Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new epiano Ipad App!

sakari lindhen

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks pretty cool! CP70 and RMI are available (might be extra $). I'll get it tonight.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

I'm installing it now. Looks like polyphony is up to 48 (on the latest devices). I have a 3rd gen so it should work fairly well.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Wow... Will have to download it tonight...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

The rhodes samples are two velocity, with one pretty low so normal playing you're just hitting one velocity. Feels dead to me. The samples aren't bad--not great either. The sample gets stretched over three-four notes. The Wurly is a little better. Clav is pretty good (two velocities). Hit's me about the same as the GB clav, though I know it's modeling vs. samples. The CP-70 is a single sample layer. I don't know, this stuff hits as entry level ROMpler quality, maybe. When you think that something like the Nord EPs are 8, 9 and 10 velocity layers, this stuff just feels dead.

Had a lot of crashes at first. Finally got it to work using iRigMIDI and going through traditional MIDI vs. USB. But it doesn't inspire confidence. Their piano app crashed a lot for me as well.

Polyphony seems fine on my iPad2.

Busch.

Buzz-Kill....

Thanks for saving me $20...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Maybe others will have a different opinion. I didn't find their acoustic piano app to my liking either, though I think this is a better library just from the variety of keyboards available. Some are more effective than others in this environment. And, keyboards can be covered in FXs which definitely helps. Polyphony is good even in ultra low latency mode.

Maybe my expectations are too high. I look at things like the Kronos which is running on an Atom and some of the Windows 8 tables on Atoms, all of these roughly the equivalent to an iPad 4 in power, and I can get SO much more out of these in terms of pro sounds than my iPad. Why are the iPads so underpowered? I just don't get it.

Busch.

I look at things like the Kronos which is running on an Atom and some of the Windows 8 tables on Atoms, all of these roughly the equivalent to an iPad 4 in power, and I can get SO much more out of these in terms of pro sounds than my iPad. Why are the iPads so underpowered? I just don't get it.

I don't know how the Atom compares to the A6, but one difference is that the iPad 4 has just 1 gB of RAM, a good chunk of which is dedicated to running the retina display.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I believe also the iPad runs in a kind of wrapper because of iOS... compared with say the Kronos which is running more efficiently as its able to run lower level (i.e. closer to the hardware)... maybe someone who knows more than I do about iOS can say more on this.

But are music apps on the Atom netbooks (with Windows) much better than they were a few years back? I recall even running a few tracks of Ableton Live was haphazard.

Btw. I just started using Xcode/Objective C and coming from Java (though having experience of C and C++ decades ago) the language is bloody horrible (e.g. the syntax for method calls) and archaic (no packages!)... a complete mess.. some of the ideas are great though... kudos to anyone who can make apps in that! :D

Update on the Suitcase rhodes it's actually three velocities with the weirdest mapping I've ever come across. The lowest is MIDI vel 40 (which is very low), then it stays the same till you hit 127. I missed that layer at 127 because I didn't smash it hard enough. The wurly comes off better as the lowest velocity is good until 71 which is in the normal playing range, then a mid-range sample up to the 127 again.

So the Suitcase Rhodes is three layers but comes off as one on a weighted keyboard under normal playing. The Wurly feels a little better. It would help if that 127 layer was more accessible, maybe 120. The Dyno Rhodes is two velocities witha split at 93. The Stage EP appears to be two velocity xfade. The Wurly Suitcase is three velocities with breaks at 40 and 93.

Busch.

But are music apps on the Atom netbooks (with Windows) much better than they were a few years back? I recall even running a few tracks of Ableton Live was haphazard.

You're probably right in terms of efficient use of the power available. I was more referring to what I could run on a Windows 8 Atom tablet, like VB3, Key Performer, Mr Ray 73, Combo Model F/V, probably TruePianos and likely Kontakt 3 or similar to get streaming of samples (and if you're talking streaming you're talking Scarbee and the like). While you're not going to run Diva or Omnisphere on them, there are tons of CPU efficient soft synths from which to choose. I won't deny there are some great synths available on the iPad. Some very cool stuff. But in terms of bread and butter sounds and basic sampling capabilities, I think the iPad comes up short.

Busch.

Listening to the demo of iLectrik I am not that impressed. The lack of dynamics is telling...

Same problem with the iGrand but I kinda like the character of some of those pianos... with the iLectrik I just don't like the character.. very bell pronounced and nothing like the set up on my Rhodes MkII.

You're probably right in terms of efficient use of the power available. I was more referring to what I could run on a Windows 8 Atom tablet, like VB3, Key Performer, Mr Ray 73, Combo Model F/V, probably TruePianos and likely Kontakt 3 or similar to get streaming of samples (and if you're talking streaming you're talking Scarbee and the like). While you're not going to run Diva or Omnisphere on them, there are tons of CPU efficient soft synths from which to choose. I won't deny there are some great synths available on the iPad. Some very cool stuff. But in terms of bread and butter sounds and basic sampling capabilities, I think the iPad comes up short.

Busch.

I agree.. there needs to be a nicer sampling app available. Only one I use is SampleWiz but that is more like the V-Synth. Would love to sample a lot of my vintage stuff and take the iPad out live.

But in terms of bread and butter sounds and basic sampling capabilities, I think the iPad comes up short.

Have you tried BS-16i for playing soundfonts?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Neo Soul Keys has made it to the iPad! Got an email last night!

Neo Soul Keys

Pretty impressive!

I love Jamal's demos too - he loves the music, loves the sounds, and comes across as a really honest, likeable guy!

Free trial is great too!

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

This is a completely new app, not a garageband plug-in like his earlier attempt. Check the videos at the link, looks good.

Yeah Jamal seems to be a bit more honest this time. The Garageband version was a total fiasco and should never have been sold.... I won't be buying this though... once burnt and all that...

For me it seems the only real solution will come in a modelled app.. the sampled approach just seems to CPU intensive for the iOS.

Btw. I just started using Xcode/Objective C and coming from Java (though having experience of C and C++ decades ago) the language is bloody horrible (e.g. the syntax for method calls) and archaic (no packages!)... a complete mess.. some of the ideas are great though... kudos to anyone who can make apps in that! :D
I feel exactly the opposite. The only thing I hated more in the "real code" world (leaving web stuff out) than Java was C++. I really like Objective C. That said, I'm probably not nearly as advanced of a programmer as you are. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Apple REALLY needs to implement a try/demo option for iOS apps. Android and Microsoft have it.

That would be nice, but there is a perfectly good workaround of a free limited version and a paid full version (either separate or as an in-app purchase). Unfortunately, not all developers approach it that way, but that's not Apple's fault.

Yeah Jamal seems to be a bit more honest this time. The Garageband version was a total fiasco and should never have been sold.... I won't be buying this though... once burnt and all that...

Case in point... he will have a free version you can try first.

I feel exactly the opposite. The only thing I hated more in the "real code" world (leaving web stuff out) than Java was C++. I really like Objective C. That said, I'm probably not nearly as advanced of a programmer as you are. :)

I think there are some nice things about Objective C from a pure language point of view but the need for all that ugly extra syntax to attain backwards compatibility with C++ and C has made the language kinda messy in my eye. Probably something I will get used to... :D

Archived