Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SK2 Issue

tompass

On two occasions, I have experienced my SK2 momentarily cutting in and out and display changing randomly to the Leslie programming screen. First time the instrument was left for several days in my truck with near freezing temperature and when I fired it up, it immediately began to display the problem. After about 1/2 hour and reaching room temperature, it began to behave normally. Assumed issue was cold weather related. Tonight at end of 4 hour gig, it once again did same thing but after about 10 minutes, it returned to normal. Any ideas? Power spike? Bad power supply?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to say - maybe a dry joint somewhere.

Try putting just the PSU in the fridge to eliminate that first.

And then I guess you Americans have fridges big enough to put the SK2 in? :)

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Could something have gotten into the Leslie control switches that would hold them closed ie: spilled drink or other substance? The Leslie menu popping up would happen if one of the switches is pressed for a second. Condensation from the cold instrument in a warm environment could short out/close some circuits/switches too.

Also may add that what was really happening, now that I think about it, is that when striking a key or keys there was a slight delay with audio as if I were indeed changing programs. Also remember that although I was using a surge protector strip, we were on a 30 foot hotel extension cord so perhaps there was something on that circuit that interfered with SK power adapater.

You need to be clear about what happened on each occasion.

Was this twice at the same place or different days?

You didn't mention the surge protector strip before so we couldn't remember it!

What was the setup in each case?

Seems unlikely that a hotel would have a poor power supply surely?

Certainly leaving an instrument in a cold environment is likely to cause condensation problems when brought inside.

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

My SK-1 on occasion will do a similar thing with either the display showing the Leslie settings or effects settings. I usually just hit the "Manual" button (since that is the setting I typically use) and all is good. Although, the unit never cut out and it only has happened when first powered up.

Despite keeping the unit in a hard Gator case when not being used, it gets pretty dusty from the club environment. We gig about 100 nights a year and I have been using it since it came out. My feeling is the switches may be a little dirty.

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

To be clear, the sentence should have read " I do remember" regarding the power strip. Sorry for confusion. It should also be understood these were on two different days/circumstances. Did not think about hitting the "manual" button so if it happens again, I will try that. Not sure there is any way to clean the switches without taking the board apart. The hotel extension cord could have had some issues and/or the circuit it was on also had some occasional high demand on it. Thanks for input.

Never fire up a very cold instrument immediately after setting it up !!!

You should wait some time to avoid moisture on your curcuit boards inside.

Could result in very strange behaviour or worst case: Severe damage !!!

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Prophet 5, Roland SE02, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, Yamaha Montage M7

Live: Yamaha CP88, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Roland Fantom 07, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent

Certainly not a good idea to leave in cold and then immediately set up and play. This is what happened on first occasion. Not the case last evening as the instrument was up and running for 3 hours before it happened. Have had it on for about 5 hours now at home and no issues so far.

Ten hours with board powered up and no problems. I will have to assume that had something to do with hotel restaurant equipment being on same circuit. Keyboard returned to normal operation after about 10 minutes of panic last evening so who knows. Thanks for all the help. Gig on Tuesday and will hope for the best.

If you are suspecting power fluctuations as the issue (I don't think that is the issue, surmising from the info you've supplied) you should consider adding a voltage regulator to your rig if you play those fluctuating venues often.
Nobody told me there'd be days like these...

The SK's are sensitive to voltage issues. Venues that are not real music venues often have very shady power. I travel with a Tripp-Lite line conditioner after the PSU on my SK2 fried due to an outside patio gig where the power was less than 90v (I tested it the next time we played there, after it killed my SK2).

Always a good idea to have a line conditioner in the car.

I did email tech support and am waiting for response. May also order another power supply. A bit pricy around $80 but would be good to have a back up. Although looking at the line conditioner, I may just pop for that first but it is a bit heavy.

This is what I use. They call it a "line conditioner".

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=208

Same one I've been using for many years. Never leave home without it; it's heavy but a permanent part of my gig bag.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Ray from Hammond tech support did respond to my message. He thinks there is something wrong with board but will get back to me. I absolutely dread having to part with this board and send it to who knows where for who knows how long. Don't see how it can be fixed if it is so intermittent. May take weeks for it to happen again. Someone suggested going to manual setting when it happens. Has worked for him.

The second time it happened was the SK-2 in a hot environment or where something could have caused it to get hot? You may have had the same problem with 2 different causes, well actually one cause but at opposite ends. If the CPU was too cold or too hot it may have acted up for a bit until it got back within its operating temperature range. Also, maybe if the voltage was a little off the second time that might have caused it to heat up more than normal.

The second time it happened I was about 3 hours into a 4 hour gig in a hotel environment. Room was around 70F so not anything unusual and neither the board or power supply was beyond warm at best. One of the questions Ray asked was with the first incident if I allowed keyboard come to room temp before turning it on, which I did not. I understand why we should do that but that is not always practical. Transporting the board in an unheated space and walking into club, can not wait until it gets acclimated. Keyboard was used 2-3 time between incidents and did not display any problems. Left it on for 20 hours yesterday and no problem. I do believe the second incident, and maybe even the first because the power supply was also out in cold, was do to some power fluctuation. Not sure how the board can be serviced if the problem is so intermittent. I think I am first going to order a replacement power supply.

The second time the environment could have been fine but voltage could have been off. If the PS was receiving low voltage and then putting out a low voltage that could have stressed the circuitry and CPU. It is my understanding that low voltage can do more damage than high voltage (not spike high) for example, <90 volts can do more harm than >130 volts.

I use one of these around the house:

http://www.p3international.com/products/p4400.html

It could be handy at gigs.

I may look into one of these too:

http://www.p3international.com/products/p4330.html

I am also convinced that it is power supply problem. Those items in link I assume tell you about the quality of power but will not "condition" the power. Others are recommending a power conditioner but I have read mixed reviews on the conditioner.

They don't affect the power they just tell you what it is - voltage and frequency, if the ground is good and how the equipment plugged into it is using it etc. It could be used as a supplement to a conditioner. Pre-conditioner it would indicate how much "conditioning" is needed and post conditioner tell you if it is getting done.

Archived