Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

extra small mixer for stage volume control

octa

I'm looking for an active stereo in/stereo out knob. Setup is Nord Stage 2/Radial JDI Duplex/2 QSC K12's. I'd like something small enough to fit on top right panel of Nord preferably. Anyone know of options? Here is a list of possibilities I've found so far:

ART USB Mix

Rolls MX54S

Presonus Bluetube DP

ATI MXS100

SM Pro Audio DI4V

-----

I have an Ashly LX308B & may end up using that but am currently looking for smaller options in the interest of keeping my rig and setup time as compact as possible. In the recent past I've been putting the K12's in "mic" mode & that provides plenty of stage volume but I like the sound/tone better not in "mic" mode and feel a mixer or 2 channel preamp may sound better.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thanks for idea. I got excited for a minute but am afraid it's passive, not active. If I liked the sound of K12's in "mic" mode this would be perfect solution. If anyone is looking for a passive stereo knob in the future the A Designs atty is a good option, similar to this TC Elec Level Pilot.

One thing you might consider is a stereo volume pedal:

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=697

Or, a behringer. I've wound up with a few cheap little behringer mixers, and have been mostly happy with them. They're not the highest quality things in the world, but I've never really noticed any significant noise from them. I wouldn't record with one, but I've used them quite a bit in bar bands to submix keys, or for exactly what you're wanting one for.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-Xenyx-502-Mixer-103846200-i1153498.gc

Favorite Gear:Vintage Vibe 73 w/MIDI, Microkorg, ipad2 with lotsa apps, VB3, Rhodes 88, Roland VK8, Fantom XR, Brainspawn Forte

thanks. The behringer moves into contention. The Samson looks solid, but doesn't have stereo outs. I've tried the MX28 but it was the blue model & was pretty noisy, unbalanced. am wondering if the Rolls models sound more solid with XLR or TRS ins/outs.

Mackie 402-VLZ3? There was some reason I liked it better than the Behringer (brand names aside)... as I recall, one of the issues was that the Behringer had a funky proprietary wall wart connection, which I read was prone to damage/failure and expensive/difficult to replace.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

thanks for suggestions. I went with Mackie 402-VLZ3 mostly because I had a Mackie Onyx for awhile that was pretty solid, hopefully this lower line of Mackie will be sufficient. Sweetwater also has a Mackie special running so that factored in. Took a serious look at the Overstayer & want one pretty badly, maybe $omeday. Perhaps my MX28 was defective or incompatible with my setup but I read a review where someone else had the same "unshielded" hum & said their ART Powermix III had same issue. I'm still looking for a small & simple stereo single knob setup, maybe I can have someone build one sometime.

I have a Behringer mixer, model Xenyx 802, which has 8 channels...dimensions are 8.5" x 7" x 1.5". It rests nicely on the left hand side of my PX3 and I run a mic, keys, and a Samsung Tab 2 for my backing tracks thru it with no problems. I found it Ebay for $49 brand new, no tax or shipping. It might be a little bigger than you need but it's always nice to have the extra inputs. Check it out: http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/802.aspx

I second the Behringer 802. It may not be the most high fi mixer out there, but it's cheap and, despite the stereotypes about Behringer quality, mine was abused relentlessly for years and it's sill alive in the deep recesses of my closet.

I also would recommend considering a used Alesis Multimix 6 or 8 USB which can be had for $50 - $100 if you watch CL and Ebay. The original Multimix 8, which I have and still use, has a small footprint for its number of inputs/ outputs and has passable onboard 24 bit effects that could be used in a pinch. IMHO the Alesis Multimixes, like the small Behringers, are cost-effective decent choices for live sound mixing (even though the USB 1.1 stereo interface on my Multimix emits alien-sounding obnoxious noises when connected to a computer).

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

These are good stereo mixers. Assorted pastel colors too.

http://foodfamilyfinds.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/kitchenaid-mixer-colors.jpg

You lie!!! Those mixers are mono!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Another +1 for the Behringer. I have the 502 3-channel mixer linked above by hoggernick, and it's been quite the road warrior for me. As a manufacturer, Behringer doesn't do much right, but I've been nothing but happy with that mixer. The only thing that's ever been wrong with it is that the power cable shit the bed a couple years ago, and the cost of a replacement power adapter is nearly as much as the cost of the whole shebang. So instead of buying a new power adapter, I just bought a new mixer, and now I have a back-up.

Another +1 for the Behringer. I have the 502 3-channel mixer linked above by hoggernick, and it's been quite the road warrior for me. As a manufacturer, Behringer doesn't do much right, but I've been nothing but happy with that mixer. The only thing that's ever been wrong with it is that the power cable shit the bed a couple years ago, and the cost of a replacement power adapter is nearly as much as the cost of the whole shebang.

Yup, that's the reason I suggested not getting it above. The adapters break, and are not cost-effective to replace. If you build the cost of one replacement into your purchase, you might as well just get a more reliable setup to begin with and have less worry about it breaking at a gig. And if/when your second one breaks, and you get a third, you'll have paid more than what it would have cost to get something more reliable, as the Mackie the OP settled on seems to be.

That aside, the Behinrger has a potential advantage over the Mackie... in addition to CD/tape, the Behringer has 2 stereo inputs and one mono, while the Mackie has 1 stereo input and 2 mono (alternately configurable as two stereo and 0 mono). So you have to make sure the Mackie has enough inputs for you if you need stereo. Also, the Behringer seems more flexible in how you can route the CD/tape. In other respects, the Mackie has some other advantages besides avoiding the known power adapter issue. It has EQ on two inputs instead of one, it has a second mic input (and phantom power), it has high pass filters on the mic inputs, it has instrument preamps that let you plug in a guitar/bass, it has more accurate metering (more steps).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Another +1 for Behringer:

I've been using the Behringer XENYX 1202FX for about 2 years now, and absolutely no issues.

At $109 it's a bargain.

Only drawback is the FREAKING OBNOXIOUSLY BRIGHT BLUE POWER LIGHT. A little piece of black electrical tape fixed that.

Best of luck.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Another +1 for the Behringer. I have the 502 3-channel mixer linked above by hoggernick, and it's been quite the road warrior for me. As a manufacturer, Behringer doesn't do much right, but I've been nothing but happy with that mixer. The only thing that's ever been wrong with it is that the power cable shit the bed a couple years ago, and the cost of a replacement power adapter is nearly as much as the cost of the whole shebang.

Yup, that's the reason I suggested not getting it above. The adapters break, and are not cost-effective to replace. If you build the cost of one replacement into your purchase, you might as well just get a more reliable setup to begin with and have less worry about it breaking at a gig. And if/when your second one breaks, and you get a third, you'll have paid more than what it would have cost to get something more reliable, as the Mackie the OP settled on seems to be.

Well, I don't know about anyone else's experience, but I've been using that mixer for probably 7-8 years and literally thousands of gigs, and only had to replace the adapter that one time. If this were a $500 mixer, that would be one thing, but this thing only costs like $40-$45, so honestly I don't care about replacing it if the need arises.

so much Behringer love. For $45 maybe I'll get one of those too & use the least preferred for backup.

Oh yes. Did that very thing (mine's a 4 XLR input Behringer). My little cheap backup has lasted over ten years - and seen plenty of use by me and others.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Another Rolls you may want is the MX28. You can run that straight into either 1/4" in.

+1 - FWIW, i use this and haven't had any troubles.

+2 - sets on my bottom board and has been working great for years

Nord Lead A1, Nord Electro 5d, Yamaha S70xs, QSC K10s

Archived