Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

That Plexitube seems awesome!

But why don't you have it before the Burn in the chain?

As I understand it "should" be before an amp?

Or did I misunderstand?

in parallel, alternately switchable ...

"Stereo out goes to the GSi Burn, switching re routes the HX-3 stereo out into a mono sum > Radial Plexitube."

:cool:

A.C.

I've given up trying to get my Electro 4 to control all the parameters via custom CC...Since like others I have found the Nords don't seem to be able to properly control the percussion on the HX3.

I did find that my old Voce drawbars do work flawlessly... So am in the process of making a little platform to Velcro them onto on the top left of the unit.

Instead of using the Leslie control on the Voce, I dug out an old dual latching pedal from a guitar amp - which works great for triggering run/stop and fast/slow.

This is really an amazing little box! And I can't say enough about Tom at Drawbar City - who helped me with my many questions! It's nice to come across a company these days that believes in customer service. They have been absolutely great.

The only issue with the voce unit is that there is no independent on/off for the Upper/Lower V/C. You have to customize one of the buttons on the voce to do this. No big deal though.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Brotha' Man Analogholic...

The Burn has that Kansas, Jethro Tull, Yes, Argent Uriah Heep sound nailed. Usually Overdrive enhances the C3 Scanner sound or makes the upper horn unrealistic, not so with Burn since the Tube delivers the perfect amounts artifact free.

It also has a straight bluesy/jazzy sound, slightly narrower than the vent, but I can fix that with BX Digital Stereo Spread

since I route everything into an XITE-1 DSP rack.

But there's no replacement for Tube Distortion and the Jon Lord Steppenwolf sound is so on the money I got goose bumps till the buzz wore off after a few days.

I really like Melda Distortion/Overdrive/ Saturator plug ins, they are very precise with separate harmonic parameters, but they just can't come close to a decent Tube Distortion device.

It does the JCM800 so well I am thinking about getting another Radial with different Tube design for my Analog rackmounted SE1s.

They have a factory mod from Studio Electronics that is nice but needs more buzz.

The Radial JCM800 though is dead on balls accurate.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

The the unit I had definitely had more intensity in the vibrato in the top octave than either the Numa or the B-3 that I have at home. There was much more " throb" in the upper octave, especially when the 5 1/3 drawbar was engaged.

I may have had a buggy unit ( the one I had was sent back due to other issues). I did all kinds of stuff with the adjustment parameters, but I was unable to affect it.

I am very curious if other owners have noticed this.

There are so many things that this unit does well. For the price , I think the leslie sim is nothing short of amazing. The HX3 does chorale well.

But I am baffled that no one else noticed that CV thing in the upper octave. On a tonewheel Hammond, that top octave does not display a lot of intensity in the vibrato ( CV set to C3 obviously). There is definitely a lot more vibrato than chorus in the upper register on the HX3 version I had. If all units are the same as mine, this should be immediately apparent in any serious A/B test. And it would certainly show up in a recording environment.

This all may have something to do with the unit I had. I am also curious if the new firmware addresses it. It sounds like the designers have made at least one modification to the CV in the not too distant past. I am not sure that I had the latest version.

BTW....I still don't know what the flash tool for this is about.

I just got my HX and fired it up tonight - all good at first (kinda bright though) - first song I played was vanilla fudge you keep me hanging on and wham - crazy quivery vibrato in the top octave! Less pronounced with leslie on fast for some reason - but definitely off - did you find a fix?

Also, the high A on 8' just screams! Not sure all good in that but my a100 is lie that abit too. And the vibrato issue seems more pronounced from high A up - especially with Leslie in stop position - almost sounds like that was how the Hammond they modelled sounded though - don't they all have individual quirks?

I like how the notes stop after 61 keys though - no longer need to worry about palm smears too high

Brotha' Man Analogholic...

The Burn has that Kansas, Jethro Tull, Yes, Argent Uriah Heep sound nailed. Usually Overdrive enhances the C3 Scanner sound or makes the upper horn unrealistic, not so with Burn since the Tube delivers the perfect amounts artifact free.

It also has a straight bluesy/jazzy sound, slightly narrower than the vent, but I can fix that with BX Digital Stereo Spread

since I route everything into an XITE-1 DSP rack.

