Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VR-09 Hints and Tips

WesG, I don't think 1.03 fixed this.... :(

When you write data to USB, registration data is stored in files named VR09_xxx.UPG and the "deep synth edit" data is stored in a file named VRSYN001.DAT. The xxx in the UPG filename corresponds to the registration set number in the index.

The .DAT naming scheme has the unbelievable side-effect of making it impossible to store deep synth edits for two different registration sets on the same USB key. At least on pre-1.03. Maybe they fixed that, too. That would be a God-send.

Wes

Numa C2x, Reface YC, XK-3c, Mainstage/ReMOTE61SL, VR-09, X-50, JunoDS61, Montage 8, Karma, V-Synth, JD800, Jv80, XV-88, D-50's, TX-816, T8, Tempest, OB-6, DeepMind12, Prophet-X, SLEDGE, TS-10, MR-Rack, s70xs, B3/Leslie, Wurly, Piano, Mini-Korg, CS-2x, JP-8080, RA-50?

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

This update is great news. With the "dealbreakers" fixed, I can now consider buying this keyboard, and in fact I probably will the minute I return to band gigging (maybe in a couple months). Already have the RD64.

I definitely see a lot of appeal in the VR-09, but I think it would be tough for me to switch if I already owned an SK1, as you do!

Can't do an 80's gig, for instance, with the SK1.

Numa C2x, Reface YC, XK-3c, Mainstage/ReMOTE61SL, VR-09, X-50, JunoDS61, Montage 8, Karma, V-Synth, JD800, Jv80, XV-88, D-50's, TX-816, T8, Tempest, OB-6, DeepMind12, Prophet-X, SLEDGE, TS-10, MR-Rack, s70xs, B3/Leslie, Wurly, Piano, Mini-Korg, CS-2x, JP-8080, RA-50?

• 1 year later...
Hi, everyone. I've recently acquired a VR-09 second hand. Is there ANY WAY of getting the editor to work on a PC/tablet/anything other than an iPad? The organs are great (I'm in a ska band so use the "transistor" org mode a lot), but the brass are an absolute shocker for a relatively modern keyboard. My 21 year old Korg X5 has better brass sounds! :) My other stage board is a Korg Kross which does all other duties, but surely there's an alternative route to getting a wider choice of sounds in the VR?

That's funny, I thought the brass was actually quite good in the VR09! I guess it depends what you want out of the brass.

The easiest way to get the iPad editor working is to borrow an iPad.

It's plausible that you could get it working in one of the emulators. If that's the case, you will almost certainly need to get the WiFi running. But I bet it will be a giant waste of time.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

• 4 years later...
OV at the Roland forum checked product support for me.

Here was their response:

Yes, the FP-50/80 music rack works on the VR-09. Part number is 5100030959 and the price is $59.20. This can be ordered directly from Customer Support at 323-890-3700.

I ordered 5100030959 from Roland directly and it was just the clear plastic sheet with no way to attach it to the keyboard. Is there a different product number for a VR-09 Music Rest?

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy folks!

New member here and I recently picked up a VR-09b demo model for a steal - what a blast to play! I also have a 1959 Hammond M3 with Leslie 44w so it's easy to compare sound differences. Like any clonewheel, some tones are spot on and others require some EQ to get them close.

In reply to Grumster, I actually do have an iPad but don't have the Apple USB adapter, we're in the same boat. A quick Google search was able to locate an alternative option if you have a PC or Mac - Ctrlr (https://ctrlr.org/).

Ctrlr is a customizable control panel interface for a ton of different keyboards and used to simplify stage setup changes during a gig. There are 2 custom editor panels for the VR-09 - 1 for editing Organs and other Patches and 1 exclusively for Synth presets. The author provides both an installable version and a standalone executable. The standalone executables are unsigned but work without issue. Connect the keyboard to your computer via USB and party like a Rock Star!

Info pages:

https://ctrlr.org/roland-vr09-vr730-v-combo-editor/

https://ctrlr.org/roland-vr09-vr730-v-combo-synth/

Besides having some really cool tweaks, it includes many settings and sounds just not possible with the keyboard menu selections.

Extra points - when adjusting Leslie rotation speed and ramp times, it will provide a calculated RPM and Time duration! Super sweet to mirror settings based on your favorite Leslie model since Roland uses a 0-127 scale.

Here are my settings attempting to simulate a Leslie 147 using the middle belt pulley. To my ears, it sounds much more realistic and better than the stock settings.

⢠Leslie: Type 3

⢠Tweeter Slow: 10

⢠Tweeter Fast: 86

⢠Tweeter Rise: 75

⢠Tweeter Fall: 78

⢠Woofer Slow: 9

⢠Woofer Fast: 73

⢠Woofer Rise: 45

⢠Woofer Fall: 23

• 3 months later...
On 10/31/2021 at 9:24 PM, OrganDude said:

https://ctrlr.org/roland-vr09-vr730-v-combo-editor/

https://ctrlr.org/roland-vr09-vr730-v-combo-synth/

ctrlr.org actually is at a still stand. The new editor release is downloadable from here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_CJVGF0tACCxr1m0Y5yw7YLWEg1bvMF0?usp=sharing

(for more details visit VR09 main thread "Roland V-Combo VR-09")