Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland V-Combo VR-09

whitenoise

Has anyone tried using the iPad editor on their VR-09, and if so is anyone having trouble with it? Mine only seems to communicate one way, from the VR-09 to the iPad, so changes on the VR-09 are reflected in real time on the editor screen but changes on the editor screen do not affect the sound of the VR-09. I'm meeting with my Roland rep this afternoon to see if we can figure out what's wrong and I thought I'd post this question here before I meet with him. If I'm the only one experiencing this, I could have a bad camera/usb adapter or something like that.

Let me know thanks.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

SB, you're asking me to compare the two instruments in ways that I don't use them... So I really can't answer this.. however, the CX3 engine in the Kronos is much more tweakable and because it has seperate audio inputs and outputs, IF you were to utilize a Ventilator with the Kronos you can send the raw organ out to on a separate output to the Ventilator and route it back into the Kronos and then to the main outs.. So there is no need for a separate mixer to mix the regular Kronos sounds with the output of the Ventialtor. With respect to organ, some might think that the Kronos CX3 tweakability and audio ins/outs give it a bit of an advantage.

hey have you tried the organimation from k-sounds. how does their rotary compare to the vr09. they claim its very upgraded from the default kronos rotary. heres a link you can hear them. intrested to hear what you think

SB, I don't think they claim that it's an updated rotary sim they just claim "extra thick Rotary Speaker effects".. the rotary speaker effect is hardcoded into the Kronos OS, so they're not going to be able to update that! They might be able to make it sound thicker based on EQ'ing it slightly, or give it more stereo animation using other Kronos effects, but it's not an updated leslie sim.

I've listed to these demos before and I'm not particularly impressed. Some of the sounds are OK but some of them, like the Rock Organs are laughable (just my opinon). I would definately NOT pay $40 for these sounds.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

hey have you tried the organimation from k-sounds. how does their rotary compare to the vr09. they claim its very upgraded from the default kronos rotary. heres a link you can hear them. intrested to hear what you think

SB, I don't think they claim that it's an updated rotary sim they just claim "extra thick Rotary Speaker effects".. the rotary speaker effect is hardcoded into the Kronos OS, so they're not going to be able to update that! They might be able to make it sound thicker based on EQ'ing it slightly, or give it more stereo animation using other Kronos effects, but it's not an updated leslie sim.

I've listed to these demos before and I'm not particularly impressed. Some of the sounds are OK but some of them, like the Rock Organs are laughable (just my opinon). I would definately NOT pay $40 for these sounds.

I agree...K-Sounds has a lot of decent products, but your don't need Organimation for the Kronos.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Roland Fantom-06, 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Has anyone tried using the iPad editor on their VR-09, and if so is anyone having trouble with it? Mine only seems to communicate one way, from the VR-09 to the iPad, so changes on the VR-09 are reflected in real time on the editor screen but changes on the editor screen do not affect the sound of the VR-09. I'm meeting with my Roland rep this afternoon to see if we can figure out what's wrong and I thought I'd post this question here before I meet with him. If I'm the only one experiencing this, I could have a bad camera/usb adapter or something like that.

Let me know thanks.

Did you get a real Apple camera kit? The third party ones don't always work right especially with the new iOS updates. I've only done a little bit with the iPad and most things seem to go both ways except when switching to the transistor org on the iPad...often causing the VR to glitch out with no sound. Moving the drawbars does nothing either, but hitting a registration button seems to reset the VR and everything works again. Maybe I have a setting wrong or am activating the pedal part or something...

I fully expect Roland's website to have a downloadable update soon. They'd have much happier customers and more sales to be sure.

Hope the meeting is productive.

i dont have a vr09 but i have the roland bk5 which is very similiar as its production is about the same year as far as technology. i can confirm two things though from this keyboard about the vr09.

1) the update is extremely easy, just downloading update file from website, puting on formatted usb, and pressing a key comboniation on the keyboard, and after around 20 minutes its done.

