Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing keyboards and drums...

PinkFloydDudi

at the same time, and singing, with some choreographed moves...

pretty impressive cover.

Bringing up a question actually - how many of you just play piano, how many are multi-instrumentalists??

Now I can strum some chords on a guitar, but I wouldn't consider myself a guitar player. Wondering how many of you have the skills to play a bunch of instruments?

[video:youtube]

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a bassist as well as a keyboardist (and have successfully employed myself for a few years as a bassist).

While I wouldnt call myself a guitarist, I actually play acoustic and electric guitar in a few bands I gig with (love my Receptorno guitar amps needed). I sing in every band Im in.

I played vibes and marimba in my college jazz ensemble.

Instruments I want to learn: banjo, mandolin, pedal steel. (Pedal Steel most of all)

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I play viola, guitar, and keys. I gave up on "mastering" an instrument a while back and have since just enjoyed playing these instruments for the sake of making music.

Lately I've been getting more into sampling my viola and guitar playing and manipulating the sampled audio in various ways. That's yet another discipline.

Keys, sax, bass, rhythm guitar - in that order.

Played Bass in a band for about 5 years - kind of funny...I sort of just messed around on bass before that for fun. I went to an audition thinking I'd audition keyboards and maybe end up playing bass on some songs. They had me leave the keys in the car and bring in my bass. The audition was on bass and somehow I got the gig.

Played Keys and sax in every band I've been in.

Only played Rhythm guitar in my last band for about 6 years because I figured even mediocre playing was better than trying to cover guitar parts on keys. Plus it was kind of fun running around stage and hamming it up with the lead guitarist.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I took up guitar in my 40s, and a few years later I'm still taking it up :) I would really like to feel confident enough to help out on rhythm--and nothing like a gig to make you gig-ready--but unfortunately we have two guitarists that don't play anything else!

I 'own' an acoustic guitar, but have not yet gotten myself past strumming a few chords. I studied percussion briefly, and played a little - mostly fill-in band and orchestra stuff in high school and college; not too coordinated on a drum kit though... Have a djembe here at the house, love playing it. Have used it in recording some original ideas, creating a few percussion loops, etc..

Was a brass player throughout my high school and college years: trumpet, then french horn. Still have the trumpet, though the last time I played it live was from 1998 - 2000; the lead singer in a band I played with steadily was a trumpet player as well, so we worked out some parts together. These days my embouchure is pretty rusty :eek:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Yeah I learned lead guitar in high school (mostly just copying Clapton, Jimmy Page, but by the time I really got into heavy blues, I was back in piano) and alto sax way younger and got pretty good (but I hadn't even heard of Bird or Paul Desmond by then, so obviously I was limited to corny arrangements).

But I always wanted to pick up a little trap set and play drums in the Levon Helm style -- that seems like something reasonable for me to do, as opposed to trying to be Elvin or something. Also bass fiddle -- eh, already know what notes I want to choose, just a matter of learning the technique.

Low quality guitarist / drummer / lap steel player here.

I do play lap steel on a couple of songs in my band now, which is about all I can manage - it starts to become obvious just how few licks I know at about the two song mark.

I've noticed that a lot of the more successful multi-instrumentalists I know (successful in term of actually playing multiple instruments well, not necessarily in financial/employment terms) started as drummers and then branched to other instruments. I used to play with a drummer who could cover just about any instrument in the band credibly, and he spent most of his practice time working on jazz standards on piano. Another guy I know is a great jazz drummer, but most of his gigs are in the traditional Irish and European folk scenes, he plays fiddle, banjo, mandolin, tin whistle and a number of other instruments well enough to tour with name acts.

I primarily gigged on bass for about 25 years, before getting back to keys about 5 years ago. While I don't regret the time I spent playing bass, some times I do wonder where my skills would be if I had been focussing on keys the entire time.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

RE: the video linked in the first post

HATE

LOL why such strong words? Whats so bad about it?

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

RE: the video linked in the first post

HATE

LOL why such strong words? Whats so bad about it?

Melodyne, Drum sound replacement (or were the drums just sequenced?), pretending to do a live performance in order to get hits on the infernet, lame, so many things to hate

But then some people enjoy watching the show Glee, so whatever, YMMV

Drums - my best instrument.

Keyboards - Well enough to pay the bills and be accepted as a music major. (At least, back when I was playing full time.)

Guitar and bass - Play for fun. Covered in a pinch when band members left.

Trumpet and Sax - First chair in high school. Don't have a sax. Just bought a new trumpet.

Harmonica - Own a few. Don't play well enough to say I play.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Guitar 1st,bass 2nd,keys 3rd, drums 4th, harmonica 5th. I've always wanted to be in a band with keys, so I mostly play keys in my bands. I'll play some lead guitar and harmonica when needed in my bands. I can't sing,I wish I could.

Also I end up bring too much stuff to the gigs, takes too long to set up, and by the time the sound man see's me on another instrument, the song is over and nobody's really heard me... I also spend too much time with the ukelele, I'm really wanting a cheap Marimba I keep seeing on craigslist!

Started out on guitar, then bass and ended up on keys. Got back into guitar a few years back and I figure I could be OK at it but don't get much chance as there's a lot of guitarists around and folks would rather hear me working out on keys. Lately I've taken up Mandolin and I get to play that a bit due to the novelty factor.

Other instruments I've spent some time on but never got to the point where I could gig on them:- sax, trumpet, flute, violin. Also harmonica, but the world definitely does not need another harmonica player.

Instruments I plan to have a go at:- Banjo (yes, really), and sax I've promised myself I'll semi-seriously concentrate on when I retire. I want to join some sort of band where I can be part of a sax section. I've spent all my life playing as part of a rhythm section, and I'd like to experience the feeling of playing in a horn section.

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, VB3M, B3X, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

Archived