Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Amp for SK2

B3_borne

Hi guys ..

I bought a new rig .. SK2 with a mini vent as my gigging rig in Canada and Mexico (50 lbs in hard shell road case .. yea) and now I'm looking for options for an amp for Mexico that is fairly light weight. I'm looking at a Peavey K2 or a powered speaker for a PA (like a SP2), but they don't have a lot of control other than volume.

My ears are still struggling with the sound of the mini vent over a real Leslie, which I always played though for 45+ years.

Any thoughts on these 2 options, I'm buying this in Mexico so my options are pretty limited.

SK2 /w Mini Vent / XK3 Pro System /w 142 Leslie, Roland D70, Korg SP250 B3 1959 (retired) , Porta B (retired), XB2 (retired)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Goodness you can't stop in LA or San Diego?? Tough situation man, I feel for you, 45 years with a Leslie.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I just replaced my 23 year old Yorkville Blok 100 keyboard amp with a QSC KW152 powered speaker. I chose this because I tend to cover bass parts on every gig and I wanted the deeper throw of a 15" without using a sub. I had rented a K12 and really liked it but I wanted more bottom end. The KW is birch plywood, which seems to be a touch mellower than the phenolic ABS of the K series, and it's powered by the same 1000W amp found in the K. I used it this past weekend and I turned heads with it both from the audience and the bands. I use it with the direct inputs (bass and keyboard in mono). It's 62 lbs, which is about 10 lbs over my former amp, but soundwise it's a move I should have made sooner. It may not be the most portable, but it can definitely crank out clean sound. When I need more inputs I also grabbed a Mackie 802-VLZ4 mixer, but I haven't used that as of yet.

Hope this helps.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Thanks .. I've been leaning to the power speaker .. I also have a old Yorkville KB amp that I have been using this this new rig and I'm no happy with the sound.

SK2 /w Mini Vent / XK3 Pro System /w 142 Leslie, Roland D70, Korg SP250 B3 1959 (retired) , Porta B (retired), XB2 (retired)

As Jim said - and I'll concur, Yamaha DXR speakers are definitely worth checking out. I've used a single, DXR 12 for the past year; it fits very well in a variety of stage and keyboard configurations. For covering digital piano and clonewheel tones I'd give it a solid edge over the QSC K10 - which I gigged with the previous year. The QSC's are excellent speakers, as well; I did A/B the K12 to the DXR 12 before purchase; but still chose the Yamaha this go-round. The DXR's are pretty foolproof.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

If it's just for organ, what I have liked best are the boxes that have some kind of ability to throw the stereo sound "out of the box" - I have found them to create a feeling more reminiscent of when I had a real Leslie by my side. The downsides are that they are not so great for other sounds (especially piano) which may not be an issue for you; that they can be on the heavy side; and that a lot of them are no longer available. Roland had the SA-300 (and SA-1000 which I haven't heard, but I think its Ambience button did the same think as the 300's Wide button); MotionSound had a few models but now only has the KP-500SN (I only tried the 200); and Fender has discontinued the Groove Tubes SFX Spacestation Mark II (one of the longest product names of any amp). Anyway, I thought it was worth mentioning in case any of them happen to pop up in your neck of the woods.

Other than that, if you're looking at powered PA cabs, besides the QSC and Yamaha lines mentioned, other popular choices for keyboards are JBL and EV, and RCF and comes up sometimes. Having tried all of them--though not every model, and not necessarily specifically for organ--my favorite is the JBL PRX625M but at 60 lbs it might push your weight limit, plus it's physically very tall (which at least means you don't need to bother with a stand). In a compact and light box, I like the EV ZXa1. A lot of people have mentioned liking the newer, cheaper EV model whose name escapes me (I'm sure someone will mention it), but I haven't had a chance to hear that one yet, and it is a bit heavier.

But none of these powered PA cabs have much in the way of controls, and you mentioned being put off by things that "don't have a lot of control other than volume" -- what kinds of controls are you looking for? If you're just playing the one board through it, you have EQ and reverb in your SK2, what else do you need in an amp?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

No.. not "put off by things that "don't have a lot of control other than volume". Just stating the obvious. And Yes it's just for the SK2 and only for Mexico. I don't think I'll sell my 142 Leslie for the time being but I can't fly it to Mexico .. dam

Archived