2) its very important to have an origional camera connector kit to connect with the ipad, as the fake ones, even though their good for pictures with cameras, dont usually transmit data on a steady smooth basis and almost never work for ipad midi info.

also roland has a wireless usb stick, which should allow to connect to the ipad wirelessly. its called the NETGEAR WNA 1100RL. its sold for around 50$ online.

however i read online that you can just buy the NETGEAR WNA1100 without the RL at the end of the name, and it works the same! and it costs 15$. they say the only difference is that the one distributed from roland, has the wireless firmware update for older keyboards that at their release date still didnt have wireless functionality instealled, already pre-installed on the usb. which those updates can be downloaded for free anyways from roland.

Sb

My problem with the iPad editor is resolved.. the problem was in the default midi settings.. My VR-09 was set to Mode 1 which directs midi in data to the GM engine, whereas it needed to be set to mode 2 so that the other VR engines received the data from the editor. So all is well with me now..

The other issues that I've mentioned have been passed on to engineering. No news regarding the timing of an update..

Craig MacDonald

No news regarding the timing of an update..

http://www.mentalfloss.com/sites/default/legacy/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/425AirportFlyingPigs.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

btw for my roland bk5, theyve already given us two system updates since taking care of different issues.

Good to know! I hope the VR-09 owners get their issues addressed as well.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The VR-09 came yesterday, and I've been hard at it since. Overall, it's pretty damn easy to get to know/use. I think the organ tones are terrific (and I'm an SK1 owner), as is the rotary sim and its full range of speed control. Rotary doesn't have the mic angle/distance adjustment, but the Roland folk gave the sim a pretty nice compromised effect. The piano and synth voices are really well done. Did not come with its sound data list (good thing I found it on-line). Wish it had more sample organ patches that could be tailored or used right out of the box. The chorus offerings sound really sweet.

It is sooo light weight, lighter than my SK1, but has a nice fit & finished, professional look to it; one needn't be embarrassed to have it in view on stage.

The dual (layering) sound function works well and the resulting sounds are really fun to explore and unique.

Don't know how they combined the typical 4-dial EQ bank (gain, freq, bass and treble) into a single Tone dial, but I found it easy to figure out and use. I also like the Delay and MultiFXs dials so handy for tweeking.

Two downsides in my book are:

(1) the really poor response of either the Roland EV5 or FV500L when used as one-plug-in volume pedals. These pedals don't have enough throw to allow for good foot control of volume; they produce volumes tha are mostly too soft or too loud. I contacted Roland to ask if there was a workaround on this, but they claimed the unit was tested on both pedals and that's the way it is. (I had the same issue with the VR760 8 years ago; I was able to overcome it by buying the Roland EV7. But the EV7 didn't last very long (pretty shoddy build) and at $200+, I'm not gonna buy another. Roland clearly knows that these pedals don't offer enough throw to give good volume control, but continues to offer only these poor pedals for its clones). I'll have to use the FV500L as an in-line stereo volume pedal---for whatever reason, the pedal gives good control when set up with the extra cabling this in-line way.)

2) When moving between sound program registrations, any transposing of key is lost (switch to a different saved tailored registration during a song, and the key reverts back to standard C). For those who can play in any key and/or don't transpose when playing, this isn't a big deal. I do a lot of transposing, so it is limiting.

Overall, at this point, I'm keeping it and likely will play with it at a gig tomorrow night. It's not the last word in tonewheel organ-sim'ed keyboards, but so far, it sounds very good and seems gig-worthy to me.

KB: Hammond SK1

Bass KB: Yamaha MX49

KB Amps: CPS SS3, linked to TurboSound IP300

Bass KB amp: Fender Rumble 500 combo

www.mikemickxer.com

www.reverbnation.com/mikemickxer

(1) the really poor response of either the Roland EV5 or FV500L when used as one-plug-in volume pedals. These pedals don't have enough throw to allow for good foot control of volume; they produce volumes tha are mostly too soft or too loud. I contacted Roland to ask if there was a workaround on this, but they claimed the unit was tested on both pedals and that's the way it is. (I had the same issue with the VR760 8 years ago; I was able to overcome it by buying the Roland EV7. But the EV7 didn't last very long (pretty shoddy build) and at $200+, I'm not gonna buy another. Roland clearly knows that these pedals don't offer enough throw to give good volume control, but continues to offer only these poor pedals for its clones). I'll have to use the FV500L as an in-line stereo volume pedal---for whatever reason, the pedal gives good control when set up with the extra cabling this in-line way.)

