Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Big Photography Thread

Somehow I broke one of the images but since it's been quoted I can't edit the post. If you click on the image link it still works.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

High-res version of Window Into Infinity, a fun selfie I took last weekend in the desert.

http://500px.com/photo/72231137/window-into-infinity-by-ken-lee?from=user_library

http://kenleephotography.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/323kenlee_joshuatreeselfie2014-5-20sf28iso5000-312am-2014-05-25-960px.png

If you wish to learn to take photos of the night sky like this one and learn star trails and light painting photography like many of the other photos I have posted on 500px.com, we have a handful of available slots that opened up for a 2-Day Star Trails and Light Painting Photography Workshop that I am giving in Borrego Springs, California July 5-6. We'll still keep the group a small one, with less than ten people. You hafta sign up for meetup.com, which takes two seconds. Details here! http://www.meetup.com/Night-photography-lovers/events/176804782/?_af_eid=176804782&a=uc1_te&_af=event

Somehow I broke one of the images but since it's been quoted I can't edit the post. If you click on the image link it still works.

I like the Tokyo photos, and I also like the self-portrait that you took, Mike!! It's on the Flickr account for those who haven't seen it.

I like the Tokyo photos, and I also like the self-portrait that you took, Mike!! It's on the Flickr account for those who haven't seen it.

Thanks. I have a small group of neighbors that are trying to do weekly photography challenges. One of the first challenges we did was self portrait so I gave that a try.

Here is one more from the Kumano Shrine that I found on my last night there.

14118959117_c66b5c2d5d_c.jpg

Kumano Shrine by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I am loving all these amazing photographs! This thread is operating like food for my eyes. Tokyo looks stunning through your camera's lens, Mike (particularly love this shrine one), and Ken your photos are so very beautiful.......(and you somehow even managed to persuade the ostrich to smile at you)...... ;)
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

This may be a daft question, but......

I was wondering whether you think, at some point in the future, it might be possible to create an electronic approximation of different lenses with different focal lengths? ie. Is it feasible that there might be an app created which would allow an iPad or iPhone to behave as a camera with a close up lens or wide angle or whatever - without any physical adjustment to the iPad? Or is this a technical impossibility?

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

High-res version of Window Into Infinity, a fun selfie I took last weekend in the desert.

http://500px.com/photo/72231137/window-into-infinity-by-ken-lee?from=user_library

http://kenleephotography.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/323kenlee_joshuatreeselfie2014-5-20sf28iso5000-312am-2014-05-25-960px.png

If you wish to learn to take photos of the night sky like this one and learn star trails and light painting photography like many of the other photos I have posted on 500px.com, we have a handful of available slots that opened up for a 2-Day Star Trails and Light Painting Photography Workshop that I am giving in Borrego Springs, California July 5-6. We'll still keep the group a small one, with less than ten people. You hafta sign up for meetup.com, which takes two seconds. Details here! http://www.meetup.com/Night-photography-lovers/events/176804782/?_af_eid=176804782&a=uc1_te&_af=event

Another Super Awesome photo Ken!. How long did you expose that one for?.

(cor blimey look at that sky of infinite stars for sure!)

Is that you in the photo Ken?

Brett

I am loving all these amazing photographs! This thread is operating like food for my eyes. Tokyo looks stunning through your camera's lens, Mike (particularly love this shrine one), and Ken your photos are so very beautiful.......(and you somehow even managed to persuade the ostrich to smile at you)...... ;)

Hahahaha! That was one goofy ostrich. It came charging at us, causing people to back up!

Thank you for your kind words!

There's a lot of really cool photos in this thread.

That's a beauty of a photo!

This may be a daft question, but......

I was wondering whether you think, at some point in the future, it might be possible to create an electronic approximation of different lenses with different focal lengths? ie. Is it feasible that there might be an app created which would allow an iPad or iPhone to behave as a camera with a close up lens or wide angle or whatever - without any physical adjustment to the iPad? Or is this a technical impossibility?

I don't know. In the not-so-distant future, I think it will be common place to have a lot more control over what is in focus and what is not, which somewhat addresses your question. Raytrix and Lytro cameras already are touching on this. I think one day this and other data will be able to be manipulated more via software.

Another Super Awesome photo Ken!. How long did you expose that one for?.

(cor blimey look at that sky of infinite stars for sure!)

Is that you in the photo Ken?

Brett

Thanks, Brett. This is a 20 second (single) exposure, and yes, that is a rare night sky "selfie" I've took last weekend in the desert.

Thanks. I have a small group of neighbors that are trying to do weekly photography challenges. One of the first challenges we did was self portrait so I gave that a try.

14118959117_c66b5c2d5d_c.jpg

Kumano Shrine by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

So Mike , this has gone over everyone's heads , and that's you on the right? :-D.

