Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

Well said, Dave !

The remote is a great tool and necessary to create

midi cc sets. So it's worth to take the time to

study how it works, really not that complicated.

To tweak some parameters to your own taste

wouldnt hurt either....

With such helpful guys like Dave.... should be

no problem....

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

Here's how I use it.

Will get some live ones where you can see the Physis K4/Solaris controlling the rack and the HX-3/GSi Burn.

http://s12.postimg.org/kvthb5ovh/IMG_0747.jpg

picture hosting

Beyond awesome!!!

Can´t wait to see the videos !!!

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Thank you Dave. Very well said.

Some of the reasons you stated is why we wanted to work with Carsten.

Some of you may know I worked for Hammond Suzuki USA and had a direct hand some of the product features that started with the XB2 and still are implemented in their products today. I can tell all of you that it can be very frustrating working with Engineering departments. It's not just at HS but is true at other companies as well.

We here at Diversi DO send Carsten customer comments as I think MG does via UHL Organs. I have to tell you that the response from Carsten is positive. Not like my experience in a large company. I think this is do to Carstens understanding of the Tonewheel organ.

Thanks again Dave and all of you for your input.

Tom Tuson

About the Remote Software being Windows only.

While I realize that many people own MacBooks I want to share this with those who have not installed Windows on their Mac. I personally use a MacBook Pro for everything and I run Windows 7 on my MacBook to work with the Remote Software. Here are your options to run Windows 7 on your Mac.

1. In regards to Windows. Windows 7 Home is the most cost effective purchase of Windows 7 you don't need anything higher. NOTE. You must buy a FULL Version and not an Upgrade version. I have found FULL versions of Windows 7 Home for around 30 Dollars on eBay.

2. BootCamp Install. My advice, If you are not into computers you may find it very confusing to install Windows via BootCamp only. Be careful or find someone that can install Windows 7 via BootCamp.

3. Parallels or VMWare Fusion. This is a great way to install Windows 7 on your MacBook. Yes! It costs more. To start with you have to purchase one of these two Applications. However, in the end it is really the easiest way to use Windows 7 on your MacBook.

When I update, test HX3's or even when I use the Remote Software to make my own Custom Changes I just boot Windows 7 with VMware Fusion, and I don't have to leave my Mac's OS. The only thing that will happen is when you plug in the HX3 into a USB port the Mac will ask you if you want to use the USB for Mac or Windows. Click on Windows and your ready to go.

One last thing. Windows XP. I have not tried it but I have been told that the Remote Software will work with XP. We have not tried it on Windows 8 or 10 if anyone out there has please let us know.

Hope this is of help.

Tom Tuson

I'm playing an hx3 using a Nord Stage 2 and Classic (V.3) as a controller which I also purchased from Ken (who generously created the custom cc from his own rig I believe) and have a few questions/issues which I thought I might post here first:

1. How do you dial back the keyclick? Is there a way to do that without using a PC?

2. I'm unable to get the Nords to do a split (ie using the hx for organ on the higher split, and the Nord Wurli/other on the lower split). I've gone through the Nords' midi and other options and think I have exhausted their possibilities as a controller, so I'm wondering if it is the Nord or the hx? Is anyone else able to do that? I can get the Nord on one panel, and the hx on the other though, and do layers as well.

3. I'm unable to get the Nord Preset button to trigger the hx. The drawlights change when I press the preset button but there is no corresponding change on the hx sound until I move the drawlights manually. Is anyone else able to do that? I suspect the cc might need to be customized further on that?

4. I hear a defect in the tone of the hx by holding/hanging on E2 (second E above middle C) and then walking a bass pattern or even just playing quarter notes on low C. The hx seems to echo, particularly on 16' Does anyone else notice that? Solutions?

5. 8' is really bright, and almost harsh by my ears, particularly when fully 'pulled' out. Does anyone else notice that? Solutions?

6. I also hear the vibrato warble that LX took issue with above. Any fixes for that from anyone? Firmware update on the horizon to address?

I have the latest update so that's not the issue. Don't get me wrong - I do quite like the HX, although it is still fighting for a spot in the starting line up (Go Jays Go!) competing against a Mojo, Numa and Nord + Vent (each of home has their own shortcomings). Just hoping to tweak those issues further to give it a Kansas City Royals chance in the field...

I can answer a few of the Nord Stage 2 questions:

1. How do you dial back the keyclick? Is there a way to do that without using a PC?

>The key click is controlled via the ContspringDmp and ContSpringFlx parameters from the front panel.

2. I'm unable to get the Nords to do a split (ie using the hx for organ on the higher split, and the Nord Wurli/other on the lower split). I've gone through the Nords' midi and other options and think I have exhausted their possibilities as a controller, so I'm wondering if it is the Nord or the hx? Is anyone else able to do that? I can get the Nord on one panel, and the hx on the other though, and do layers as well.

