Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What are the Top 10 Soul Jazz Tunes?

Jazz+

Couldn't disagree more. There is some astounding Jazzy Soul and soulful Jazz being made today.

That's fine. I'm willing to bet it sounds more like instrumental R&B than Soul Jazz. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Couldn't disagree more. There is some astounding Jazzy Soul and soulful Jazz being made today.

That's fine. I'm willing to bet it sounds more like instrumental R&B than Soul Jazz. :laugh::cool:

Ok. instrumental R&B. Can you give this clueless dude examples of what you mean by instrumental R&B and then Soul Jazz? Is there a clear difference, is what I am wondering?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Neither Gregory Porter or Jose James are instrumental.

And that reminds me of another song: Trouble.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

As long as we're pigeonholing genres, can we now classify Acid Jazz and Neo Soul as Soul Jazz?

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

"Soul" was Jazz musicians' way of trying to make commercially accessible music using the flavor of 60s/early 70s Soul/R&B.

Surely, a few original tunes resulted from that movement. But, the only audience I can imagine wanting to hear those tunes would be residing in an assisted living facility. :laugh:

Otherwise, by extension, Jazz musos today would be using current Pop/R&B/Hip-Hop music as the template for any type of "Soul" Jazz i.e. commercially accessible music.

Wait a minute...Smooth Jazz is the bastard cousin of that approach. :sick::laugh::cool:

May I ask you, in case ProfD is busy... what exactly do you disagree with?

I disagree with the notion that Soul was over in the 70s and that only septuagenarians enjoy listening to it.

I have always resisted the concept of genre's and still do... but they are so pervasive, I am asking questions sincerely, to see what you all believe.

In the past there were very many less genre's.

Cool, ok, I think I know what you mean about Soul music being alive today.

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Not a top 10 song but impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMvK_HtArJo

32 years ago a couple of 16/17 year old kids broke out this album that Grover Washington helped them with .... Incredible for teenagers to produce this quality of music ....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Way cool. I'll have to bookmark this thread. Lots of great stuff here. And timely: I was JUST driving home and heard a tune played under the announcements and I KNEW that tune, but what the HECK is it? Then I saw Watermelon Man on the list. AHA!

This forum rocks. And souls, and jazzes. Diggit baby.

I disagree with the notion that Soul was over in the 70s and that only septuagenarians enjoy listening to it.
Nah, it's true. I'm in a soul band; we play the classics from the 60's and 70's, like Otis Redding, Sam & Dave, Wilson Pickett, Spencer Davis Group, and James Brown. Only old greyhairs show up, with their walkers and oxygen bottles. Nobody dances. It's such a snooze. I just can't wait until I'm old enough to really appreciate it.

The genre thing for me is a slippery slope as well. On one hand, categorizing something with a label does limit it in a sense. On the other, it does give a thing context.

A big thing I discovered when I lived on the east coast was how much people associated you by your ethnicity. "What are you" is a frequent question I got a lot. So instead of being just a white guy, I was now the Irish/German guy. That does inform more about me than just being white or tall or American.

So to see the Blues spin off into Jazz which spun off into Soul and R&B and Hip Hop all of those things having sub-categories as well I can see how the genre thing can better inform the listener. But I can also see how it can get a little out of hand.

For me "Soul" music is anything with just that, soul. Hendrix was Soul. Michael McDonald is Soul. God forbid, even some Robin Thicke is Soul.

Nicholas Payton is trying to rename Jazz and Soul "Black American Music." I have an issue with this because some great Soul is being made by people who aren't either black or American. This is where the genre thing get's a little ridiculous to me.

Has anyone noticed that some melodies seem to "resist audience recognition " more than other melodies ?

In crowd was done on piano. So assuming crowd knew the tune it should be easily recognized

I can't think off the top of my head which tunes I have rejected while on a gig

1 because we had no one to sing it

2 I did not think the melody was clearly distinguishable enough for a piano rendition

3. I think it is in the nature of the certain melodies/harmonies, that without

hearing the actual instrument that made it popular, and or the rhythm, that distinguishing the melody easily is more challenging. Of course a musician would recognize it.. but a non musician, I don't know.

