Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Snoop Dogg Butchering Herbie at the Kennedy Center Honors...

HammondDave

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was great, he brought a fresh charge of irreverant energy to a proceeding that is always a bit too starchy and predictable. And I didn't even understand most of his lyrics. You could see from the cuts to Herbie that this was where he really broke out of his stoic facade and began enjoying himself. So what if it wasn't jazz.

Not to say the rest of the Herbie tribute wasn't phenomenal. It was. But a bunch of great jazz players blowing passionately is exactly what you'd expect. Snoop was the pleasantly unexpected.

Almost as good was Sheila E. letting her hair down for her solo and then knocking the symbol stand over.

I didn't get the relevance of Buddy Guy, but whatever, it was still enjoyable.

We were exhausted and so went to bed before Billy Joel, but we have it recorded.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

And what's with Rufus Wainwright singing "New York State of Mind?". Great voice, but the wrong voice for the song.

But what was great was when Garth Brooks sang "Goodnight Saigon". That was unexpected.., and quite moving...

'55 and '59 B3's, Leslies 147, 122, 21H, Motif XS7, Mellotrons M300 and M400, Wurlitzer 200, Gibson G101, Vox Continental, Mojo

Really... Guess I am old.

Abner! Abner! Come look at what Snoop is doing to Herbie at the Kennedy Center Honors! :freak:

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopost/data/750/Bewit520SantaComesToVisit_Stays_Stays.jpg

:wave:

I love it! Gladys Kravitz strikes again!

'55 and '59 B3's, Leslies 147, 122, 21H, Motif XS7, Mellotrons M300 and M400, Wurlitzer 200, Gibson G101, Vox Continental, Mojo

Really... Guess I am old.

Abner! Abner! Come look at what Snoop is doing to Herbie at the Kennedy Center Honors! :freak:

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopost/data/750/Bewit520SantaComesToVisit_Stays_Stays.jpg

:wave:

I love it! Gladys Kravitz strikes again!

Another spit-take from SVEN!

Yup, old, all right.

Come to think of it, if any of you remember the spit-take, you're at least halfway there.

victoria bc

But what was great was when Garth Brooks sang "Goodnight Saigon". That was unexpected.., and quite moving...

The only thing Garth Brooks moves is my bowels.

TMI..... :laugh:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Are you sayin it wasn't the shiznit? And its Snoop Lion since were correcting everything these days.

If the 'Snoop' name wasn't already taken, I would've chosen the stage name " Snoop Weasel ". :D

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Are you sayin it wasn't the shiznit? And its Snoop Lion since were correcting everything these days.

He's moved on, thankfully. Snoopzilla is the name, and he's back on that G-Funk game. Check out 7 Days of Funk.

Also, he does claim to smoke enough weed to break any marijuana OD myths: 81 blunts a day.

I want to see this video now!

Whether or not you liked Snoop, he didn't butcher "Cantaloupe Island". It was pre-butchered. He was doing the rap on the US3 version of the tune, found here at 0:47 (sorry for the commercial pre-roll):

[video:youtube]

I was just happy to see Corea, Shorter, Blanchard, DeJohnette, Holland, Parks, Redman, Rosenwinkel, Loueke, Miller, and Colaiuta on TV.

The Santana tribute was good. The Billy Joel tribute was terrible, save for the veterans chorus which is always moving.

http://rlv.zcache.com/grumpy_old_man_hey_you_kids_get_off_my_lawn_sticker-r8d3120b2fd2d48cc8a706f603b03014b_v9i40_8byvr_512.jpg

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The only thing Garth Brooks moves is my bowels.

And for involuntary, ongoing, massive regurgitation events, all that show needed was Michael Bolton pimping Hondas...

[video:youtube]u-mgkcXs7_M

It could become my New Year's Resolution diet strategy for 2014!

I've got it coming out both ends! :sick:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Thanks for posting the Herbie tribute. This was the first time in my life I thought rap meant ANYTHING) I thought Snoop was fantastic! Great subtle rhythms/body energy,it was a tribute essentially from the stupid world to real genius for once. Surprising too

I don't get the fuss either direction. So Snoop half-freestyles, half quotes the original "Cantaloop" by US3, and people are either up in arms about it or celebrating.

[video:youtube]

If you thought he was butchering, then the original was butchering. If you thought he was great, the original was certainly better, since they didn't resort to the "Everybody say HO!" crap.

Archived