Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland V-Combo VR-09

Oh Craig...

When was the last time you read a "non-glowing" review from this magazine? Do you even know how these magazines make money?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

HammondDave I know this.. but not every reviewed keyboard gets a Key Buy.. so let's give the VR-09 a bit of credit for this great review.. AND the reviewer hit on basically all the pluses that we've been discussing here, good quality organ and sounds, along with great value, light weight great user interface.. all the things that we've been discussing

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

While I didn't need a magazine to tell me I made a good decision for my needs, I can't wait to get my issue and give it a read.

+1

I agree completely. Great entry level all in one.. or 2nd keyboard, or backup, or rehearsal board.. there's so much here that it has a lot of different uses.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

HammondDave I know this.. but not every reviewed keyboard gets a Key Buy.. so let's give the VR-09 a bit of credit for this great review.. AND the reviewer hit on basically all the pluses that we've been discussing here, good quality organ and sounds, along with great value, light weight great user interface.. all the things that we've been discussing

Really? All the things?

I have not read the "review"... but am certainly not surprised with the "Key Buy"...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Craig, hoping that a different cable solves the noise problem. Looking forward for another try, as I'm planning to use both plugged into an already "noisier than I'd like" guitar amp on some ocasions where I'm using just clav, EPs and organs.

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Craig, hoping that a different cable solves the noise problem. Looking forward for another try, as I'm planning to use both plugged into an already "noisier than I'd like" guitar amp on some ocasions where I'm using just clav, EPs and organs.

I hate having to use 3.5mm (1/8") jacks - notoriously unreliable, and more and more keyboards are dumping 1/4" aux inputs for these. However, I discovered that the Mediabridge range of cables from Amazon are very good indeed, and have used them successfully linking synth modules to my primary boards. I'll plug one into the VR and report back.

You may be suspicious that Keyboard Magazine is so money oriented that they would give a keybuy to a product that is not warranted, and if so, there is nothing that I can say that will change your mind..

However, I can say that they did highlight all of the positive things that most of us have been saying about the VR-09. They didn't crucify the keyboard (ekewaka), and neither did they say the build quality was poor (hammonddave). I happen to disagree with both of those suggestions, and I think that those opinions are in the minority, and despite it's failings the VR-09 has earned a keybuy for it's price-performance ratio something that I, and quite a few others, would whole-heartedly agree with!

Craig MacDonald

I hate having to use 3.5mm (1/8") jacks - notoriously unreliable, and more and more keyboards are dumping 1/4" aux inputs for these.

Hell, some keyboards are dumping 1/4" outputs for these. Korg's forthcoming analog mini-modules only have a 1/8" output, and I don't believe they're the only ones.

voxpops that would be great.. let us know if these cables work better.. I can tell that part of the noise is a connection at the VR-09 input.. (either my cable, or the input itself)

BTW it's not an awful noise, it's just that the output of the VR-09 is pristine, that it stands out a bit.. I have to say that the VR-09 has the least noise of any keyboard I have ever owned!!

Craig MacDonald

OK, just hooked up my Numa (grounded) to the VR using a Mediabridge cable. No noise or hum. The only thing to be aware of is that the Roland's volume pot is a master controller, and will affect both incoming and onboard signals.

Also, hooking up one side only (for a mono signal) from the Numa's mono output simply results in the signal remaining on the selected side through the Roland's circuits. You would need to select the side that you're using to send to FOH.

Thanks for the info.. good to know.. I'll have to see about getting one of these Mediabridge cables!!! Thanks.

Craig MacDonald

voxpops, I did not understand that part (maybe I got lost in the translation, english is not my first language)...

If you could explain me in another way, it would be great :)

Also, hooking up one side only (for a mono signal) from the Numa's mono output simply results in the signal remaining on the selected side through the Roland's circuits. You would need to select the side that you're using to send to FOH.

Did you use a 1/4 mono to 1/8 mono cable?

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

You may be suspicious that Keyboard Magazine is so money oriented that they would give a keybuy to a product that is not warranted, and if so, there is nothing that I can say that will change your mind..

However, I can say that they did highlight all of the positive things that most of us have been saying about the VR-09. They didn't crucify the keyboard (ekewaka), and neither did they say the build quality was poor (hammonddave). I happen to disagree with both of those suggestions, and I think that those opinions are in the minority, and despite it's failings the VR-09 has earned a keybuy for it's price-performance ratio something that I, and quite a few others, would whole-heartedly agree with!

Again, I have not read it... So Craig.. Is it balanced? Do they mention the keyboard? The crappy overdrive? The issues with splits? The issues with the expression pedal? The double triggering?

I also write equipment reviews for the lighting industry. There are ways to write a balanced review, with (things we would like to see addressed) comments that won't piss off advertisers. Or point out obvious compromises.. Otherwise, these "reviews" are not worth the paper (or bandwidth) they are printed on.

Remember the old saying: "If it sounds too good to be true.... It probably is."

voxpops, I did not understand that part (maybe I got lost in the translation, english is not my first language)...

If you could explain me in another way, it would be great :)

Did you use a 1/4 mono to 1/8 mono cable?

To B3, no, I used a stereo RCA (phono) to stereo 3.5mm cable, with two gold 1/4" to RCA adapters.

If you don't have access to a mono cable, this is how you would use the stereo cable.

Keyboard A:

"L" 1/4" (mono) output receives cable's "L" RCA plug (using 1/4" adapter)

Keyboard B (VR-09):

3.5mm stereo input socket receives cable's 3.5mm stereo plug

"L" 1/4" (mono) output receives 1/4" plug for cable to PA or amp

In this case, the "R" RCA plug remains unused.