But there's no replacement for Tube Distortion and the Jon Lord Steppenwolf sound is so on the money I got goose bumps till the buzz wore off after a few days.

I really like Melda Distortion/Overdrive/ Saturator plug ins, they are very precise with separate harmonic parameters, but they just can't come close to a decent Tube Distortion device.

It does the JCM800 so well I am thinking about getting another Radial with different Tube design for my Analog rackmounted SE1s.

They have a factory mod from Studio Electronics that is nice but needs more buzz.

The Radial JCM800 though is dead on balls accurate.

U R Da Maaan!

Sounds awesome, eventhough I prefer the Vent regarding the actual sim.

Eager to try out the Vent with the HX3 when it arrives.

Btw, I have two SE-1's myself and indeed they could use a little grunge sometimes :)

Shoot me a PM about this factory mod you mention.

Cheers!

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Have you the very latest firmware (3.83c from 4.9.2015) installed ?

This should solve the somewhat shrill A

and has a more even top end...

You should check this....

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

I have elected to put my HX3 on garage sale.

It's not that I didn't like it.... I liked many things about it. For the money you aren't going to find much to compare to it.

I have elected to keep my unit sealed from the factory ( they may have even sent a new unit) for the next person whom wants one of these.

I initailly had to send it back because Bb2 wouldn't trigger, then MG informed my my unit was in demo mode. The dealer did not inform me of this however.

Right now I just can't see investing in a controller etc. that will bring the best out of it.

Anyway there is one on garage sale now at the original sale price.

Yes, the pedal tone is improved (but to my taste could have still a bit more punch)....

The X3-2 specific flash tool will be finished within the

next days.

I guess you got a mail from Wolfgang Uhl..

;-)

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

.... it's a little computer program you can start on your PC and it will update the HX3/X3 that is connected via USB.... less than 5 mouse clcks and you are done.... it's located in the download folder and the name is hx_flash.exe....

but don't worry, you don't have to do it anymore....

Just wanted to chime in here and share my concept of design.

GSi Burn gets the Tube Pre Amp sound I crave, and as of yesterday I finally squeezed out the Jon Lord JCM800 sound, making the Plexitube a spare pedal.

But I have never been totally satisfied with GSi Burns "length" of the ramp up/down.

HX-3 has a better emulation of this, but just doesn't have that presence of a real Leslie to my ears.

Since I had the Vent 1 and gave it to our Guitarist, I remember really liking the ramp length it had.

Since it's mono and I had a custom pedal switcher from American Loopers to go from Stereo to Mono, I hooked up the Vent with HX-3 BPed/Organ (No 122 signal) and lo and behold I have that perfect heavy Leslie long ramp sound vital for certain Hammond emulations.

Sure was a mix and match of several pedals and FX to get things right for me.

But the HX-3 has excellent parameter control and authentic tonewheels tubes and trimpots.

Got everything ready for October gigs now.

Anyone not wanting another keyboard should definitely look into the HX-3.

It's rotary is good, but having the GSi Burn and a Vent pretty much covers all styles and sounds.

I can use any of the MIDI Maps by various clone/controllers but can't seem to find a control for Audio Output configs.

Does anyone know of a trick maybe for using MIDI CC's to change from Config A to Config B..?

I'd like to switch back and forth from no 122Amp to Org. without having to fiddle with the module.

This is what makes the Burn such a pleasure to have.

Neo sounds great for clean drawbars but sure could use some automation.

If they ever do a Neo III would love to see a 1U instead of the exposed cords and Walmart PSU.

Thanks.

If they ever do a Neo III would love to see a 1U instead of the exposed cords and Walmart PSU.

NEO Ventilator II isn´t the last word spoken,- there is a Ventilator Pro planned and it was announced to be a 1HU rack unit w/ MIDI control.

I hope it won´t become a 1HU half-width unit, full 19"/ 1HU rackmount instead.

It should host 2 Vents controllable via MIDI,- think double leslie.

I can dream ...

A.C.

Hardware - you can toggle between Jack configuration A and B if you make a custom CC set for the HX3 using the Remote Software. As far as I know it's not part of any of the Pre-configured controller mappings.

A/B Jack configuration is HX3 parameter #916 (It's listed in the hx3_buttons.csv file.) You can assign that parameter number to any available Midi CC on your controller.

