Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

That could work, however I'm somewhat partial to 88 keys for other projects I do. I guess I could keep my px330 and use it solely for AP and use the Nord as my top board...I was also looking at selling my px330 to help pay for my new board(whatever it is I get) =( oh how I wish money wasn't a factor!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you need 88 keys and low weight I guess the SK1 88 would be perfect... but it's not $1000...

oh how I wish money wasn't a factor!
Don't we all..? :wave:

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

I would take a look at a used RD300GX rather than a RD 700.

There are so many things I like about the 300GX and one of them is the weight. The other is that it has a decent Rhodes sound and of course the Superior Grand acoustic sample is still the choice of a few of us on the forum.

I am one of those who prefer the older Roland samples to the newer Supernatural stuff.

For me, the sound I like is somewhere between Yamaha CP-33 and Roland RD 300GX.The Roland is more versatile but the CP-33 has clarity that I really like. And both of those pianos originated in the the middle part of the last decade.

For some reason I am not hearing huge improvements in the piano samples of instruments released in this decade.

Others may disagree.

I would take a look at a used RD300GX rather than a RD 700.

There are so many things I like about the 300GX and one of them is the weight.

The PX-5S is still noticeably lighter, and I think the newest Casio action is quite a bit better than the 300GX action besides (something I wouldn't say when comparing it to a 700). And with more zones/knobs/sliders, the Casio is also a more capable MIDI controller than the 300 as well. Which has the better piano and EP sounds is still a bit of an open question, though.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The 300 GX action is really good. My favorite Roland action, hands down.

I also prefer smooth keys to textured ones.

I wasn't exactly comparing it to the Casio in the above post, though the PX 350 didn't want to make me give up the 300 GX by a long shot.

I prefer the Casio action and I am along time Roland FP4 owner... so long that they had to replace the action in it. This new action seems stiffer and more sluggish than the original.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

I prefer the Casio action and I am along time Roland FP4 owner... so long that they had to replace the action in it. This new action seems stiffer and more sluggish than the original.
The new action on the Casio or the FP4 feels stiffer?
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

The new action on the Casio or the FP4 feels stiffer?

Talking about using the Roland for so long that it wore out and was replaced with something stiffer and more sluggish than the original, an unfortunate circumstance.

Thats a drag, and the reason I dumped my FP3, which I liked. The action simply went south. A friend of mine has the FP3, the action went south, but he took it apart, replaced felt and did whatever. I went to his gig and sat in not long ago. It was the best action DP Ive ever played. Ever.

Im still on the fence about the Casio's. If I did go for a 5, I would wait until the 2nd batch is released, just to make sure any teething problems are rectified.

My RD300GX action doesn't feel stiff.

As far as the Casio goes ( PX -350) I don't remember loving it or hating it, but the textured keys would require some getting used to .

But I can see why a lot of people would be attracted to the weight. The AP sound wasn't my cup of tea. There was a CP-33 in the room when I demoed it and I found myself preferring that sound. And the Roland Superior Grand is a toss up compared to the CP-33 for me. The Roland can get a bit warmer, particularly with easily accessible EQ ing.

I will wait and see with what can be done with the EQing and editing on the PX-5S before making a final evaluation, but I have been pretty happy with the 300GX. It's a board that I appreciate more and more as I hear more of the newer offerings.

Just ordered one... should be in this week.

This will be my first "serious" board since

getting my Roland FA-76 about 10 years ago!

I actually like the looks of this board

and I purchased the Roland keyboard amp

that can also be run on batteries!

Will report back later!

One interesting point about Casio's product offering. The have the same keybed in all of their products.

The other manufacturers have cheaper keybeds in their cheaper products (a sore source of discussion on many forums). !

I experienced this first hand yesterday..

Tried a Motif X8, then a MOX8 then an MM88.

All 88 key, weighted boards.....

Motif was nice, MOX* just "meh".. the MM88

-I don't even want to talk about it - it

was that bad!

I have a PX-5S on order; hope to receive it next week.
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Kraft Music had some yesterday,

I ordered one - my order confirm shows

it in stock.... Now website shows sold out.. I hope mine got

put aside!!!! Saying no more until May 10!!!!!

MusiciansFriend.com shows some in stock

FullCompass.com shows in stock

On the Kraft free goodies... the pedal is very cheap and needed adhesive-backed felt to stop sticking at the top and knocking at the bottom (a trivial fix, and it's now better although still not as nice as my old M-Gear one, which was itself a cheapie). And the free Audio-Technica phones were awful; I sold them locally the next day and it was the nudge I needed to order the Sennheiser 598 (very nice!).

Some of the other package deals with gig bags and such look better, though I didn't need anything like that...

Otherwise, dealing with Kraft was awesome and quick, with a friendly reply when I had a question - no complaints! Free shipping, too.

-Steve

On the Kraft free goodies... the pedal is very cheap and needed adhesive-backed felt to stop sticking at the top and knocking at the bottom (a trivial fix, and it's now better although still not as nice as my old M-Gear one, which was itself a cheapie). And the free Audio-Technica phones were awful; I sold them locally the next day and it was the nudge I needed to order the Sennheiser 598 (very nice!).

Some of the other package deals with gig bags and such look better, though I didn't need anything like that...

Otherwise, dealing with Kraft was awesome and quick, with a friendly reply when I had a question - no complaints! Free shipping, too.

-Steve

I took the deal with the free Gator gig bag. Although the gig bag was backordered and I won't get it for another month, the PX-5S shipped out the same day and I'll have it on Tuesday.

Casio PX-5S...StudioLogic VMK 161 Organ Plus...

MF shows not in stock. There is one listed on eBay.

Casio PX-5S...StudioLogic VMK 161 Organ Plus...

MF shows not in stock. There is one listed on eBay.

They are going fast! FullCompass still shows in-stock - hurry - he who hesitates.... :cry:

Here is the latest info from Tokyo.

The PX-5S Editor will be released this week. The v1.10 firmware update will be delayed until after "Golden Week" (Holiday Season in Japan when a lot of companies close April 27-May6). The beta I'm using seems very solid but they want to do a little more testing and are tweaking the Polyphonic Portamento a little more.

Our first downloadable preset banks will be released around the same time as v1.10.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Archived