Good to know because I have that issue with the EV-5. I was contemplating getting the EV-7 but at $229 I would be highly miffed if it didn't work!

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Mike, thanks for the quick review. I was pleasantly surprised by how good the organ is as well, and I agree with your other comments as well.. surprisingly great sound out of this board. Fit and finish is also good as far as I am concerned, despite some suggestion that it's cheap.. I don't agree. I have both Roland EV5 and FV500L and I've only tried the FV500L and I notice the same problem but this isn't just the case with the VR-09 I find the same thing when I use them on my Kronos as well.. don't think I'd buy another Roland expression pedal next time.

Yes the tone control is unique.. it strikes me as more of a notch filter than an EQ.. with selecting organ turning it to the right emphasizes the bass, and turning it to the left de-emphasizes the bass and emphasizes the mids.. (which is where I like it best).. it's weird but strangely effective.

Don't use the transpose at all, although I expect I might sometime, so I could see this would be a problem.

I'm in total agreement with you it's a VERY gig-worthy keyboard to me.

One question for you.. there is some debate regarding the keyboard.. I don't see any problem with it but a couple of posters think it's really awful. What are your thoughts on the keyboard.. ?

Craig MacDonald

Good to know because I have that issue with the EV-5. I was contemplating getting the EV-7 but at $229 I would be highly miffed if it didn't work!
Buy a Yamaha FC7 ($38) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FC7-Volume-Pedal-/190836634584?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c6ebff3d8

with the Ashby adapter ($20) http://music.ashbysolutions.com/misc.htm

and you'll be good to go. It has that nice smooth, long throw you are looking for.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

hey craig, do you think you could ask your roland rep if the organ sounds on the vr09 are the same as on the upcoming bk9? especially im intresting in hearing about the quality of the leslie sim and drawbars if their the same story. thnks

Now I wonder what expression pedal I should get? I tried the expression pedal from my Hammond XK-1 and it doesn´t work.

And I´m still very happy with this lil board. It gives me instant inspiration to play.

Hammond L100 P, Hammond XK-1, Ventilator ,Kurzweil PC3-61

Yamaha Digital Piano, M-Audio Oxygen, Roland VR-09,

hey craig, do you think you could ask your roland rep if the organ sounds on the vr09 are the same as on the upcoming bk9? especially im intresting in hearing about the quality of the leslie sim and drawbars if their the same story. thnks

SB, I asked him of it was the same engine, and he didn't have a definitive response.. He said it sounded a bit different but he wasn't sure what, if any, the differences were. Incidentally I asked him the question because he had a bk-9 that he had brought into the store to demo for the staff. I also think that what he's heard and has in his possession is likely a preproduction demo, so who knows..

Craig MacDonald

Just did a quick (220 miles!) trip to check out the VR. I have to say, it taught me to be thankful for my Numa!

Seriously, I don't think the VR's bad (and having driven all that way with the intention of buying it, I wanted it to be good) but to be honest it left me a little cold. The organ's OK - perhaps a little thin and "digital" - and the No. 2 rotary sim is quite good, but overall I wondered what justified it being twice the price of the XW-P1, even though the Casio's organ/rotary is not quite in the same class. The pianos, IMO, are poor in respect of crude velocity switching, and the EPs are uninspiring. The lead synths are good, although they are slathered with effects to make them seem richer/beefier than they are. The pads/strings/brass are standard - nothing special to me.

The best thing about it, to me, is the interface. It's very easy to navigate, and I didn't find its build quality substandard at all. The keys responded reasonably well - maybe a step up from the unweighted Krome. I can definitely see its appeal, but even though I love the concept of a lightweight synth/organ, I'd rather spend the money on a used PC361, and screw my back some more.