Brett

:D

I recently got my first full frame camera, the Nikon D610, and a Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8. I have to admit that although I like the Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 a lot, I was a little frustrated with the soft corners when shooting wide open at f/2.8 even though it's freakin' fantastic and sharp at f/4.

I saw a "like new" Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 for US$1300 (it's usually almost US$2000), and in a late night impulse, jumped on it. I just got it. It came in a large box that was so well padded that I'm pretty sure I could have flung this off a two story building and the lens would be fine. I decided not to test that out.

I did, however, test out the lens just a few minutes ago.

The lens is basically like new, as they said. No scratches, no nothing. It's in really great shape. I ran out to my back yard and took some photos with the "like new" 14-24mm wide open at f/2.8. Holy CRUD. This thing is really sharp at the edges. It's barely softer at the edges than it is in the center. I did not do a direct comparison, trying to do the same shots in a star test as the Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8, but eyeballing it, I can tell you that I have never gotten shots this sharp on the edges (corners) with the Tokina at f/2.8. I totally get why people are raving about this lens.

The Tokina is seriously fantastic for US$625. I'm comparing it to a lens that costs almost US$2000, not a fair comparison. But the Tokina cannot produce corners this sharp at f/2.8. Neither can the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. I realize this is not a scientific comparison, but on the other hand, I know what I am seeing. At f/4, I believe the Tokina 16-28mm and Nikkor 14-24mm are very comparable across the entire image, but not at f/2.8.

This summer is going to be a LOT of fun! It's a little bit of a challenge running around during the summer with new equipment that I'm not completely familiar with and operating the equipment in the dark doing night sky photos, but I think I'll be fine all the same.

http://kenleephotography.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/0140kenlee_vasquezrocks2014-lunapascua-30sf4iso320-143am-2014-04-20-960px.jpg

I forgot whether I posted this or not. Anyway, this is from the new Nikon D610 and Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 a while back. Now, on this photo, the Tokina is sharp all the way around because I stopped down to f/4. When I shoot wide open, it's a little soft in the edges/corners, although nothing horrible, as most ultra wide angle lens shot at their widest aperture would be like this.

http://kenleephotography.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/0140kenlee_vasquezrocks2014-lunapascua-30sf4iso320-143am-2014-04-20-960px.jpg

I forgot whether I posted this or not. Anyway, this is from the new Nikon D610 and Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 a while back. Now, on this photo, the Tokina is sharp all the way around because I stopped down to f/4. When I shoot wide open, it's a little soft in the edges/corners, although nothing horrible, as most ultra wide angle lens shot at their widest aperture would be like this.

Yes , my most prized favorite photo Ken :).

Brett

Another one from Japan:

http://ppcdn.500px.org/72434251/084cb7666270cddbe817f143a1283452f77b3bcc/4.jpg

Empty Station by Mike Martin on 500px

-Mike Martin

Casio

So Mike , this has gone over everyone's heads , and that's you on the right? :-D.

Brett

LOL,

This is one of the headshots Ken was referring to:

13954987767_71fc04e1fc.jpg

Mike Martin by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

-Mike Martin

Casio

Brett

Oh bloody hell, that's right, we even discussed this. It's very clear my brain is deteriorating.

Okay, here's another one then.

http://kenleephotography.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/284kenlee_joshuatree2014-5bigtowermilkyway-15sf28iso6400-221am-2014-05-25-960px.png

Brett

Oh bloody hell, that's right, we even discussed this. It's very clear my brain is deteriorating.

Okay, here's another one then.

http://kenleephotography.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/284kenlee_joshuatree2014-5bigtowermilkyway-15sf28iso6400-221am-2014-05-25-960px.png

Awesome Ken! , another Beauty.

Brett

Brett

LOL,

This is one of the headshots Ken was referring to:

13954987767_71fc04e1fc.jpg

Mike Martin by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

Great and very nice photo Mike! , I knew you looked much better and friendlier than the Dragon :).

(Love this thread! :) )

Brett

http://kenleephotography.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/256kenlee_joshuatree2014-5-20sf28iso6400-2014-05-25-131am-960px1.png

This is another photo of Arch Rock, this time light painted.

It really feels that way, as if they may be teeming with life. I sometimes picture stars as fish swimming in a giant ocean. Thank you so much for your kind words.

This is another photo of Arch Rock, this time light painted.

If you don't mind me asking, what lens and settings did you use? Is it post-cropped because the framing of the photo is perfect? I ask because I think my 35mm lens is the best I have for night, but on a full frame it seems too wide.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

No problem! I used a Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 lens. 20 second exposure, f/2.8 ISO 6400. It is not post-cropped, although I will do that from time to time, but I really try to nail the framing in person whenever possible. For my personal tastes, a 35mm is too wide, and I don't know many night sky photographers who use that, but on the other hand, it should be perfectly fine for things like light painting objects or certain landscape.