Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Big Photography Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any of you folks have experience with medium format? I'm getting the bug to shoot on film again. I bought a 4x5 view camera and a really nice scanner a few years ago, but the view camera has pretty much been sitting on the shelf since I don't have a good means to set up a darkroom at home to develop sheet film.

Medium format is attractive because it still has a large image size, while being more convenient, aka easier to carry around than a view and I can send of the rolls of film to get developed easily (I guess I could develop at home, but still the thought of having to get everything in place to do it seems like a hassle for something I may not do that often). I've been cruising ebay for the past couple days, a modular 6x6 like a Hassleblad or Bronica strikes my fancy the most, though there are some other cool cameras from Fujifilm and Mamiya. Just curious about opinions from anyone who's used any medium format camera before.

I had a Bronica once, about 45 years ago. Bronica wide angle lens and bought a non Bronica normal lens. At the time I did have a darkroom, for B&W (I did develop a couple of rolls of 35 mm Etkachrome once).

Today, IWould much prefer a high res DSLR, but I have not kept up with the market, a 2-1/4x2-1/4 might be affordable now.

To me, the real magic in pictures is enhanced by the control of a darkroom or computer processing after the exposure is made. All I have is a Nikon point & shoot, with good res and zoom, but it exceeds my present camera-fu.

I did like the larger format. Also had the baby Speed Graphic with both sheet film and 120 roll film.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Any of you folks have experience with medium format? I'm getting the bug to shoot on film again. I bought a 4x5 view camera and a really nice scanner a few years ago, but the view camera has pretty much been sitting on the shelf since I don't have a good means to set up a darkroom at home to develop sheet film.

Medium format is attractive because it still has a large image size, while being more convenient, aka easier to carry around than a view and I can send of the rolls of film to get developed easily (I guess I could develop at home, but still the thought of having to get everything in place to do it seems like a hassle for something I may not do that often). I've been cruising ebay for the past couple days, a modular 6x6 like a Hassleblad or Bronica strikes my fancy the most, though there are some other cool cameras from Fujifilm and Mamiya. Just curious about opinions from anyone who's used any medium format camera before.

I don't have any experience with medium format. What do you want to shoot with it?

2652kenlee_archesnatpark-wolferanchmilkyway-2014-06-26-0358am-20sf28iso4000-960px.jpg

Wolfe Ranch, an old cabin in Arches National Park from a time long long ago. I light painted this long exposure photo with the Milky Way overhead.

I had a Bronica once, about 45 years ago. Bronica wide angle lens and bought a non Bronica normal lens. At the time I did have a darkroom, for B&W (I did develop a couple of rolls of 35 mm Etkachrome once).

Today, IWould much prefer a high res DSLR, but I have not kept up with the market, a 2-1/4x2-1/4 might be affordable now.

To me, the real magic in pictures is enhanced by the control of a darkroom or computer processing after the exposure is made. All I have is a Nikon point & shoot, with good res and zoom, but it exceeds my present camera-fu.

I did like the larger format. Also had the baby Speed Graphic with both sheet film and 120 roll film.

The 6x6/2-1/4x2/1/4 film camera prices are reasonable now. Something like a Bronica you can get for a few hundred bucks, an older Mamiya 6x7 or 6x4.5. Hasselblads are more expensive, seem to be going for around $800-$900 for 500 C series. I'm leaning towards a Hasselblad right now as they still make them so there are plenty of parts available if I ever need to make a repair.

Medium format digital backs are still outrageously expensive. I'm taking the hybrid approach here - shooting on film then making hi-res scans of the negative to edit on the computer.

I don't have any experience with medium format. What do you want to shoot with it?

Everything!

A lone outhouse in the ghost town of Gold Point in Nevada. The inside is aglow. Could this be a ghost smoking a pipe while taking care of some business?

Title: The Outhouse At The Edge of the World (3493)

Photo: Ken Lee Photography

Info: Nikon D610, AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED lens at 14mm, 260 seconds, f/8, ISO 200. 2014-07-14 00:33. I used an LED flashlight for light painting.