(BTW, thanks to LX88 for the heads-up in respect of stock at Beaverton GC.)

No news regarding the timing of an update..

http://www.mentalfloss.com/sites/default/legacy/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/425AirportFlyingPigs.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I love it... I am still waiting for an update from Roland for my 20 year old synth....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Craig,

Since getting your VR-09 and the post above, have you slept?

D-Bon, it really is a lot of fun to play!

Craig MacDonald

Quick first impressions after opening mine up and scrolling through presets for 15 minutes before running out the door to a gig: I'm very happy with it. Organ is about what I expected, pianos slightly better, EPs not quite as good but still highly playable. Keybed feel was a pleasant surprise -- better than I remembered from briefly trying it at NAMM, and a definite step up from the similarly-priced Krome and MX61. Looking forward to digging in later tonight. Will report back in detail after gigging with it this weekend.

FKS, what I've found is that the more time I spend with it the more I like it.. It will help one you've dialled in an organ sound you're happy with. For me, it started there.

Craig MacDonald

SB, I was looking at the roland website to see how they described the vk engine in the BK-9 and its NOT described as a supernatural instrument, like the VR-09.. So that leads me to believe that the organ in the BK-9 is the VK8 version rather than the new engine in the VR-09.. Have you looked at the description of the BK-9?

Craig MacDonald

Buy a Yamaha FC7 ($38) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FC7-Volume-Pedal-/190836634584?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c6ebff3d8

and you'll be good to go. It has that nice smooth, long throw you are looking for.

It's kind of a cheapy, but I use an EX-P by M-Audio ~$29. It has a sensitivity knob so one can adjust how low the volume goes when throttled all the way back. I have had to tighten the bolts a couple of times in the last year to keep the thing from going full blast when a foot is lifted as it is rather toe heavy. It is made of flimsy plastic inside and out but has outlasted an FC7 on weekly band practice and gigs, and I'm a stand-up player.

Mike, as an SK1 owner, in what areas do you think the SK1 is unequivocally better than the VR?

I need to play a few gigs with the VR-09 to really answer from a position of experience. I promise I will. But right now, the keys (and touch and feel of them) are much better on the SK1.

www.mikemickxer.com

Mike, thanks for the quick review. I was pleasantly surprised by how good the organ is as well, and I agree with your other comments as well.. surprisingly great sound out of this board. Fit and finish is also good as far as I am concerned, despite some suggestion that it's cheap.. I don't agree. I have both Roland EV5 and FV500L and I've only tried the FV500L and I notice the same problem but this isn't just the case with the VR-09 I find the same thing when I use them on my Kronos as well.. don't think I'd buy another Roland expression pedal next time.

Yes the tone control is unique.. it strikes me as more of a notch filter than an EQ.. with selecting organ turning it to the right emphasizes the bass, and turning it to the left de-emphasizes the bass and emphasizes the mids.. (which is where I like it best).. it's weird but strangely effective.

Don't use the transpose at all, although I expect I might sometime, so I could see this would be a problem.

I'm in total agreement with you it's a VERY gig-worthy keyboard to me.

One question for you.. there is some debate regarding the keyboard.. I don't see any problem with it but a couple of posters think it's really awful. What are your thoughts on the keyboard.. ?

For about half the price of other clones, it is really remarkable, and no way awful. I'll know more in a few weeks. But the easy dial-in organ sounds ---especially getting the rotary sim just the way I like it--- make it special to me. I suppose those who haven't played a lot with a SK1 and are using older, bigger clone models/brands may find jumping to this little unit to be an unpleasant prospect and paradigm shift. But I jumped from a big/heavy (relatively speaking, nowadays) VR-760 to an light SK1 to this even lighter VR-09, so I am over the size/lightweight/plastic body shock. These factors, plus the fact that I cut my teeth on Rolands, are making me like this thing -- a lot -- so far.

www.mikemickxer.com

Hey, thanks so much for this lead! I'll give it a try!

www.mikemickxer.com