Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iStuff - I'm no longer in the dark ages

J. Dan

So I had a 16 gig iPad 1 and a blackberry. We just got new 128 gig iPads from work (which we can use for personal so long as we follow company guidelines, like the wallpaper has to be the logo and our personal apps don't show on the first page of icons). In setting up our exchange email and hotspots on our phone, I was told I have to switch to an iPhone 5s. They're sending one to me now.

Even though we can use them for personal, I think I'd still be nervous taking it to a gig, but looking forward to digging into all the stuff you guys have been talking about at home.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have them password protected and "fine iPhone" installed as part of the company security policy so they can find it and remotely wipe it if it were to walk off. I'd be more worried about wear/damage. We have AppleCare with the 3yr warranty, but I'm sure damage wouldn't be covered.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Actually, I have a question...I know there are a number of options...what is the cheapest option you would recommend for a line in?

Dan

I'd be more worried about wear/damage. We have AppleCare with the 3yr warranty, but I'm sure damage wouldn't be covered.

IPad screens are very vulnerable to breakage. There's a huge disagreement between two close friends of mine about the breakage of his iPad screen. You sure don't want anyone go bump you while you're using it, and that happens all the time in clubs. If it weren't mine and I were responsible for it, I don't know if I would take it out into a crowded club either.

I'd be more worried about wear/damage. We have AppleCare with the 3yr warranty, but I'm sure damage wouldn't be covered.

IPad screens are very vulnerable to breakage. There's a huge disagreement between two close friends of mine about the breakage of his iPad screen. You sure don't want anyone go bump you while you're using it, and that happens all the time in clubs. If it weren't mine and I were responsible for it, I don't know if I would take it out into a crowded club either.

I understand. But I had a nice pair of rollerblades. I was afraid to wreck them, so I kept them in a box. Do you know what happened? I outgrew them. I never wore them outside. Only in my room a few times. I know a person's iPad is very different than skates. But they're kind of the same thing. If you won't use your iPad, who cares if it gets broken? If you just keep it to yourself, maybe it'll be like my rollerblades. When you do decide to try it, it won't be any good. You should take a chance. Got nothing to lose.

I've dropped my Ipad 2 and made dings in the metal but (fortunately) not broken the screen yet.

@IDan :) ... (Thanks Sam), I think you would love playing the top synthesis apps: Animoog, Thor, Imini etc. You might not enjoy gigging with the pad however, because you are a power user of workstations, and multi-timbrality is still cludgy on IOS. (Midi bridge will help.)

Still there are some fun features, especially in new types of control, and if anyone is going to figure out how to make something rock live, it would be you. Looking forward to hearing about your new adventures with the Ipad. :cool::thu:

I understand. But I had a nice pair of rollerblades. I was afraid to wreck them, so I kept them in a box. Do you know what happened? I outgrew them. I never wore them outside. Only in my room a few times. I know a person's iPad is very different than skates. But they're kind of the same thing. If you won't use your iPad, who cares if it gets broken? If you just keep it to yourself, maybe it'll be like my rollerblades. When you do decide to try it, it won't be any good. You should take a chance. Got nothing to lose.

I almost did not realize you were being sarcastic. :)

Dan, I think you have the right idea. Enjoy it, but keep it out of the clubs. If one of my clinicians came into my office and said "About that nice laptop you assigned to me. I was using it as a sound module and when the band was playing in a club ..." Well, that clinician would probably be stuck using an old Vista desktop until the day I retire. :sick:

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I don't know about taking the status symbol of the fun or wannabees and turning in into the new commodore 64, not sure that's a great idea at all.

It is my opinion you could also use a Android pad or a Xperia to stay out of that definition of the middle ages, in fact I like my Nokia Communicator (II) better as a dry and trustworthy quality machine..

Theo

I almost did not realize you were being sarcastic. :)

:

Sorry.. I watched "Home Alone 2" this week.. must've slipped into my subconscious. :blush:

I don't know about taking the status symbol of the fun or wannabees and turning in into the new commodore 64, not sure that's a great idea at all.

Stereotyping every iPad owner as a "wannabee"? Not sure THAT'S a great idea at all. :)

That's not where I was going with this at all you guys. I take my phablet (a Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3) into the club I work five nights a week, but it's mine. If I owned an iPad I wouldn't just use it home. If I was entrusted someone else's iPad I probably would though.

I put my wife's i-pad mini in a otter box-type case, in the hopes of avoiding damage.

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

.. I don't know about taking the status symbol of the fun or wannabees ...

Stereotyping every iPad owner as a "wannabee"? Not sure THAT'S a great idea at all. :)

Why do you think the wannabee (or wannahave and therewith wannabee) is not an option for a certain group of I-*** lovers? Certainly a subgroup (not the fun ones, most likely) is that way. I mean marketing-wise, what sets the I-*** stuff apart from others ? I'm not against the ipad or other I things, but isn't it one of the more hyped thingies out there? The quality is ok, but there are others, too, so it is a sort of a generalization of a lot of people to presume more than a brand, and naming thing, yes ?

I mean marketing-wise, what sets the I-*** stuff apart from others ?

Regarding Apple's marketing, market share, & profit...

Here are two recent, and very interesting articles:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57614594-37/apples-very-happy-holiday-season/

The Macintosh desktops and laptops, for example, have only a 10 percent market share but the $21 billion business generated 45 percent of PC category profits in the fourth quarter of 2012..

http://www.asymco.com/2013/04/16/escaping-pcs/

I don't consider myself a fan-boy of anything - except myself. :cool:

Nevertheless, the information in these two articles indentifies some excellent reasons regarding what sets Apple's products apart from the others.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Congrats - the Mrs bought me an iPad last June for my birthday and we both call it The Magic Pad - I love it - it is not a computer but it is a great gizmo. Enjoy.

I have Fourscore, iRealBook, an ear training app, a couple of soft synth things like the iMini and Jordan R Morphwiz. got an ad from iRig about their new full sized key 37 note controller - might be under the tree this xmas...but I have not been very good this year.

Archived