Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Big Photography Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing to compare to the LA Times but the other day one of my photos was selected as an "Editors Choice" over on 500px.com

4.jpg

Pumpkin time by Mike Martin on 500px

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

^^^ I had quite a chuckle to myself as well :D .

Ken , if your Dinosaur came to life , you would probably have a heart attack :D.

Totally Awesome photo's of the Tribes People Ken!!!!!!

(Congrats on your Win!!!!)

Brett

Yeah, I read that and thought, "Hmmmmmm...."

The dinosaurs would be terrifying if they came to life, as they are all monstrously life-sized. Wow, that would be something!!!!!!!

Thanks!

Congrats Ken on your feature in the LA Times!

The Day of the Dead photos are very cool. I like the processing giving them that wet plate style look!

Oh cool, thanks! I really love doing those with that style. I used to get carried away and really really screw with them to make them look authentic, but I've got them a little sharper than they ordinarily would be if the paper were that antique now, just to give it a hint of modernity.

Anyway, thank you very much!

Nothing to compare to the LA Times but the other day one of my photos was selected as an "Editors Choice" over on 500px.com

4.jpg

Well, actually, that IS very impressive. 500px is a very well-respected place for photographers, begun by photographers, and those guys are really really really really picky, so it is really quite flattering to be chosen for that!!!

Thanks Ken,

I'm not sure what it all means in the long run. This photo was taken two years ago and posted on 500px shortly after I took it. It got a few likes at the time and it was one they contacted me about submitting for licensing but I've never made $.01 from any photo.

I think its a seasonal thing that makes people like it this photo. I have one of my cat under the Christmas tree that got some likes last year due the timing of it. I'm not sure either of them are my best but it's nice to get noticed. I now have several hundred 500px followers when before I had only a few.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Well, that sounds cool. Since 500px is trying to start up licensing, they are looking for anything that they feel will sell. But the stuff that sells also has to be very good quality. So, yeah, congrats.

Looks like I currently have 159 followers. Pretty good, particularly since I have almost zero interaction on there and am not very active. I just upload my favorite shots and otherwise just let it be.

I have over 5900 followers on my Facebook photography page and almost 323,000 (!) people who have added me to their circle on Google+. On these I am considerably more active.

And...well, this has nothing to do with our conversation, but here's another photo I took this weekend of the Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos) festivities.

5724kenlee_diadelosmuertos2014_d610-nikkor18200-prettygirl-800oxlong.jpg

I am one of the featured photographers in the LA Times. They interviewed me and are displaying some of my photos.

The People Behind the Places: What inspires Ken Lee and his photography

For the last several years, we've asked readers to share their best travel photos with us for our annual reader photo issue. We've received many stunning images, and we've gotten to know many budding photographers and travel enthusiasts.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/la-trb-photographer-profile-ken-lee-20141021-story.html

Warmest congratulations Ken!! Delighted for you. :) And what a great article!!

Day of the dead photos - amazing.

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

4.jpg

Well, actually, that IS very impressive. 500px is a very well-respected place for photographers, begun by photographers, and those guys are really really really really picky, so it is really quite flattering to be chosen for that!!!

I second that. Definitely v impressive - and well deserved! Congratulations Mike!! :)

"Blood-swept lands & Seas of Red": The moat of the Tower of London is currently adorned with 888,246 ceramic poppies to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the First World War. An incredibly beautiful and moving sight.

15738759045_c33bff689c_b.jpg

Tower of London, November 2014 by xxKnuckles, on Flickr

Love that shot xKnuckes!

Overcast day today, I saw this guy on my drive home. Got home grabbed my camera and went back and he was still there. I got pretty close before he got annoyed with me and few away.

4.jpg

Bird on a Wire by Mike Martin on 500px

-Mike Martin

Casio

The sun came out so I put the camera in the car when I went to the store. I saw what looked like a plastic bag stuck in the stop of a tree blowing in the wind. When I got closer...

4.jpg

Broad-winged Hawk by Mike Martin on 500px

This one also got annoyed with me...

15566837680_c111ecbbc0_b.jpgBroad-winged Hawk by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

-Mike Martin

Casio

Very cool, Mike. Good and sharp, even in flight.

Back to night sky photos for a moment. This is when I was briefly testing another lens a few months ago.

1589kenlee_borregosprings14-elephantmilkyway-20sf28iso4000-2014-06-18-1235am-960px.jpg

Some serious nature photos there!

Here's one of a wall, I don't know the actual objects being filmed or photographed, taken with a (good) phone camera

http://www.theover.org/Keybdmg/lightwallb2.png

It's in the vicinity of the dutch MTV offices, when properly blown up (there are just enough pixels in the original) it looks a bit like a film print. This 1024 pixels version has been processed to bring out more in a smaller contrast range, which unfortunately makes some colors appear where they shouldn't be.

T.

Incredible pics once again, Mike & Ken. Love those Hawks! :) I am learning tons about photography just by looking at your pics.

Indeed, I believe I have begun to work out where I am going wrong. My main problem seems to be that when I take a photo of "what looks like a plastic bag stuck in the top of a tree blowing in the wind", it comes out looking like this:

15782401102_73a88eafbf.jpg

image by xxKnuckles, on Flickr

Rather than this: ;)

4.jpg

Broad-winged Hawk by Mike Martin on 500px

Oh yeah, I hate it when that happens. :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4827kenlee_mtpinos-20sf8iso4000-2014-07-28-2209-milkyway-1000px.jpg

This is a photo taken about an hour and twenty minute drive from my house in Los Angeles. This photo was near the top of Mt. Pinos, one of people's favorite stargazing areas in Los Angeles. Although in close proximity to the metropolis, you can see the Milky Way quite clearly, as you can see here.

The bottom of the trees are illuminated by a night cyclist, riding slowly along a path from one of the camping sites to the parking lot.

Ok Ken, I'm in LA next week. Which night are we pulling an all nighter and going out shooting stars?

-Mike Martin

Casio

I have no idea.

Are you serious? I could only do this during a weekend if I can at all. Hafta check later.

Oh yeah, I hate it when that happens. :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4827kenlee_mtpinos-20sf8iso4000-2014-07-28-2209-milkyway-1000px.jpg

This is a photo taken about an hour and twenty minute drive from my house in Los Angeles. This photo was near the top of Mt. Pinos, one of people's favorite stargazing areas in Los Angeles. Although in close proximity to the metropolis, you can see the Milky Way quite clearly, as you can see here.

The bottom of the trees are illuminated by a night cyclist, riding slowly along a path from one of the camping sites to the parking lot.

Better than the stars we saw on Interstellar Ken :) .

Brett

[Rubbing my hands together in anticipation of the Mike Martin/Ken Lee photo shoot results!!] :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I have no idea.

Are you serious? I could only do this during a weekend if I can at all. Hafta check later.

I'm in town Tuesday-Friday, leaving Friday morning. ;-)

-Mike Martin

Casio

So I found some lenses at a thrift store. 3 of them that I'll keep plus a camera and another lens that I'll sell. Total spend $35.

They're all M42 mounts which can easily adapt to a Canon with an adapter.

These two shots were taken with a Super-Takumar 55mm f/1.8

15812414535_eac7c007b2_b.jpgIMG_0546 by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

15192967573_5fe568b9ae_b.jpgIMG_0548 by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

-Mike Martin

Casio