Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sampletank for iPad - a keeper!!

miden

Just wanted to suggest to those folks using their iPads live to check out the new Sampletank for iPad app...some of the pianos are better than True Pianos and Lounge Lizard!!

Plus some of the guitars are pretty damn nice too.

In the context of a live p.a. these instruments lose not much at all (if anything) compared to single dedicated VSTi's.

I also bought the full set of instruments "in-app" which at only $49 for the entire library is a steal imo.

It can also run in the background, so for solo performers like me, I can setup my MP3 backing trax (most of which I recorded myself or created from my midi files) to link with the chart list in Unrealbook so that when a chart is selected the backing track is auto selected and ready to go...add to this the playing of the live keys from Sampletank, and it is all in the box.

Roland A-70 + iPad - that's it :) and the Maui LD 128.

Happy days.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fantastic! Amazing world we live in....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I bought SampleTank as well and really was impressed with the sounds - especially the EP's and Organs.

Still, at $4.99 the instruments in Garage Band are top notch and at least rival those in SampleTank. To some, they may sound better.

Great technology, and cheap cheap cheap.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

now.. someone please build a great keyboard controller with 18 drawbars.... Please?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Thanks for the feedback. As an aside how are you using the LD Systems Maui 28? As a PA or?

As a P.A. and monitoring system. I have also owned a Bose L1 Model I and Model II, and the Maui is the equal in sound quality. Bose have lots of presets and one does not really need a mixer (needed with the Maui) but at more than double the price, no thanks. Especially when (imo) the Mauis sounds just as good and with an equivalent power output to the Model II.

Of course the benefits of these systems are that no monitoring is needed. At some venues (with extra room) I actually place the tower many metres away from the playing position, and I get just as good a sound as everyone else in the room!!.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

....... Still, at $4.99 the instruments in Garage Band are top notch and at least rival those in SampleTank. To some, they may sound better.

Yeah I have been looking at GB as well ;) for its other attributes too. But with no straight wav transfer ability (in GB), I am still undecided on whether to buy or not.

Apologies if I missed it, but how do you have the ipad connected up? I have the cck but would also need a class-compliant midi-usb connector (so far bought one dud) and I'd have to use the headphone out in order to get the audio into my rig. In other words the hardware side is holding me back. I bought garage band previously and was considering sampletank, so if I can overcome my squeamishness for the hardware I might give it a go live.

I have the latest iPad with the "Lightning" connector. Bought a USB/Camera adaptor off eBay for $6 and use a USB cord to go from that into my controller. Using a Casio WK-7500 in the studio to play with the iPad, audio out of the iPad goes into the Casio's "audio in" jack, and I shut off local control on the Casio so I'm only hearing the iPad's sounds through the Casio's stereo speakers or headphones.

I know you can buy a much more expensive connector, but this one works just fine:

Auction for connector on eBay

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

If you'd like to check out a very good dedicated streaming sample grand piano app, check out CMP Grand Piano. Make sure you adjust the latency to it's lowest setting, 7 ms.

For grand and upright piano, this app blows away Sample tank (IMHO), but, piano is all it does.

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

Apologies if I missed it, but how do you have the ipad connected up? I have the cck but would also need a class-compliant midi-usb connector (so far bought one dud) and I'd have to use the headphone out in order to get the audio into my rig. In other words the hardware side is holding me back. I bought garage band previously and was considering sampletank, so if I can overcome my squeamishness for the hardware I might give it a go live.

I simply load up Sampletank (have it set to run in the background) connect the A-70 to the iPad via the Griffin MidiConnect, and run a really REALLY high quality mini stereo to twin 1/4" jacks to feed into the mixer stereo line in channel.

Well there are 13+ Acoustic pianos and about the same number of EP's in Sampletank, and tbh I don't agree that CMP blows it out of the water, perhaps marginally better, but not much. But with a basic 4 track sequencer, a myriad of basses, guitars, drums, synths, organs, orchestral as WELL as all the pianos.....I know which I prefer as an overall package.

But the CMP is okay and I might even buy it anyway ;) I wish AAS would release an iOS version of EP-4!!

Archived