Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MOXF 8

Six-string-man

Anyone bought/played or even SEEN a MOXF 8 yet? Anyone tell me what the action/playability is like? Are they gig-worthy, with quick parameter changes possible? Do they EVEN EXIST?

I have spoken to most of our main suppliers on this side of the pond, and am getting "We maybe getting a 6 in eventually, not sure about an 8". // "We can get one for you, but we are not stocking them". // "I can order you one, no problem, you can have it in ten days. You want to DEMO one? (Sharp intake of breath). MM, well, we're not actually going to have them on the shop floor, we're just going to send them out to customers"

And most unbelievably of all "It will be about 3 months". I mean, WTF? Bear in mind that these are big well established keyboard shops. Two of them are Yamaha main dealers.

All I want, is to go to a store, have a quick play, and, if I like it, shell out £1500+ for the board and a 1GB insert. Is that so hard? Are all these companies doing so well that that they don't need my hard earned coin?

(a fuming) SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I know the action should be identical to that of the MOX8, so for that, you can try one of those. Sound- and navigation wise I dont know. I am also GASing a little bit for this board.

Thomann (German store) claims that if you order now, it will arrive at 8th of november. Don't know why your suppliers needs 3 months...

Rudy

From what I know the action should be identical to that of the MOX8, so for that, you can try one of those. Sound- and navigation wise I dont know. I am also GASing a little bit for this board.

Thomann (German store) claims that if you order now, it will arrive at 8th of november. Don't know why your suppliers needs 3 months...

Most of the stores I contacted are willing to get me one in 10-14 days, but I want to sit down and play one before I buy!

I do use Thomann, I have an iConnect2 Midi on order from them at the moment. Should be here Thurs/Fri, then I can connect my iPad up.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

I had a chance to both see & play a MOXF 8 this weekend....the external interface is essentially unchanged. However playability seemed slightly improved to me even though it still uses the GHS keybed. Perhaps due to better voicing & better velocity curve matching? Sound quality improved also, probably due to the XF sample set. Bottom line: a pretty great value for a workstation-ROMpler. Should definitely be on the short list for sample-based instruments.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

Well said six-string......I'm interested in upgrading my ageing Triton for a MOXF 8 but no way am I going to part with hard earned dosh until I've played the bloody thing; regardless of how similar it is to the MOX 8! The attitude seems to be 'order it and return it if your not happy'........let us know if you find a stockist; preferably in the East Midlands!

Gentlemen,

I ahve been playing an MOX8 for a few years now. My local store her ein the U.S. has an MOXF8 on the sales floor. I can tell you that with the excpetion of th enew fetures and added polyphony, everything is in the same place.

The keybed felt identical, to me, as my MOX8.

Navigation was the same.

So, my opinion is that if you can fin8 an MOX8 to spend sometime with, you will get a good understaing of how the MOXF8 feels and plays.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Well said six-string......I'm interested in upgrading my ageing Triton for a MOXF 8 but no way am I going to part with hard earned dosh until I've played the bloody thing; regardless of how similar it is to the MOX 8! The attitude seems to be 'order it and return it if your not happy'........let us know if you find a stockist; preferably in the East Midlands!

So far, I've tried Leeds, York, Newcastle, Glasgow and London. May have struck lucky, I phoned a call centre, and amazingly enough, actually knew the girl who answered!!!! Anyway, she says she'll gee up the Glasgow store, and ring me back, at home, within the week with an answer. (Other call centres take note: this is known as CUSTOMER SERVICE)

Nothing in the East Midlands I'm afraid. Surely you have a decent keyboard store in Leicester/Derby/ Nottingham? If not, There MUST be somewhere in Brum? I'm afraid that when I frequented those areas, I was still a guitarist, and wasn't really taking any notice of keyboards, sorry.

Good luck!

SSM

There is a PMT in Brum (never been in that one), don't think DV has a shop there anymore but it was like a cupboard anyway. Even the infamous Musical Exchanges (known universally as "Hostile Exchanges" because of its notorious customer service levels) is long gone.

All a long way from the Aladdin's cave that was the keyboard dept at the much-missed Woodroffe's store, presided over in succession by Dave Bristow and Gez Woodroffe.

I'm pretty sure The Production Room in Leeds had a MOX8 in last time I was there...

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I'm pretty sure The Production Room in Leeds had a MOX8 in last time I was there...

Must have been a while ago. They only do Yamaha to order now. Since the Kronos and Krome came out, they reckon that Korg is a much bigger seller.

They still do Nord and Casio, and have an excellent range of Nearfield monitors, and a fair range of P/A.

Gear4Music in York seem to have taken over as the area's main Yammie dealer. They also are a big Roland dealer, even had a brand new Jupiter on the shop floor when I was in two days ago, Didn't know that they were still making them!

I believe that the only DV247 left is the one in Romford. Could be wrong about that though.

SSM

Must have been a while ago.

I was about to refute this, when I did the maths and found it was absolutely true. At the time, I was in the company of John (jpscoey on KC) and he's been lost to us a year now. RIP John :(

(Dennis Farina voice) UPDATE: Spoke to the keyboard guy at Millennium and received a tirade about how they're not doing Yamaha anymore because they update their piano range so often "it's getting ridiculous". He recommended a Nord Piano. Sigh.

(Dennis Farina voice) UPDATE: Spoke to the keyboard guy at Millennium and received a tirade about how they're not doing Yamaha anymore because they update their piano range so often "it's getting ridiculous".

And god forbid anyone have to learn anything new. It always amazing to me how little the "keyboard guys" at the typical music store know about their products. Yes, it is a lot more complicated than the latest Fender Strat copy, but IT's YOUR JOB. There are exceptions of course and I try to reward sales people who actually know what they are talking about.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Sam, maybe he had a bad experience with the CP5 interface and it drove him over the edge! But I don't ring up music shops to inquire about availability to effectively be told my choice is a steaming pile of ****.

Sam, maybe he had a bad experience with the CP5 interface and it drove him over the edge! But I don't ring up music shops to inquire about availability to effectively be told my choice is a steaming pile of ****.

+1

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my friend in the call centre got back to me. Guitar Guitar (Digital) in Glasgow have the MOXF6 in stock, and the MOXF8 will be arriving in 2-3 weeks. She is going to give me a call when it comes in.

I feel a road trip coming on. Sorry Melb, I know it's a bit of a schlep from Peterborough, but at least you have an option now.

SSM

Archived