Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Big Photography Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't need a fancy camera to do any of this. You just need patience. You don't need a fast lens. Why? You are shooting long exposures. It just needs to be sharp and focused. You don't need a camera that is great with low light, shooting continuous burst at 6 frames per second, great with high ISOs, or any of that. You just need a camera with manual controls, which is basically any DSLR, ILC, 4/3rds, etc.

And a good, steady tripod? Possibly a remote trigger as to not shake the camera on those long exposures.

Yup. You need those two items regardless of what kind of camera you have, modest or no.

I've shot long exposure photos with a Joby Gorillapod before. That's good for waterfalls and stuff like that. It might be able to do Milky Way shots, which are often 15-25 seconds in exposure length, but I wouldn't want to do that, and I sure wouldn't want to use them for star trails. But for waterfall photos of 1-4 seconds, it's pretty great.

And a good, steady tripod? Possibly a remote trigger as to not shake the camera on those long exposures.

+1 on the remote trigger. I have the Nikon ML-L3 infrared remote trigger...light, small and cheap. Great for long exposures and better than the camera's self-timer for getting into group photos.

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

If you have a Canon camera there is some (free) optional firmware you can use called Magic Lantern that has all kinds of options that help with long exposures, time lapse and more. They have a feature that allows you to take a photo by waving your hand in front of the proximity sensor so you don't need a remote trigger to avoid camera shake.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

You may also use your smartphone as a controller. Check out www.triggertrap.com for details. I love this. It's very very easy to use, and is cheap, requiring only a dongle to connect your smartphone to your camera, about US$30. The downside? There are two. One is that it ties up your phone, and furthermore, runs down your battery a bit quicker because it is continually processing and showing on the screen. The second is that because the screen is continually on, it sometimes attracts insects or whatever if you are shooting in the wilderness at night.

But all in all, it's pretty great. I just used it last night to shoot some star trails photos. It also automatically sets the time between exposures for you so you don't have to guess what your camera can do, unlike many intervalometers.

Suh-weeeet!
World Class photo!.
Great photo Richie!! :)

Thanks!

Ken, many thanks for all the camera info! SO helpful to hear your advice. :)

With regard to Lightroom, please could someone tell me whether, if I were to get an old non-subscription copy of it, it would it still work with the iPad app? This is most important to me because I use the iPad to the exclusion of the computer whenever possible. Thank you.

Everything I've read indicates that the iPad app requires a Creative Cloud subscription, unfortunately :(

Thanks Richie. I have searched and have come to the same conclusion. Guess I'll just have to get over my Lightroom addiction. Fortunately I still have Leonardo on my iPad...... time to give that a proper try.

I did also read somewhere that every time lightroom is updated, the people who previously took out the free 1 month trial get another month.... Obviously this may not be true, but I will certainly look into it when the time comes..... :)

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Excellent advice about the long exposures, tripods, remote triggers & canon firmware. Thanks everyone! You guys are writing my Christmas list for me. :) I really appreciate all the tips & advice. :)

I will investigate trigger trap....

Ok this next picture is a bit out of the ordinary - but I feel I simply must share it with you. (The subject seems perfect for a musicians photography thread!) :) If I saw this pic, I would suspect that it was not genuine, but I can assure you that this is 100% genuine: a close friend of mine forgot he had left his iPod on the barbecue and then he lit it...........resulting in some frayed tempers and, regrettably, this friPod.....

Taken as usual on my fortunately not yet friPad... ;)

14503521952_de8bb76cd7_b.jpg

friPod by xxKnuckles, on Flickr

Ok this next picture is a bit out of the ordinary - but I feel I simply must share it with you. (The subject seems perfect for a musicians photography thread!) :) If I saw this pic, I would suspect that it was not genuine, but I can assure you that this is 100% genuine: a close friend of mine forgot he had left his iPod on the barbecue and then he lit it...........resulting in some frayed tempers and, regrettably, this friPod.....

Taken as usual on my fortunately not yet friPad... ;)

Cool photo. Nothing that a little barbeque sauce can't fix...

www.wjwcreative.com

A view from a visit today to the Missouri Botanical Garden, with slight tweaking in Paint.NET:

14511705601_9cbc6c5359_c.jpgReflecting pool and Climatron by wjw0608, on Flickr

Amazing photo! , but I would be very disappointed if I went there , and those floating shapes were no where near this colorful :-).

I've always wanted to build a geodome house! :D.

Brett

Apple retires Aperture and iPhoto, to be replaced with Photos for OS X

At this point, I'm not happy with this idea (my Aperture library is 25 GB, and I have it backed up on Time Machine - what's my backup if it's 'in the cloud'?), but Apple has surprised me before. I hope it's a good app.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks, Bretty and xknuckles. You would not be disappointed, Bretty, they are just as colorful in person. The geodesic dome houses a tropical forest that is quite spectacular, if a little warm and humid this time of year.

www.wjwcreative.com

not sure why i have all these bug pictures. (-)

14355013849_020a3e00c0_b.jpgIMG_3401 by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

14354976020_bd1df68b33_b.jpgIMG_3407 by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

14518519106_64b91c6eb0_b.jpgIMG_3458 by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

He was very small, smaller than the fly.

I have a collection of Minolta lenses back from my 35mm film days and my X-700 camera. Minolta lenses don't adapt well to Canon camera. You have to use an adapter with optics which ruins the quality. The adapter I have allows you to take out the optics. Then I use a old 2x Minolta adapter that also lets you take out the optics so it's just a long extension tube and in this case I used a 50mm f/1.4 lens.

It's a challenge especially with moving objects. These pictures were taken at around f/5.6 so you can see how narrow the focus is.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Richie,

Here is the same Minolta 50mm f/1.4 lens without the "extension tube". Just using the Canon adapter without the optics - which gives me a focus range that is probably less than 5 feet.

http://ppcdn.500px.org/75052165/525fad3db3e3f5e953b5c71b8371e65872c3df64/4.jpg

Daylily by Mike Martin on 500px

-Mike Martin

Casio

Flowers have been amazing this year:

http://ppcdn.500px.org/75201151/199e254955147460ac0c6090f58582fb63c32126/4.jpg

Flowers by Mike Martin on 500px

-Mike Martin

Casio