3493-2014-07-14-0033-260sf8iso200-outhouse-kenlee_goldpoint-1000px.jpg

A lone outhouse in the ghost town of Gold Point in Nevada. The inside is aglow. Could this be a ghost smoking a pipe while taking care of some business?

Title: The Outhouse At The Edge of the World (3493)

Photo: Ken Lee Photography

Info: Nikon D610, AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED lens at 14mm, 260 seconds, f/8, ISO 200. 2014-07-14 00:33. I used an LED flashlight for light painting.

3493-2014-07-14-0033-260sf8iso200-outhouse-kenlee_goldpoint-1000px.jpg

Brings new meaning to bowling a 111.......(sorry if that's a bit obscure, but I'm hoping someone will understand).

Amazing photo.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Great photo Ken , that's the ghost of one of those brilliant digital keyboard pioneers , who still enjoys a good dumping of all objects :).

He's hanging around earth to make sure sound quality doesn't progress too rapidly , and thus hurt sales at his beloved keyboard factory -- was suggested by someone here once :)

Brett

Great photo Ken , that's the ghost of one of those brilliant digital keyboard pioneers , who still enjoys a good dumping of all objects :).

He's hanging around earth to make sure sound quality doesn't progress too rapidly , and thus hurt sales at his beloved keyboard factory -- was suggested by someone here once :)

Brett

I'm glad you know a lot about outhouse ghosts! :D

I hope he's also here to bring good tidings and analog synths to all.

About 6 pages back I uploaded a still of my neighborhood shot from my quadcopter in daylight hours. I decided to see what a nighttime shot would look like, and this is the result:

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL96/792815/1412465/410531548.jpg

It's actually facing away from Casio headquarters simply because nobody in that direction had any Christmas lights out.......yet. I'll try again soon.

Once again, no photographic talent, just combining one hobby with another to get a different perspective.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

It's actually facing away from Casio headquarters simply because nobody in that direction had any Christmas lights out.......yet. I'll try again soon.

Jake

I expect to look out my window at Casio and see you buzzing by trying to capture images of a product prototype. ;)

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

This seems rather good.... :) Aviary iPad photo editing app - which is free of charge - is giving away ALL of its in app purchases FREE between now and early January. You will need an Adobe ID (which costs nothing if you do not already have one) All features & add ons will then be free - total value over $100! I have not used it yet but it looks very good and gets all 5 star ratings..... :)

Aviary app

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Another picture taken from HDVideo, with some processing (including a rotation), but again no painting or pixel level control:

http://www.theover.org/Keybdmg/Pictures/20140426174957%281%29bmrc.png

I think it's the original Veronica "pirate" AM radio ship that I heard the antenna's (on top of the masts) signal from on my radio as a kid (in the 70s).

T.

Nicely captured, Mike. We've had a lot of dreary foggy weather around this area as well

Here is something a little different for me, a bit of "studio" photography. I don't have a legit lighting setup so it took a while to get this shot, but it came out good enough for not really knowing what I was doing. This is a gift I made for a friend who just had their first child.

16006288506_1fe0be23da_b.jpg

Rocking Cat by rpantaleo, on Flickr

startrails-jumborocksnorth-kenlee-joshuatree-18min-30sf28iso400-700px.jpg

This always seemed like a holiday photo to me. This is a long exposure star trails photo taken at night in Joshua Tree National Park on a very cold night in the California desert, showing the celestial movements around the North Star as we see it here on earth.

Thanks, Mike!!!!!!

I shot this a little more than a year ago with a D7000/Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. I had a great time shooting this and the other photos.

I did, however, forget my tripod. I know, how can a photographer do that? But I did. I keep a back-up tripod in my car, however, and at the time, this was my Dad's old 1970s Sears tripod, which got rather cold as the night wore on since it was around freezing.

I got a lot of really good shots on this trip, though, so it was all good. And I had a really special feeling while shooting a lot of these during the holiday weekend, and really wanted to convey that sort of feeling in this star trails photo.