I hate having to use 3.5mm (1/8") jacks - notoriously unreliable, and more and more keyboards are dumping 1/4" aux inputs for these.

Hell, some keyboards are dumping 1/4" outputs for these. Korg's forthcoming analog mini-modules only have a 1/8" output, and I don't believe they're the only ones.

Cost-cutting, smaller areas on PCB boards et rest.

As for magazine reviews, maybe I'm old but I think the best way to evaluate a product is to try it out rather than to read something and assume that's the truth. You get good ideas of what the product is capable of, but as with most music related things, this is all so subjective.

Cost-cutting, smaller areas on PCB boards et rest.

Why not? They seem to be dumping a lot of features (lowering sound and ergonomic interface quality) to bring down prices and hike up their profit margins. As long as people keep buying and accepting this "downsizing", they will continue to do this. Just look at this thread.....

There's a point where all this cost-cutting in parts and design will backfire in forms of returned units from a couple months of gigging and the unit falls apart.... I don't know about VR-09 longevity yet so I can't say it will happen. But in general, if you save on parts and labor, something has to break. Compare this with the early day monster synths that are still ticking and keep on ticking. Or the Hammonds...

As for magazine reviews, maybe I'm old but I think the best way to evaluate a product is to try it out rather than to read something and assume that's the truth. You get good ideas of what the product is capable of, but as with most music related things, this is all so subjective.

You may be old, but you sure are wise...

Although the PX-5S has been getting rave reviews as well, I made sure that I purchased it from store with a good return policy. If I don't like it... It goes back. I know Craig and many others on this forum do the same.

Again, just because I rip Roland for their product is no reflection on the people who buy it. It's just my opinion. Not worth more or less than anyone else's... I am glad Roland came out with a niche product for many of our colleagues. I just don't agree with accepting flaws because it "only costs $999"....

The reason they are using 1/8" jacks has absolutely nothing to do with cheap and everything to do about the prevalence of ipods & ipads. Hell this thing has a looper, they aren't trying to please a 50yr old playing Green Onions or Whiter Shade of Pale with that. I play two boards, the SV1 or my MOX8 doesn't go through the VR-09 but it works fine in the other direction, add my ipad into the VR-09 it works perfectly and guess what? No adapters!

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Thanks voxpops, I understood. Gonna give it a try when I put my hands on the VR-09. That's gonna be handy when playing with two keybords and a single input amp, things like that.

HEY, I think the point should be made that the choice of a 1/8" input rather than 1/4" stereo (or R/L 1/4") likely has NOTHING TO DO WITH COST CUTTING...!!

I'm quite sure that it has more to do with people using iPods, and other portable devices to store/play their music on.. This is not Roland being cheap, or trying to cut costs.. this is just Roland doing something that makes sense (today).

Craig MacDonald

The reason they are using 1/8" jacks has absolutely nothing to do with cheap and everything to do about the prevalence of ipods & ipads. Hell this thing has a looper, they aren't trying to please a 50yr old playing Green Onions or Whiter Shade of Pale with that. I play two boards, the SV1 or my MOX8 doesn't go through the VR-09 but it works fine in the other direction, add my ipad into the VR-09 it works perfectly and guess what? No adapters!

I understand. But, take the Roland FP range as an example: the FP-7F had 1/8" and 1/4" inputs; the FP-80 only has 1/8". That seems like cost cutting. (Not talking about the mic input here.)

You could get a 1/4 to 1/8 cable converter at any local store nowadays. Need a cable for the iPad, anyway, so I don't think 1/8 use is of that reason. I prefer 1/4s of a simple reason, thinner cables and connectors break more easily, plain physics.

Seems to me an 88key stage piano should have 1/4 inputs there certainly is enough space! That does sound like cost cutting or a serious oversight, if a stage piano was their intent. I also prefer XLR in addition to 1/4" on a stage piano. But on a piano that looks like its primary use is for apartment dwellers with small living space, I can see why maybe why they left it off.

I just don't think its all that important on a second board or synth. My XW-P1 has 1/4" in addition to 1/8" but it doesn't have an expression pedal input! I have never used the them, but I sure would have used an expression pedal!

HEY, I think the point should be made that the choice of a 1/8" input rather than 1/4" stereo (or R/L 1/4") likely has NOTHING TO DO WITH COST CUTTING...!!

I'm quite sure that it has more to do with people using iPods, and other portable devices to store/play their music on.. This is not Roland being cheap, or trying to cut costs.. this is just Roland doing something that makes sense (today).

It is Roland's choice, whether or not they're doing it for cost cutting or market share reasons or whatever.

Is it wise? I'm not sure that cutting corners and/or marketing to a specific audience was their best choice nor made the best sense. They could have chosen to have made this board directed to a wider target base with a few simple additions/modifications, and without losing money IMO. The polarization in this thread is evidence of that to me.

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...

You could get a 1/4 to 1/8 cable converter at any local store nowadays. Need a cable for the iPad, anyway, so I don't think 1/8 use is of that reason. I prefer 1/4s of a simple reason, thinner cables and connectors break more easily, plain physics.

As a guitar player, I can attest that 1/4' cables aren't so immune to failure. I have had enough cable failures to say that the only certainty is that at some point it will fail, so carry a spare.

As a guitar player, I can attest that 1/4' cables aren't so immune to failure. I have had enough cable failures to say that the only certainty is that at some point it will fail, so carry a spare.

I'm forcing myself to retire my guitar 1/4 cables each year as there's lot of wear-and-tear. Most of guitar equipment is 1/4 based with some XLR stuff, never really seen any 1/8 cable systems for guitar equipment. Most likely guitar players would shun those as the plague.