>The limitations seem to be within the Nord. I helped Ken Hall initially set up his Stage 2 with the HX3. The HX3 *presets* do work fine in Nord External mode and splits with the Nord's sounds will work alongside HX3 presets using the *External* Mode. But the only way I have found to use the HX3's live drawbars, live percussion, etc is in Global midi mode on the Nord, which will allow you to layer, but not split sounds. The A/B panels on the Nord Stage only will control the HX3 presets alongside any other internal Nord sounds when it is being triggered from the External Mode section.

One workaround is by using the Ocean Beach DB1 drawbars so the HX3 is always in live drawbar mode.

3. I'm unable to get the Nord Preset button to trigger the hx. The drawlights change when I press the preset button but there is no corresponding change on the hx sound until I move the drawlights manually. Is anyone else able to do that? I suspect the cc might need to be customized further on that?

>When you say 'Nord Presets' I assume you mean the 5 program buttons where you store your patches, Correct? When you say drawlights, are you referring to the Nord's electronic drawbars and drawlights? Same problem. Global midi mode for Live control over the HX3 drawbars, percussion, etc., and external midi mode for presets and splits.

As far as some of the other sound issues perhaps M_G or others may chime in on this. Often the Keyboardpartner forum in Germany is also good place to post those issues. Sometimes it will help to facilitate a new firmware update, if one is needed.

Dave

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

Thanks Dave, here we go:

;-)

4. Never recognized it, have to check this out on my expander and X3-2...

5. Hmm, the 5 1/4 was tamed in the taperings in the last update, but the 8... Have to check this too on the expander. It is possible to work on that with the tapering tool. But: for advanced users only....

6. Maybe a matter of taste. Did you try to work on the CV settings? You can change parameters on the display, no need for the remote software.

Anyway, send your topics to:

info@keyboardpartner.de

Markus

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

Thanks very much Dave and Markus. Amazing waking up to a response to last night's post!

Dave, on point #4. I was referring to the "Preset II" button on the Nord.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to dig into the rest of your collective suggestions tonight.

Great looking rig... Do you play in a band or is this just for your home studio. I know, such a basic question, but I am really interested in seeing how people use the HX3.

Tom

Its my gig rig. Actually I have 2 rigs. Pre production and performabce rig.

Cant afford 2 x XITE-1s so I move my Solaris and XITE-1 and now the HX3/Gas as both projects require Hammond stuff.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Thanks very much Dave and Markus. Amazing waking up to a response to last night's post!

Dave, on point #4. I was referring to the "Preset II" button on the Nord.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to dig into the rest of your collective suggestions tonight.

Dave has had a good amount of time with his unit. And there is nothing that can replace hands on experience either.

Tom

Got a tip for guys using a VST/AU Host.

I finally figured out a way to isolate the low rotor using BX Digtal.

I use the original DSP version but Dirk has versions for AAX VST and AU.

Love the Leslie sim but do not like using rotary balance.

Stereo width works great but makes the rotor easier to bury.

By using the mono maker frequencies below 200hz conform to mono.

Then boost a selected fequency so the rotor isnt as wide as the horn. Better focus really noticable during ramp down.

I dont think I can add anything more to this sound now.

Everything is exactly the way I want.

Thanks for your help and support, Gentlemen.

The first thing I'd like to do is get the programs to change when I advance the programs on the controller. (For now, I'm using a couple Yamaha keyboards). Is this something that requires the remote software or is there a way to do it directly on the unit. If so, I missed it in the manual. (So far, I can only change the programs by dialing to the correct parameter and then pushing the up or down buttons.)

I tried resetting the unit to the factory default last night. While it went through the procedure and looked like it worked, the programs that I had saved were left unchanged. Any idea why? (I turned it on/plugged it in with the dial button pushed and then pushed the up button to confirm.)

The HX3 sounded great at rehearsal on Sunday. I'm very glad to have it.

Thanks again.

-Jason

I would have to disagree with the first sentence in the above statement.

I would have liked to change percussion volume, amount of drive and several other things on the HX3 more easily than I was able to. I think that is what Jason is referring to on his post above. I was (slightly ) dissapointed that things like percussion volume were global on the HX3 and could not be saved to individual presets.

Going back to my Roland VK7 from years ago...I really liked being able to save percussion volume settings. It kept me from having to go back to the menu.

Percussion volume is one of the mods I did to my B-3 at home. It is extremely useful.

Well if you recall presets why not have percussion volume changes stored in the controller sending the MIDI Prgm.Chng. messages..?

I have 2nd/3rd settings with percussion volume or it's juicy option called percussion mute that overwhelms the perc volume with overdriven tube/tonewheel sound. All recallable.

Didnt know perc. Volume was global though.

I just started making and storing scenes on my K4 where I get an additional 8 Initializing Messages per scene.

Great for such scenarios described above or SysEx for a BCF2000 or other hardware.

There is a percussion 'soft' setting and a 'normal' setting that are global and can be stored as defaults, but each can be recalled with presets for soft, normal, fast, 3rd...

