Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Big Photography Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have a suggestion for a 24"-27" monitor with accurate color reproduction and not too expensive?

The Asus one Theo mentions seems pretty good. Dell Ultrasharp and NEC monitors in that price range ought to be decent as well.

If you want to take it a step further, you can get a monitor calibrating device like this.

Actually.....seeing it here that 2nd photo does look a bit overdone. Here it is again with a more natural look.....

I prefer this one, but am wondering why the tree trunk in the front feels disembodied from the rest of the photo. I don't know whether that's processing or the way the light hits the tree compared to the rest of the scene or whether you used a flash on the tree trunk or what. Anyway, they're both beautiful!

Does anyone have a suggestion for a 24"-27" monitor with accurate color reproduction and not too expensive?

I don't know. I am using an old Apple Cinema 30" monitor that I bought from my friend used. When I got it not so long ago, I felt like I was seeing my photos for the first time. The colors and details were so much nicer. Wow. It makes such a huge difference.

And running Pro Tools is soooo much nicer now that I can see much more (I went from a cheap $200 19" screen to this amazing thing).

Taken with my Tamron 70-300. Heavily cropped.

http://ppcdn.500px.org/71128917/82dea3e67f9e443063f91a7586b0032b17161a4e/4.jpg

Red on a Fence by Mike Martin on 500px

Mike, I must say that your bird shots are superb. I keep to returning to them for another look. :) Is this one a cardinal?

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Actually.....seeing it here that 2nd photo does look a bit overdone. Here it is again with a more natural look.....

I prefer this one, but am wondering why the tree trunk in the front feels disembodied from the rest of the photo. I don't know whether that's processing or the way the light hits the tree compared to the rest of the scene or whether you used a flash on the tree trunk or what. Anyway, they're both beautiful!

Thanks very much Ken. I was using my iPad as usual, so no flash. The processing was not extensive on that pic, but the natural light was quite varied as you will have seen. Very interesting to hear your comments. :)

Lovely clear chicken, Theo. I find photographing birds is one of the most difficult things. They are small, forever moving and hate cameras...... But in spite of all that I keep trying to do it and have deleted more bird photos than anything else.

Using video is such a good idea..... Would (hopefully) solve the movement problem at least.... Do you ever try to get them in flight?

Apologies - but I cannot resist adding this bird photo also - even though it's not particularly good (...it is, however, probably the best bird photo I have ever managed to take.....). It has quite a nice story, though. This little bird started visiting my house a couple of months ago and spending literally hours each day tapping on the windows. He also seemed to follow me around the house, for whatever room I was in, he seemed to be there tapping away. I wanted to take his picture, but as soon as I pulled out the iPad and approached him he would fly off.

However, he kept coming and I was able to try on enough occasions that he allowed me to get closer and closer..... And getting VERY close was essential, as I never use the zoom on my iPad as it is awful and destroys the picture quality. The windows are small (each pane is about 14") and the bird is tiny, so I literally had to get within a very few feet of him.

After a few weeks he started bringing his girlfriend, but she only turned up for about a week or so then he came alone again.... (Perhaps she was not impressed that he was more into drumming than hunting for food)....... But the two of them were kind enough to allow me some pics one day.

He stopped coming about three weeks ago. Hopefully he may return one day... :)

The picture was taken on an iPad. Tiny bit of cropping, contrast & a little sharpening.

14244253991_12a07fc353_b.jpg

Window Peckers by xxKnuckles, on Flickr

You people have really great bird photos! I don't think this one quite matches others, but it's silly looking, and that counts for something! :D

http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels/westvirginia2011/images/178ostrich.jpg

Thanks very much Ken. I was using my iPad as usual, so no flash. The processing was not extensive on that pic, but the natural light was quite varied as you will have seen. Very interesting to hear your comments. :)

Okay, I like the photo regardless. Sometimes, the light just hits foreground objects a certain way and they look different.

There are a handful of spots that have opened up for my 2-day Star Trails and Light Painting Workshop in Borrego Springs, California, on the 5th and 6th of July 2014. Contact me if interested or sign up via meetup.com. Thanks!

http://www.meetup.com/Night-photography-lovers/events/176804782/?_af_eid=176804782&a=uc1_te&_af=event

http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels/borregosprings-2013august/images/3034_kenlee_borregospringsnightsky-scorpiongrasshoppermilkyway.jpg

http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels/anza-borregodesertstatepark-nightskyphotos-march2014/images/startrails-horses-27min-30sf28iso400-960px.jpg

http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels/anza-borregodesertstatepark-nightskyphotos-march2014/images/7110kenlee_borregosprings-elephant-trunkblast-30sf63iso640-960px.jpg

It's always good to have one's pictures appreciated. A little point about the video capture: the cams I've used roughly the last decade were High Definition cams (like 1080i and 1080p), otherwise the resolution is too low to get serious pictures from.

Here's a cut-out from a screen-dump from "windows media player" playing a 28mb/s h246 film from my latest cam, probably with Nvidia's "vdpau" improvements, of a parrot "lifting off":

http://www.theover.org/Diary/Ldi116/screenshot20cm.jpg

of course what's good for a frame in a movie (at 50fps) isn't necessarily good for a still ! At least I did not any processing on this one. It's not a funny picture, as some of the previous ones of you guys were!

T.

Guys and Gals,

I am looking to sell some of my lesser-used camera gear. The gear is as follows:

Canon SL1 w/EF-S 18-55mm IS STM Lens

Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 Zoom Lens

Canon 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens

I bought all this as a compact setup to accompany me on a business trip to South Africa last summer, so the gear isn't even a year old yet. The SL1 is a great little camera, and is quite literally the smallest DSLR on the market. Quality construction with huge touchscreen which is really nice. I really like it, but I hardly ever use it and would prefer some new lenses instead.

You can see pictures taken with this camera and lenses listed here.

I like to get $500 USD for the SL1, $150 for 75-300mm, and $100 for the 40mm. Let me know if you're interested in anything.

-Rich

Some from Tokyo, Japan this week.

14107976409_1eaaeb9cb4_b.jpgIMG_1823 by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

14291321921_8f198c672b_b.jpgIMG_1829 by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

14107961979_0b556ba28d_b.jpgIMG_1774 by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

those are incredible, Mike. Tokyo is on my bucket list. Love the 7-11 sign in the 2nd photo.

Thank you. It is an incredible place. Usually my trips here are very short so I do not have too much opportunity to get out. These were all taken the other night all within a short walk of my hotel. I'll probably get out again tonight to take as many as I can.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

http://ppcdn.500px.org/72064485/b60231c145db40f13848b2bfd55957f07fd7295a/4.jpg

Tokyo Old and New by Mike Martin on 500px

-Mike Martin

Casio

Wow, I'm looking at these on a different monitor and it appears the the exposure is completely blown out. Just when I start to trust the display on my laptop. Time to re-edit.

UPDATE: Image links above have been replaced with new images.

-Mike Martin

Casio