Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Snoop Dogg Butchering Herbie at the Kennedy Center Honors...

HammondDave

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dug it, especially when he gave a shout out to my hometown the LBC.

Music should not be judged for what it's not but for what it is, and that was fun.

Except for the all-too-typical and unimaginative exhortations for the crowd to make noise and/or gyrate their limbs...

"Throw your hands in the air, and wave 'em like you don't care" (and its variations) has become as grating a line to me as the old rock cliche, "I'm in so much pain, my tears fall like rain" (and its variations)...

You did it wrong. It's "ay-yer", and "cay-yer".

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

When SD came out my first reaction was :facepalm:

But it was actually pretty cool for a minute ....if his segment would have only lasted a minute as opposed to over 2 minutes. I much rather would have heard another chorus from Chick on the blues/Walkin' then the extra minute from SD. And the poor kid Aaron Parks-what did he get ? Maybe 8 bars on Watermelon Man before the horns came in on the V chord and cut him off. There were some pretty legendary muscians, along with the youngin's, up there that I would have like to heard more of. Heck would have even enjoyed Michael Bearden on a chorus or two. Didn't even recognize Vinny with his new wholesome look.

I agree Dave, but realistically, if the jazz guys each got their normal turn, the Herbie tribute alone would have taken up the whole Honors show! Not that I would have minded, but that wasn't the way the show was set up. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I thought the Snoop segment was appropriately and respectfully done. Imagine the outcome if they had tagged 2Chainz, A$AP Rocky, or Lil' Wayne :eek: The audience participation part might seem a bit long (and cliched) in the video, but the room was into it and Snoop might have just winged this part once he noticed their reaction.

Rap is becoming passe.

It became passe at the turn of the century. Where have you been?

lol

But it was actually pretty cool for a minute ....if his segment would have only lasted a minute as opposed to over 2 minutes. I much rather would have heard another chorus from Chick on the blues/Walkin' then the extra minute from SD. And the poor kid Aaron Parks-what did he get ? Maybe 8 bars on Watermelon Man before the horns came in on the V chord and cut him off. There were some pretty legendary muscians, along with the youngin's, up there that I would have like to heard more of. Heck would have even enjoyed Michael Bearden on a chorus or two. Didn't even recognize Vinny with his new wholesome look.

+1. Definitely wanted to hear more out of Aaron, although he was one of the newer/lesser-known musicians on stage.

Snoop coulda been cut off after his Doggystyle freestyle. I agree about the crowd stuff, a little too much. But Herbie seemed to be gettin' down, so... :idk:

But really though...

Rap is becoming passe.

It became passe at the turn of the century. Where have you been?

LOL

But it was actually pretty cool for a minute ....

Have to agree, even if reluctantly so. I can't for the life of me understand how anybody who consumes so much cannibis can remember all those words. :confused:

:nopity:

I loved it. The whole Herbie segment. Snoop was fun and got the normally stoic audience to let loose a little. I'm surprised more didn't know they we're playing the Cantaloop version, as mentioned above. I liked Snoop's own lyrics praising Herbie within his rap.

I also enjoyed Bearden gettin the groove on with the Roland Ax :)

Also, people do know that the Honda/Michael Bolton ad campaign was meant to be tongue in cheek, right? Ever since he did the "Captain Jack Sparrow" bit with Lonely Planet on SNL, his self-deprecating stuff is hilarious.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I liked the whole segment snoop and all. It was fun and Herbie apparently thought it was great.. Which was the point in the first place right.

Don't know how or why Michael Bolton ended up on this thread but.. I agree.. The guy is running with the self deprecated humour and I think it's pretty entertaining. Can't deny the guy can sing like nobody else. Here's some classic Bolton for y'all.. And your welcome! Lol

(beginning of this looks like an snl skit.. Can see where his sense of humour came from)

K back to the tribute.. Got a little sidetracked there.

Jay

www.soundcloud.com/high-diving-act

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Krome EX, Novation Summit, Roland RD88 & Edge, Spectrasonic Keyscape

But it was actually pretty cool for a minute ....if his segment would have only lasted a minute as opposed to over 2 minutes.

+1. Just watched this, and I'm not particularly a rap fan. Didn't like what US3 did to Herbie, and didn't particularly like Dogg's take on US3. But I quite liked his own shout-outs to Herbie, I thought that worked and was in keeping with the event.

Cheers, Mike.

So have we concluded that the OP is in fact old?
Verily.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

So have we concluded that the OP is in fact old?
Verily.

Thanks... I admit it...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Archived