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 

Dglavko - according to the Nord Stage manual, the Preset II button in the organ section sends Midi CC#3. So theoretically you should be able to assign that to a specific HX3 setting in the remote software, perhaps one that changes the current preset.

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 

There is a percussion 'soft' setting and a 'normal' setting that are global and can be stored as defaults, but each can be recalled with presets for soft, normal, fast, 3rd...

This is great news. I noticed when pressing the knob in the choices are upper lower or default.

Coolness.

I can free up some of those valuable initiazing messages on my K4 and use the Upper and Lower presets on the HX-3.

Glad you're here Dave.

These little details fill in the few gaps for me nicely.

I am using Nord Stage to control HX3 as well. The only real problem I have now is that a lot of my presets involve A and B. For example Piano on 1A and Piano and strings on 1B. With the setup now all of the B presets trigger the HX3 as well. The Nord is setup Midi Control - On

Midi Panel A - Ch. 5

Midi Panel B - Ch. 1

All other Midi channel settings set to channel 5

Midi Program Change - Off

Midi Ctrl Change - Snd&Rcv

I realize why the B presets trigger the HX3 but is there a better way to interface the 2. I was following instructions given to me. It works but cripples the Nord. I am looking for a used Axiom although I hate carrying another board.

"You better get outta town before your nickname expires" WZ

LX88-using your Numa as controller, the click knob adjusts the percussion volume, treble knob the tone trim pot, bass knob the swell trim cap, drive knob the amp122 o/drive, rev knob selects 3 reverbs and the leak knob selects 4 leakage levels. Also if you select the Numa split button with the octave up it allows you an extra octave of organ from the preset keys. Makes an excellent controller for the HX3, just a great pity the high trigger point is missing.

Here's my final patch made for controlling the HX-3.

Using the Scope DSP SDK one can use it's fantastic Modular 4 DSP Synth to create Effect or Controller devices as well as modules to design synths.

A single performance (4 Scenes) on the Physis K4 allows to recall a preset for the HX-3.

Every song, even verse to chorus of a song or bridge can have it's own preset.

Happy Camper here as my HX-3 is totally automated now.

I use 2 of these patches.

1 for upper drawbars and another for lower drawbars.

I can even modulate parameters of the HX-3 Reverb in realtime.

lengthen the decay the amount. No glitches like Native apps.

DSP based hardware works like real hardware.

http://s10.postimg.org/ohz2jtog9/HX3.jpg

free adult image hosting

You guys are so ahead of my learning curve. I am happy that things are working out for you and totally impressed by your knowledge. I barely understand midi. I am just an old school player trying for the Hammond sound of my youth. Much thanks to Ken and Dave for the info I can comprehend. :-)
"You better get outta town before your nickname expires" WZ

Well you will be very happy with the factory settings but I seriously urge you to consider experimenting.

Think of "Whiter Shade Of Pale" get that sound and move on to "Fire" Crazy World Of Arthur Brown.

Earl Grant, McGriff, Booker T......

It's all there brotha' man. Just need to dig under the hood a little since when we played the Hammonds they used totally different terminology than these German cats do.

Tube Bias inside of the B3 means Recapped Trim Pots on the HX-3.

You're going to love the HX-3, I am very happy for any old school guys wanting to get back to the groove.

Recently picked up a HX3 to go with my Nord Stage 2...

I have read several posts on this thread (now 18 pages and counting!) of people who have used the Remote software to create custom midi CC sets that work with the Stage 2.

However, after launching the remote software i realized i'm going to need some instructions on how to do this. Do step by step instructions from creating custom midi sets exist anywhere?

Or better yet, has anyone posted a file that i could simply load via the Remote software that will map to the Nord Stage 2?

Also, setting up the local Nord Stage menus correctly to work with the HX3 seems to take some doing. Are the proper settings for this documented anywhere?

And lastly, are people really finding it playable to trigger the HX3 with the low trigger point of the Nord Stage 2? (From what i can tell the high trigger point on the Nord only works with the internal organ sound.) I'm seriously doubting if that's going to work for me.

Well, that's a lot of questions, but they are the baseline for deciding if this is a keeper or not, so any help will be super appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Hello, I have a custom cc set file for the Nord stage 2 that I'd be happy to share.

I think there are some instructions from creating cc sets somewhere. There's been a lot of communication between different owners about this so if there's not one documented officially there should be some instructions on one of the forums. I'd be happy to help walk you through it if you need it.

As far as the low trigger point, it's a bummer that nor doesn't make a high trigger point available for external sounds. That's actually a specific post that I've made on the Nord forum several times as a wish list item. As you probably know they haven't updated the OS on the Stage 2 in a long time. Overdue. I'm out today but send me a PM or an email and off I'll forward you that file later on tonight. Dave O

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 

As far as the low trigger point, it's a bummer that nor doesn't make a high trigger point available for external sounds.

Same with the Numa.

So what boards *do* support a high trigger point when driving an external module over MIDI? I think the Korg CX3 does (and has two sets of drawbars to boot). What else?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)