Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VR-09 Hints and Tips

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back from holidays, where I brought the VR-09 with me.

I enjoyed the light weight, really ! And the different sounds were a pleasure to play. Also, someone lend me an ipad for a day, so I discovered the official synth editor. It seems there is a lot of possibilities in this synth, I would have loved to spend more time with the ipad. I also tried driving it from an external sequencer, and I can now tell that the GM2 sound set is pretty basic...

I also used the looper a lot. Crappy looper: 20 seconds is not enough for most chord progressions, no way to undo if you miss something while recording, could not find a way to reload a saved looper sequence for replay. however, my kids enjoyed it a lot ! They are not very old, 8 and 10, but the user interface is very intuitive, and they were quickly at ease with the keyboards and all its features.

Last but not least, I lost a drawbar knob...

In your opinion, how the VR09 compare purely as an organ clone versus the older generation clonewheels, the ones that would compare to it pricewise nowadays??

Nord Electro 2

Korg CX3

Hammond XK2

Sound, keys, everything...

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

I can't tell, i never owned any other clonewheel... (except for the old crumar 2003 that my father sold 20 years ago).

But i am pretty sure that other owners of the VR-09 on this forum can shed some light on this matter.

how did the VR09 compare purely as an organ clone versus the older generation clonewheels, the ones that would compare to it pricewise nowadays?

I have owned a Hammond XB2 and a Korg CX3 and I would have to say the organ sounds in the '09 are as good or better compared to them and the rotary effect is much better than either the XB2 or the CX3. The '09 for the money is the best buy out there if you need a multi-purpose board. And when you consider the price at $999 it is no contest. You can get better organ and better pianos and perhaps a better keyboard feel....but it is gonna cost you way more money.

In your opinion, how the VR09 compare purely as an organ clone versus the older generation clonewheels, the ones that would compare to it pricewise nowadays??

Nord Electro 2

Korg CX3

Hammond XK2

Sound, keys, everything...

ToB3, that's actually a really big question if you really want a detailed (ie "everything") kind of comparison! IF you are really asking "I have $999 to spend am I better off getting a used Electro2, CX3, XK2 or a new VR-09?" then here are my thoughts.

Right up front the Leslie Sim on the VR-09 is significantly better than any of the three clones you reference and this is a big plus for the sound of the VR-09. Soundwise, I would say that the VR-09 wins overall because of it's leslie sim. However, if you were to combine any of your referenced clones with a Ventilator, and it's a different story, and there wouldn't be quite so much difference in the sound of any of these clones.. the Ventilator is the great "equalizer" when it comes to clones.. but that wasn't your question..

All of the older clones that you referenced have waterfall keyboards.. and given the criticism that the VR-09 has received for it's keyboard I would think it's safe to say that all three of the older clones will have a better keyboard and better "feel", which would certainly make it more realistic to play and better for traditional Hammond techniques. If waterfall keys are important to you, then you might prefer one of the older clones.

The CX3 is the only one of the four that has two sets of real drawbars, so if you want to play keyboard splits and manipulate upper and lower drawbars in real time, the CX3 is the only one of the three that can do this.

The Korg CX3 actually has the most Hammond-like interface with dedicated buttons and knobs for C/V and Percussion.. This is a big plus for the CX3 IF you're looking for a more traditional layout. The other three have very useable interfaces but they're not particularly authentic and this creates problems, for example, if you want to change from 2nd to 3rd harmonic percussion.. on the VR-09 you have to dig into a menu to do this (although you can different organ settings saved as different registrations). The CX3 interface is pretty authentic.. the others are not (but they're all still useable).

The Electro2 has drawbuttons, which a lot of people don't like (I found it pretty easy to get used to them myself).

If you're a stickler for authentic Hammond sound.. The VR-09 has one fault and that is that the Percussion goes through the Chorus/Vibrato.. and that's not how a real Hammond works. So the Percussion is a bit off with C/V is on.

The VR-09 is a very good sounding clone.. better than the older batch of clones that you reference, but mostly due to the leslie sim (which really makes a big difference).. That said, a CX3 plus a Ventilator would probably sound as good or better than the VR-09, and it would have a much more authentic style of interface! But that would cost $400 more..

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.. hope this helps!!

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

The original part from roland has model number PSB-1U.

The VR-09 power supply outputs 9V DC at 2A (18W), connector is a standard barrel type with center pin negative.

Since there are many sizes of "standard" barrel type connectors: external diameter is 5.5mm, internal diameter 2.1mm, plug is 10mm long.

