Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Billy Gibbons brings friends, PAIR OF B-3s to New York gigs

Joe Muscara

http://www.examiner.com/article/billy-gibbons-brings-friends-pair-of-b-3s-to-new-york-gigs

[video:youtube]

Besides Gibbons on his own, the distinguishing factor of the New York shows was the novel B-3 duo.

We first experimented with it on Daryls show, said Gibbons. Then when we started thinking about the solo shows, we wondered, What would make them interesting? and figured one B-3, is good, two are better. We couldnt place it having been done before, which was all the more reason to do it.

Flanigin did point out that while B-3 players Jimmy McGriff and Richard Groove Holmes recorded together, it doesnt happen very often.

Its the extreme outer fringe, because youre hauling two [b-3s], when hauling one is hard enough, Gibbons explained. So they rented a pair of the big Hammonds for Guigui and Flanigin.

:thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike Flanigin is a cool dude. Here I am playing John Patton's road organ, which Patton's widow gave to Mike upon Patton's death. Mike and Big John were pretty close.

[video:youtube]

I've known Mike since 2003 or so. Great guy and I'm really happy he's with Gibbons.

What would make them interesting? and figured one B-3, is good, two are better.

That what I keep telling my wife....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Archived