger if you are not looking through the viewfinder is overheating the sensor, which is rather difficult to do since you'd have to do that for a long period of time, and probably on a hot day.

Aesthetically, what a lot of people, myself included, like to do is place the sun so that it is partially obscured, peaking out from a tree, building, or whatever, then use a small aperture to cause it to appear as a sunburst, such as this photo I took in a ghost town:

http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels/alabamahills-monolake-bodie2012/images/1-013randsburgendofthetrail.jpg

I do not know if you can do this on an iPhone or not since I have not tried, but obviously, you would have less control over settings ordinarily, so it might be more challenging.

Very nice photo's xKnuckles , that dot might be an orb :)

Brett

Thanks very much Brett! :)

An orb eh........ :love: ....got all excited there for a minute....thought you meant this: ;)

(Not my photo....)

http://royalexhibitions.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/74001.jpg

Thanks for the info Richie & Ken. So pleased to hear that I can carry on doing this without damaging my "i"s...... ;) I also love partially obscured sun pics, Ken, but I don't know if I could achieve that sunburst effect..... I shall experiment when the opportunity presents itself.

I have now switched to an iPhone from an iPad. I am seeing no difference in the photos, but it is a LOT easier to carry around. Also less difficult to control in the wind, but am terrified that I will drop it....

I have been following this thread with great interest.

I am in video production, and so I have great familiarity with using cameras, but I realized I don't have a decent video camera or even still camera. So, I finally made the plunge and got a Canon 700D.

I don't know if anyone would be interested in my photos though. I like to take close up pics of weird things like peeling paint and stains.

Any chance you could show us your orbs Brett?

Hi xKnuckles , you are most welcome :) , I just rejoined Flickr today (joined years ago and lost my password) , and just have to find them in my archives , and hop them through Flickr to you via PM after I pull the right levers.

They are 2 special family group shots where they appeared :).

Brett

I have been following this thread with great interest.

I am in video production, and so I have great familiarity with using cameras, but I realized I don't have a decent video camera or even still camera. So, I finally made the plunge and got a Canon 700D.

I don't know if anyone would be interested in my photos though. I like to take close up pics of weird things like peeling paint and stains.

Whether people are interested in it rarely enters in to it for me. I take photos of what I want and how I want because, well, that's what I like to do. :D

And by the way, that's really not that weird. There are thousands of people, including me, who LOVE what is often referred to as UrbEx (Urban Exploration), which basically involves going into abandoned places and photographing for art, documentation, interest, and fun. Some people also call this abandonography. There's a few other cute little phrases for it as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first four shots are of the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum in West Virginia:

http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels/westvirginia2010/imagesforeverything/A-westvirginia2010/0122chippedpaint.jpg

http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels/westvirginia2010/imagesforeverything/A-westvirginia2010/0255chairwall.jpg

http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels/westvirginia2010/imagesforeverything/A-westvirginia2010/0256greendoorbluedoor.jpg

http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels/westvirginia2010/imagesforeverything/A-westvirginia2010/0128decayingceiling.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These last two shots are of Santa Laura and Humberstone in the Atacama Desert in Chile:

http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels/chile2011/images/images-chile3/050chile-santalaura.jpg

http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels/chile2011/images/images-chile3/069chile-humberstone2.jpg

xKnuckles , I tried to send you the picture , but the message came up saying your PM's quota was full.

Brett

On Flickr, Brett?? :roll: absolutely classic!! Clearly I am incredibly popular in photographic circles :wave: ....... ;) .....Ok maybe not....... :(:idea: In reality, I have only ever had one PM on Flickr and it was a welcome message from............flickr (which I have yet to read....) :bor: Perhaps it was a v long document..... ? Or perhaps you sent the message to the wrong person, Brett? xKnuckles was already taken when I joined (gets more surreal by the minute! But True!!), so I had to alter my name slightly.....

BTW - I like your dog photo. Really cute. Was hoping that you would post some photos at some point. :)

Interesting pics Ken - nice to glimpse a completely different aspect of your photography. :)

....which basically involves going into abandoned places and photographing for art, documentation, interest, and fun. Some people also call this abandonography....

Perhaps you might enjoy photographing one of my jazz gigs then...... ;)

xKnuckles , I tried to send you the picture , but the message came up saying your PM's quota was full.

Brett

On Flickr, Brett?? :roll: absolutely classic!! Clearly I am incredibly popular in photographic circles :wave: ....... ;) .....Ok maybe not....... :(:idea: In reality, I have only ever had one PM on Flickr and it was a welcome message from............flickr (which I have yet to read....) :bor: Perhaps it was a v long document..... ? Or perhaps you sent the message to the wrong person, Brett? xKnuckles was already taken when I joined (gets more surreal by the minute! But True!!), so I had to alter my name slightly.....

BTW - I like your dog photo. Really cute. Was hoping that you would post some photos at some point. :)

Thanks! :). No , I mean your PM inbox is chocka full HERE! , you must be very popular! :D.......

Brett

Well, compared to the activity on Flickr, clearly my KC inbox is the electronic equivalent of Space Mountain, but I actually have a total of 6 messages, acquired over a period of 18 months. It says quota 6/400. This does not seem wildly excessive to me - but I have nothing to compare it with. The word "quota" is in red though. Is that signifigant? Is it a warning about potential dire consequences of such rampant, unrestrained messaging?

A car I worked on last year ,

Snap!

(well, I didn't work on the car, but I did design and build the automation. And take the photos)

http://airsoundvision.com.au/site1308/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/1975CorvetteStingray01.jpg

http://airsoundvision.com.au/1975-corvette-stingray/

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.