Anyone relate ?

edit: I am guessing but Hip Hugger on solo ac piano?!!

Folks recognize In Crowd when you finally get to the A-C ascending hits at the very end. Or maybe only the "in crowd" gets it, ha.

Interesting observation about audiences. You think they notice that cool A-C climax, eh?

So, if a say for example, a soul type tune does NOT have an atypical ( atypical for soul ) chord progression and rhythmic thrust like In Crowd's A- C , chances are stronger the audience members will less likely recognize the tune!

It can't just be a funky blues that is rendered on the piano!

In other words, people hear us play funky blues all the time, what distinguishes a soulful MELODY from a funky solo!

You're taking my post too seriously. Actually, I've played In Crowd and had people recognize it even from the opening melody, as generic as it is. These people are always "of a certain age," mind you.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Ok, you guys are in my genre now! I'll mention some that I really like and are crowd friendly as well.

From Herbie:

My Favorite!!!!

Bring down the birds (groove is in the heart sample) Check out James Taylor (British) version

Chameleon

Cantaloupe Island

From Les McCann/Eddie Harris

Check out the Swiss Movement Album, almost all songs are amazing

some mentioned already like Cold Duck Time and Compare to What, but don't overlook "You got it in your Soulness"

Eddie Harris solo

Freedom Jazz Dance

listen here

Ronnie Laws

Always There

Gene Harris and the Three Sounds

Sitting Duck

Sonny Rollins

St. Thomas

Joe Cuba

Bang Bang

Ray Charles

His whole damn book but,

I don't need no Doctor

Unchain my Heart

Sonny Clark

Cool Struttin'

Bobby Timmons

Dat Dere

This Here

Horace Silver

Psychedelic Sally

Stanley Turrentine

Spooky

Last but not least don't forget

Funky Fanfare by Keith Mansfield (a great way to start of a Soul Jazz show)

Some of those might work and aren't played too much

Kurzweil PC3x, Nord Electro 3, Nord C-1, Casio Privia PX-3, Yamaha DX-7, Korg Polysix, Moog Taurus 3, Yamaha Motif XS (rack),Ventilator, QSC K12, K10

I am not sure of the exact definition of "soul jazz" but I am up for interesting discussions on repertoire improvement, so I will contribute.

" Jeanine" by Cannonball Adderly ( actually written by Duke Pearson) is a tune that always gets results for me. It just naturally swings.

Also check out " Back to the Tracks" - recorded by Tina Brooks on Blue Note circa 1960. It's a very cool 24 bar blues.

"Steppin Out" by Harold Vick is another Blue Note cooker. The original featured Big John Patton on organ at his groovingest and Grant Green on Guitar.

I have been playing " Affirmation" by George Benson lately. And also check out his version of "The Ghetto" by Donny Hathaway or Donnie's original.

If you do vocals you can do a lot more. Someone mentioned " Be Thankful for What you Got (diamond in the back....)

by William DeVaughn. This is a tune I have done for years, but you have to be able to sing it. Simple two chord tune but it strikes a chord with soul fanatics.

The genre thing for me is a slippery slope as well. On one hand, categorizing something with a label does limit it in a sense. On the other, it does give a thing context.

A big thing I discovered when I lived on the east coast was how much people associated you by your ethnicity. "What are you" is a frequent question I got a lot. So instead of being just a white guy, I was now the Irish/German guy. That does inform more about me than just being white or tall or American.

So to see the Blues spin off into Jazz which spun off into Soul and R&B and Hip Hop all of those things having sub-categories as well I can see how the genre thing can better inform the listener. But I can also see how it can get a little out of hand.

For me "Soul" music is anything with just that, soul. Hendrix was Soul. Michael McDonald is Soul. God forbid, even some Robin Thicke is Soul.

Bonnie Raitt

Bonnie Raitt

Absolutely.

i wish

If that's "I Wish I Knew What It Would Feel Like To Be Free" (there are some parentheses in there, but can't remember where), I agree.

Maybe it's a little hymnal, but I've been playing this more lately -- good place to do some of those angular bebop lines a la Billy Taylor and get fresh.

Archived