If you need any help with that, let me know.

Dave O

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

Whoah...

I didn't understand the custom CC set stuff but can I create one with an editor...?

Guess I misunderstood the github site.

I would love to have total control over ALL parameters as I cover many different styles/sounds of the Hammond B3/Leslie.

Before I waste more of your time I will try the github stuff again and see what the editor can do.

I've been mapping templates which only covers a little territory.

Basically have an HX-3 patchbay now that bypasses the DSP Project where hardware and DSP FX are added, and go straight to FOH.

I'm using 3 Leslie emulators now, the Vent the HX3 and Burn.

Having so much fun pretending I have a Hammond and Leslie again.... :o

Yes, The HX3 Remote application is the editor. It's in the folder with your HX3 software. Custom CC sets are easy to do once you get into the software and look around at how it works. There is a manual in the master folder also. Let me know if you have any questions.

D

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

Thanks so much Dave for your help.

Diversi too as I lost my serial # @ licenses.

Diversi answered my email after hours and quickly too....

Custom CCs are the action with HX3.

Heres why.

I use exp pedals for upper and lower drawbars.

Collapse and expand with extreme precision.

But along with those controls I attach the swell pedal.

Vibrato mix/depth from no effect to full on C3.

Also Leslie throb.

Also a TC Fireworx phaser depth. Again dry to full tilt.

Sounds amazing. A 2015 Hammond.

The HX3 Leslie has so many controllable details including crossover freq. Throb ramp length ..

Now imagine the Output jack configuration going from a Leslie to a straight signal into the Burn or Vent.

Even to the Radial Plexitube with a quick tap on the analog switcher.

Hands free total control with a futuristic sound when needed.

Just 2 x expressions and 2 x switches.

Love playing dual manual or B3 w/ Horns.

Great product w/ great support and a great forum.

2016 in Vegas will be nice to be home again with the rig from hell.

Only one piece left.

The Studio Electronics CODE 8.......

THANKS DIVERSI AND THANKS DAVE...!!!

2016 in Vegas will be nice to be home again with the rig from hell.

Only one piece left.

The Studio Electronics CODE 8.......

HELL YEAH !!!! Code 8 is on the wishlist for damn sure !!!

btw, my HX3 arrives in about 30 minutes :):laugh:

A quick test spin at the best...then back to programming the PC3 for a gig tomorrow.

Btw 2, are there CC numbers for the drawbars etc or do I have to use the editor?

If I can avoid the editor for this then I could bring the HX3 to the gig :thu:

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Using the editor is key to getting EXACTLY what you want in the HX3.

I used NI B4 default just to get familiar with things.

Moved onto the Custom MIDI CCs and have exactly the sound I want.

This is very tweakable axe.

Overdrive is good for moderate levels.

Leslie is really nice once you learn how to get away from factory settings. Crossover throb ramps. All change the sound.

I like a long devolving ramp like Dark Side Of the Moon has.

Hell if this thing with a Plexitube sounds really good today I will sell the Burn and Vent......

Just dig into the units parameters.

Sounds so much better than stock defaults.

But I am more into the 70s sounds than the smooth jazz or blues stuff.

Using the editor is key to getting EXACTLY what you want in the HX3.

I used NI B4 default just to get familiar with things.

Moved onto the Custom MIDI CCs and have exactly the sound I want.

This is very tweakable axe.

Overdrive is good for moderate levels.

Leslie is really nice once you learn how to get away from factory settings. Crossover throb ramps. All change the sound.

I like a long devolving ramp like Dark Side Of the Moon has.

Hell if this thing with a Plexitube sounds really good today I will sell the Burn and Vent......

Just dig into the units parameters.

Sounds so much better than stock defaults.

But I am more into the 70s sounds than the smooth jazz or blues stuff.

I will delve into it for sure,,,,next week :)

Arthur Schopenhauer

So..... there is an EDITOR for this beyond the front panel parameters????

Does the owners manual mention this? This was not mentioned to me when I purchased my unit.

If this is all so then I still have no idea what is involved.

I am curious about this editor business. Geez.

I have to say, there was no need to mess with ANY of this when I got my Numa. I turned it on , and it sounded good and still does.