Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

case or bag suggestions for half-rack or smaller units?

Jeff_D_in_MD

I just bought a Kurzweil Micropiano half-rack unit, and I already have a Rolls MX28 mini-mixer (smaller than half rack). I would like a solution for keeping the two together and somewhat protected for transport -- specifically, a bag or case that is not too much larger than needed.

The Gator GRB-2U bag is one of the smallest I can find, but it is full-width so more than twice as big as needed. The Gator G-TOUR 4UHR is half-rack width but 4U tall, so again more than twice the volume needed. What I'd really like is something half-rack width and 2U high. It doesn't have to be officially music gear -- some sort of clever suggestion would be nice. I was wondering, for example, if I might be able to find a shoulder bag that audio personnel once used in the field when they had to carry Nagra or Uher open-reel or cassette recorders. Any suggestions would be welcome.

On a related note, is it possible to find attachments to enable the Rolls MX28 to be rack-mounted?

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it was me, I'd go with a 2U shallow-depth rack bag, mount the two half-rack units on a rack shelf, stick a Furman or similar power unit on the bottom, zip tie all the wall wart noodling neatly and call it good.

This. :thu:

Middle Atlantic has some nice solutions for mounting devices:

Clonk here.

Okay, thank you for the suggestion. It does require purchasing another piece of gear just to fill the void, though admittedly I've been considering a Furman power conditioner. Do those typically provide enough power to run a powered speaker or two, or are they only for the low-power gear?

Any specific suggestions on a 2U shallow depth bag? I found the Gator GR-RACKBAG-2U, which at 12.5" interior depth does not seem particularly shallow (only 1.5" shallower than their next model).

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

If it was me, I'd go with a 2U shallow-depth rack bag, mount the two half-rack units on a rack shelf, stick a Furman or similar power unit on the bottom, zip tie all the wall wart noodling neatly and call it good.

This. :thu:

Middle Atlantic has some nice solutions for mounting devices:

Clonk here.

Welcome back from the Tardis trip through time and space, Dr. Sven (Who?)

:)

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Okay, thank you for the suggestion. It does require purchasing another piece of gear just to fill the void, though admittedly I've been considering a Furman power conditioner. Do those typically provide enough power to run a powered speaker or two, or are they only for the low-power gear?

I wouldn't gig without one personally. Doesn't have to be Furman. Tim has the right idea. I do the same. Makes things much easier, especially in low light conditions. As an aside, these units do not provide their own power, so to answer your question any decent 110V outlet should provide enough power for a couple powered speakers and a module or two.

:nopity:

I use an old laptop bag for a tabletop sampler, midi interface, and netbook.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Jeff,

Here's more on why my suggestion:

- the rack case keeps everything safer than loose boxes rattling around

- having all the power connections in place and tidied up reduces your setup/teardown routine, and keeps things from getting lost or broken

- frankly, having a rack makes setup predictable. some stage situations are so cramped or weird that a rack gives you more placement options (on its side, under a speaker, etc.)

- having a power strip in a rack makes all your rig power centralized

- rack mounting the module and mixer lets you prewire the audio connections from one to another - secure, reliable, always done

- always lived in a rack means higher resale should you ever sell

- all of the above means easier, faster, more predictable schlep factor

While some of these may not apply in every situation (and some may never apply to yours), in the long run it will keep your gear in better condition over the long haul. Anyway, thought I'd amplify on reasons for my original answer.

Best of luck to you on your final solution.

Tim

I use an old laptop bag for a tabletop sampler, midi interface, and netbook.

An excellent idea that I should have thought of long ago.

thanks

My M Audio bag has plenty of room for my Mac, the XV2020, cables, power chords, midi and usb chords for both, the sound card and its cables. It has gone through countless air trips and it still stands strong

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I run my entire rig off the Furman in my rack. I think it's 15amp capacity- I could probably power our small PA with subs off of it too.

I suggested the laptop bag because it wasn't clear (to me) that you wanted cable access as well. That sort of limits you to a rack or case that has a removable front and rear.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Archived