Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My Mellotrons Made My Wife a Star at Rhino...

HammondDave

So my wife just told me a funny story.

Dana works in the merchandise licensing department at Rhino Records (now a part of Warner Music in LA). She was at the office and was talking to one of the big wigs who is working on a project compiling rare live recordings of prog bands of 1972. She told him about Robert Fripp putting together a new King Crimson tour.

The exec was surprised that she knew of KC as she belongs to a younger generation (born in the 80's). My wife said: "Of course I know of King Crimson, Yes, etc... I have two Mellotrons at my house!" Silence.... The exec said "You have got to be kidding! This I want to see!"

So now I will be giving tours...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The exec was surprised that she knew of KC as she belongs to a younger generation (born in the 80's). My wife said: "Of course I know of King Crimson, Yes, etc... I have two Mellotrons at my house!" Silence.... The exec said "You have got to be kidding! This I want to see!"

So now I will be giving tours...

Terrific story. Descriptive too. I could just picture the exec's facial expression.

Steve Coscia

:thu: man! Them things truly were light years ahead of their time! Do you customize your tapes? Just curious.. Never played one myself..

I have mark II violins, brass, and flutes in my m400. I have another tape frame of m400 violins, flutes, and mixed choir.

I do plan on replacing the tapes in my M300 to a custom set. Right now there are 24 sounds in it including accordion, M300 strings, dark strings, multiple choirs, Ian MacDonald flutes, plucked piano, and several more unusual sounds.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Rhino records and prog bands? I never would have guessed . . .

So your wife is about 50 years younger than you? I tend to end up with the youngun's myself, but that's impressive!

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I know it'll be Heresy Lite, but I'm happy to be near buying M-Tron Pro and not needing the real thing. I got to play an M400 in good shape a few years back, containing just the classic strings, so I feel connected to the sound. I got the vital experience of engaging it as it wheezed its lovely way along. :D Its not unlike playing good piano samples on a semi-weighted controller and still being able to draw on the nuance you learned from sitting at the real thing. Sure, I might be missing a portion of its heady goodness taking this route, but what I lose in a tactile sense will be recouped in the depth of having it on my palette at all. The Mellotron is like the platypus: One of God's biggest jokes and richest gifts rolled into one. Lordy, I'm having a GAS hot flash.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

Rhino records and prog bands? I never would have guessed . . .

So your wife is about 50 years younger than you? I tend to end up with the youngun's myself, but that's impressive!

Yes, they are working on some very interesting projects at Rhino... And no, she is not 50 years younger... Just 25...

The Mellotron is like the platypus: One of God's biggest jokes and richest gifts rolled into one. Lordy, I'm having a GAS hot flash.

I love this description, David... Made me laugh...

Awesome! ! Post some grooves with it if ya get the itch.. would love to hear it!

You can hear a lot of these sounds on my website HERE

Hey Dave , that's a very impressive website you have there if I may say so , and nicely laid out. And very cool sound examples you have for the Mellotron at least.

It's got this beautiful and eerie string sound which I have always loved , and never heard on a digital KB yet >

Brett

Awesome! ! Post some grooves with it if ya get the itch.. would love to hear it!

You can hear a lot of these sounds on my website HERE

Nice!

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

:thu: man! Them things truly were light years ahead of their time! Do you customize your tapes? Just curious.. Never played one myself..

I have mark II violins, brass, and flutes in my m400. I have another tape frame of m400 violins, flutes, and mixed choir.

I do plan on replacing the tapes in my M300 to a custom set. Right now there are 24 sounds in it including accordion, M300 strings, dark strings, multiple choirs, Ian MacDonald flutes, plucked piano, and several more unusual sounds.

Hi Dave

That is one place where the M4000D outdoes the original - 100 "tapes" at hand at all times :cool:

R

Alan

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Oh yeah... The 4000D rocks! So do the new trons from Streetly. Its a good time to be a Troniac...

Had another Troniac discovery yesterday. I was at a business lunch with the Chair of the Design Department here at the university. Discovered that he was an electronic music composer from way back. We shared many stories of Arps and Moogs, then he flipped when I told him about my trons. He is bringing his class over for a demo.

The Mellotron is like the platypus: One of God's biggest jokes and richest gifts rolled into one. Lordy, I'm having a GAS hot flash.

I love this description, David... Made me laugh...

:thu:

And David, thanks for umm .... sharing your passion. ;):whistle:

[video:youtube]0gM5TjSOQ48

at least it's not a sheep. :D

Archived