Kevmo,

If it's any help, I think that Roland uses a pretty standard power supply on all of it's keyboards (at least they do now).. I'm pretty sure that it's the same power supply as my GAIA, my PCR-900, and even my PK-5 pedals.

Most keyboard/music retailers will probably stock them.. and in a pinch you can pick up a multi-adapter, which is available at most Radio Shacks, or equivalent store (do Radio Shacks still exist in the States... they do up here in Canada but they're now called "the Source" or something like that).

What happened to your power supply.. did you lose it, break it or did it crap out some how.. ?

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

I didn't realize I left it at last gig which is a trip from home. Also it was a busy venu/ big stage so im not sure it can be found at this point.

Im sort of an idle brain after a gig in the afterglow of a great gig. :(

I'm having issues with velocity when midi connecting my VR to my yamaha np30 (with the np30 controlling the vr). I can't get full velocity out of the VR from the np30 keybed.. very noticeable with piano patches. Anyone else come across this?

Jay

www.soundcloud.com/high-diving-act

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Krome EX, Novation Summit, Roland RD88 & Edge, Spectrasonic Keyscape

Are the Expression and Sustain Outs of the VR-09 compatible with common stereo 1/4 cables, in case I use a Boss FV500-like pedal (that require an extra cable attached) instead of a common exp pedal with a built in cable like the EV5?

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

the expression pedal input on the VR-09 is a standard 1/4" TRS (tip-ring-sleeve or stereo) connector. thus, the connector is compatible with every expression pedal on the market, though the wiring of this connector is not compatible with every pedals.

there are 2 possible wiring for an expression pedal: the roland/kurzweil/maudio wiring and the yamaha/kawaii/korg wiring. the difference between the 2 wiring lies in the way the tip and ring of the connector is connected to the pot in the expression pedal. anyway, you can easily build an adapter cable (that's what i did: i use a yamaha fc-7 pedal with my vr-09), or modify the connector on the pedal, or buy an adapter cable. here is a great webpage regarding this issue:

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=322584

the damper pedal input on the VR-09 is a standard 1/4" TS (tip-sleeve or mono) connector. it is compatible with every damper pedal on the market. here again there are 2 ways of connecting the switch in the pedal, but the vr-09 seems smart enough to automatically adapt to any of the 2 wiring. always plug the damper pedal before powering on the keyboard.

Thanks for the answer...that leads to a somewhat OT question: will a TRS cable work normally on a TS connection? What about the opposite situation?

Thanks for the answer...that leads to a somewhat OT question: will a TRS cable work normally on a TS connection? What about the opposite situation?

a TRS cable should work without problem on a TS connection, in this case the ring and sleeve will be connected together inside the socket (the female connector).

BUT you shall NOT use a TS cable on a TRS connection ! although it might sometimes work, there is the possibility of creating a short-circuit which may damage your equipment.

anyway, when in doubt use the right cable. the type of connector (TRS or TS) is always documented somewhere in the manual.

Thanks... so, when in doubt, a TRS cable is more secure :)

So, back to the VR-09, no news from the OS update and those wishes that were discussed around here? Analysing from a technical point, would it really be possible to adress differente effects and stuff to a lower side of a split? What about if you moddify an existing sound with tone, compressor and stuff and save it on a registration, let's say, a clav with more dar tone... Would it lose all the changes if i use the saved sound as a lower sound of a registration?

Thanks... so, when in doubt, a TRS cable is more secure :)

you get it !

So, back to the VR-09, no news from the OS update and those wishes that were discussed around here?

not a single word from Roland about an update... (but personally, i don't care: i knew the shortcomings when i bought the board, i did not expect an update, any update will come as a pleasant surprise)

Analysing from a technical point, would it really be possible to adress differente effects and stuff to a lower side of a split? What about if you moddify an existing sound with tone, compressor and stuff and save it on a registration, let's say, a clav with more dar tone... Would it lose all the changes if i use the saved sound as a lower sound of a registration?

this will not work.

as i understand it from the midi implementation documentation, the VR-09 only has a single effect section, so there is no way of applying 2 times the same effect. this may be due to a limit of processing power in the DSP controlling the effects onboard, or may be an overlook from the designers at Roland... but there is only one global set of parameters for the effect section.

anyway, you cannot use a registration as a side of a split or as a layer: you have to use default sounds to create your split or layers, then only you apply effects or global settings (like leslie sim parameters), and you save the whole lot into a registration. it cannot work the other way around.

thanks for the answer... anyone had any experience playing "serious" LH bass whith organ/EP/clav etc on the RH? If so, what did you use regarding sounds, amplification, etc?

Have an opportunity to buy a VR09 from an online store in my country (Brazil), but cannot play it (as they are not available in my area) for a very good price.

