Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Great bit of prog

Aidan

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Hadn't heard of him (or them) before.

Thanks for posting that!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Tight musicians. Each very good and interesting in their own right. Their videos remind me of how much I hated that video of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody though. The song endured despite it.

...I don't think the parts hang together as well as on some of his other stuff. The perils of prog!

I believe failures and successes at this would make a good thread topic. A song by Marillion that seems to take a wrong turn immediately comes to mind. With digital technology it should be easier than ever to isolate parts and match them up in different compositions experimenting to see how they work with this or that mixture.

Thank you for posting our track, and thank you for taking the time to listen!

I understand the comment about the parts not mashing up together - this is the first time we're experimenting with a live version of the band so all the songs are constantly being altered and changed because of the dynamic nature of this line-up.

this particular song has a 'studio' version we recorded some time ago with Jordan Rudess:

Eyal

I love the live version, with its eclectic fusion of styles and genres. What makes it work for me is the passion with which it's played, and the explosive solos. The Jordan Rudess version is interesting, and perhaps more cohesive, but I would rather listen to musicians bouncing off each other's performances and giving their all in a live setting. Great stuff!

I love the live version, with its eclectic fusion of styles and genres. What makes it work for me is the passion with which it's played, and the explosive solos. The Jordan Rudess version is interesting, and perhaps more cohesive, but I would rather listen to musicians bouncing off each other's performances and giving their all in a live setting. Great stuff!

+1 :thu:

:nopity:

@Aidan. Thanks. Just in from buying a tree and had a cup of coffee and watched that. Nice playing.

"Prog" - concept albums, nice playing and dynamics, longer songs often more complex than radio pop structure, sometimes rather strange lyrics and subject matter.

I'm wondering if I'm actually an Art Rock fan rather than Prog.

This is sort of Steely Dan meets Dream Theatre.

What category are Elbow, Muse, Radiohead?

Is Bowie's Ziggy stuff or "She's So Heavy" from Abbey Road in anyway "prog"?

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Musicianship! So much prog is just time sigs and scales. This is more "composed", which I like, i.e. the music seems to have a point to it rather than just showing off chops. In other words, normal humans might listen to this 'cause it sounds cool. Good stuff!

My music http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/Pk12

My Soundware (Kurzweil PC3)http://pksoundware.blogspot.com/

My Kurzweil PC3 Tutorials http://www.youtube.com/user/poserp.

The only comparison drawn with Queen was about the style of the video, I believe nothing to do with the music.

I have a degree in music (with a major in composition). Will that do? What sort of comments were you seeking, beyond agreeing with whatever the hell your opinion is?

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

See that little bar on the side of your browser? It can go up as well as down, you know?

Tight musicians. Each very good and interesting in their own right. Their videos remind me of how much I hated that video of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody though. The song endured despite it.

So, there is no musical comparison with Queen, is there?

As with the Michael McDonald clip, can I suggest, if you don't dig, maybe just move on?

If you can't be arsed to read before you post, well, just don't post.

I'm sure many of us would enjoy the holiday.

Hmm, "request to produce sh*t unbodered". *I* don't agree, so I used a little bandwidth to prevent that some lesser knowledgeable people may think that's all there is. There's great fusion ("Prog"essive), too, guys and girls, some people just aren't up to that, and can't spare much respect for the difference. Duh.

I'll shut up now (I'm reliable, so I won't say more in this thread).

Theo V.

Wow.... to these ears... the music does not readily remind me of any music I have heard before. Just my immediate impression; in other words high marks for originality. Of course I have not heard a lot of music that those younger people have heard. It is "musical" in my opinion as well, not just somewhat original.

Might anyone correct me about the extent of this musics originality, by naming strong influences that suggest to you that these cats heavily are borrowing from XYZ groups?

Thank you for the offering. And yes to the Swedish trio Dirty Loops.. I do not know the other group someone here mentioned.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I think Eyal would acknowledge the nod to Gentle Giant going on here at least. Also a bit of Dream Theatre (inevitably, almost). However the strongest thing about this clip is how RnL are finding their own melodic voice.

First of all, thank you for this entertaining discussion - I'm really enjoying a lot! :)

Regarding influences - you can definitely mention GG and DT there, as well as some other prog greats like Yes (big influence on this particular track). I also like to mention Pat Metheny, Chick Corea and Jaco Pastorius that always seem to be there with my music, and in the case of the intro of this song, probably some Bobby McFerrin/Richard Bona too...

But who knows, really. I'm just throwing whatever feels natural to me and hoping it will go through to the audience.

Oh, and I definitely see Queen as a HUGE inspiration over anything I do as well. :)

Archived