Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

John's gone 33 years today

opdigits

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember it like it was yesterday. I was standing outside on the sidewalk at the old Carmelos jazz club in Sherman Oaks on break.

Trumpeter Clay Jenkins, Bob Sheppard and few others were in the group when someone broke the news. I was in a total state of shock, as was everyone else hangin' out, almost like I lost a member of my family or something.

I've said this before here where I feel Lennon's voice (on certain Beatle tunes) was the most penetrating and arresting vocal that personally touched me in the history of RnR. :cool:

My memory of it is distinct, but different than most who talk about it. I was in my living room, and my mom said, "Did you hear, John Lennon died." And I said, "Who's that?"

In my defense, I was ten. I was aware of the Beatles, though I didn't know any of their names, and I had only just realized that a lot of songs I had recently come to like were actually by them, rather than by the Bee Gees and/or Peter Frampton as I had come to believe thanks to that crime-against-humanity Sergeant Pepper movie. The scars from that indoctrination run deep; I still can't help hearing "She's Leaving Home" in creepy vocoder robot voices, and "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" in Steve Martin's coked-up sprechstimme.

I remember seeing Kathleen Sullivan break the news on CNN. She was obviously shaken up and fighting back tears. I would have been greatly saddened by the news regardless, but her struggle to keep it together only deepened the impact. There weren't too many boomers anchoring newscasts yet in 1980, and I remember thinking how odd, and yet fitting, it was that one of our generation broke the news. Sullivan must have been a Beatles fan. After all, how many boomers weren't a Beatles fan to one degree or another?

The news was surprisingespecially since Lennon had just returned to the public eye after a five year hiatusbut after having lived through the assassinations of the Kennedys and Martin Luther King Jr., I had lost my ability to be truly shocked by such an event.

I was working at a record store at the time; and the next day, we sold out of Double Fantasy.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Dec 8th is a weird date for me.

I've been a massive Beatles fans since birth ('63), so John's death was devastating.

Turns out I lost my virginity on a Dec 8th.

I happen to be Buddhist, and Dec 8th is celebrated as the day the Buddha attained enlightenment.

Not sure if I should be sad, happy or reverent! :laugh:

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

If memory serves correctly, I recall that Bob Dylan went into seclusion for several days, upon hearing the news. Small wonder, at that.

I was just off the road and back in school in Chicago in the fall of 1980. My first reaction was of disbelief, then reality hit and I become part of the great, collective sadness....

John Lennon was truly a man of peace. His was a powerful, and unifying voice.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I've been a massive Beatles fans since birth ('63), so John's death was devastating.

I happen to be Buddhist, and Dec 8th is celebrated as the day the Buddha attained enlightenment.

It is also Jim Morrison's birthday.

http://bigfun3.bandcamp.com

www.facebook.com/BigFunThree

I was 10 as well, but I was crushed.

Huge fan from the age of about 3 on, even though the Beatles broke up before I was born. I remember air guitaring with my brother to Revolution when we were about a combined 10 years of age, and being in love with THAT guitar tone...and the screaming.

RIP

My memory of it is distinct, but different than most who talk about it. I was in my living room, and my mom said, "Did you hear, John Lennon died." And I said, "Who's that?"

In my defense, I was ten. I was aware of the Beatles, though I didn't know any of their names, and I had only just realized that a lot of songs I had recently come to like were actually by them, rather than by the Bee Gees and/or Peter Frampton as I had come to believe thanks to that crime-against-humanity Sergeant Pepper movie. The scars from that indoctrination run deep; I still can't help hearing "She's Leaving Home" in creepy vocoder robot voices, and "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" in Steve Martin's coked-up sprechstimme.

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

I was a kid watching a Canadian game show called "Headline Hunters".

A ticker went across the bottom of the screen saying he had been shot in NYC.

After the show ended they did a special news report, and that's when they said he was dead.

I was in total shock. The Beatles were everything to me growing up. My first record was Yellow Submarine. Hell I remember going to school in the first grade and crying because they announced on the radio that the Beatles had broken up.

They are probably why I am a musician.

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

It is also Jim Morrison's birthday.

True. What happened is so awful I'd rather think about that , it helps a lot . We had a nice crowd at Jim's 70th bday party last night in Venice. (Doors tribute gig.)

Archived