I do not have all the money right now, but am expecting to receive a good amount untill the end of the year (but that's not 100% sure).

All in all, it's a great gamble, money wise and keyboard wise.

What do you say, go for it or wait till I get able to play one and evaluate it better? (but if I do that and decide to buy it later, i'm gonna have to pay a higher price)

Here in Brazil, the return polices are not as US, so I can't return in 30 days like you do, involves burocracy and stuff... So, I'm gonna have to be at least a little bit "sure" of what I'm doing.

The pros and cons of the board have been well discussed, so at least you shouldn't find too many surprises. But how you feel about the sound and the feel is nothing you can be certain of until you play one. Obviously, it's a gamble. What's the resale market like where you are? If you think you could easily find a buyer who would pay not too much less then you're paying for it, at least your downside is limited.

But also, the decision isn't being made in a vacuum, so to get people's opinions, it might help to know how the choice would play into the bigger picture. That is, what are you playing now? In what way is it disappointing, that you feel might be addressed by a VR-09? If you didn't get the VR-09, what other options would you be considering? There may be more consensus about how well a VR-09 fits your particular situation than there is about the board overall.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Now, I play blues/classic rock/funk/soul on a NOrd Electro 2. Use organ mainly, with EPs and Clavs to give some variation. But I feel frustrated to not being able to split the board and use organ at the same time with EPs and clavs. If buy a lower priced board to go along with the NE and serve as an EP/Clav or organ source, I would not get quality sounds and would be stuck on using two boards, ALWAYS, which is something I dont want.

If I sell my NE and put the Money I would invest on a VR09 together, I still would not be able to afford a Hammond SK1 or Nord Stage (even the Compact, original models used). If I buy the VR I can keep my NE and have a backup on either one. So, my idea is to use the VR09 alone as an organ/EP/Clav source for rehearsals and small gigs... and for bigger ones, to keep it as an organ clone purely and throw my nord along as an option, to give me EPs and Clavs. From what I heard, the organs on the VR09 are superior to the NOrd (I like the ones on the NOrd, tho).

All in all, it would be a viable and practical option. Just dont know if i will have the conection with the board. That's why I asked for your help :)

I really like my VR09, but only because I could not swing financing for a Nord Stage2. Ive only had a few minutes in the music store with Nord, but I think those sounds are superior to the Roland. My opinion is you might be disappointed in the VR09's EP's and especially the AC Pianos as a replacement for your Nord.

Our bassman had to bail on our last set this weekend, so I had to go heavy with the left hand. A Fantom X7 is below my VR09 on a two-tier X-stand...the Fantom's bass, while not quite as expressive, had WAY more oomph and kicked much harder than the VR09's. To be fair, I had the VR split so no effects were applied to the Combo's bass. Even though they are not the latest and greatest sounds, I much prefer the EP's and AC Pianos on the Fantom and I would dare to assume the same would be for your side-by-side comparison with the Nord. The Roland keybed is another compromise in my opinion.

I love having two boards for a gig and switch between them for most songs and in spite of my opinions above, still use VR EP's and Piano for some songs, usually layered with strings or pads when a particular killer lead or special effects samples are needed from the Fantom. In the mix, the VR sounds pretty good, where sometimes a few of the sounds might be a tad plain or even weak by itself.

A stacked Nord and VR setup would be killer and give you lots of flexibility. Good luck with your decision.

So, my idea is to use the VR09 alone as an organ/EP/Clav source for rehearsals and small gigs... and for bigger ones, to keep it as an organ clone purely and throw my nord along as an option, to give me EPs and Clavs. From what I heard, the organs on the VR09 are superior to the NOrd (I like the ones on the NOrd, tho).

Slightly off-topic, but if you like the Nord organs, wouldn't you prefer to keep the Nord and add a DP instead? Choose wisely and you could get stronger AP and EP voices than the VR09 (and - if you're interested - stronger AP voices than either the E2 or VR09). You also get a hammer action to complement the organ action in the Electro. Casio PX5 is the obvious choice, at the same price point as the VR09.

Cheers, Mike.

Well, To B3, if your goal is to have a single board with drawbar organ, EP, and clav sounds that you can split, for less than the price of an SK1, clearly the VR-09 can do that, and there aren't many alternatives. There's the Casio XW-P1, but I think everyone would agree that, for the sounds you want, the VR would be stronger. If you could find a used Kurzweil PC361, I think that would be a better choice, but it may be scarce where you are (plus its 14 kg instead of 5.5). If you can't find the Kurz, I can't think of a better self-contained affordable option than the VR.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)