Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need a hand friendly portable piano

Gary75

I'm doing quite a few piano gigs these days and I need something to replace my Stage Compact EX. Ever since I bought a used Yamaha GT2 for the living room, I have spent a lot of time playing it. As someone who has tendinitis flare ups, and as a diabetic, possible future neurological issues, I need something that feels as kind to my hands as this GT2 action seems to be.

I believe Kanker uses a Kawai MP and I read he has had problems with tendinitis, I'm presuming that's the reason he got the Kawai?!

The GT2 has wooden keys and supposedly the action of their acoustics. I just need something that's kind, I'm not fussed about the weight. But maybe wooden keys of the Kawai stage pianos might make a difference. I'll want to go used on my DP so nothing new as I won't be able to afford a decent DP. Budget would probably be around £1300 - $2100

TIA guys

Oh I forgot to add, I tried the RH3 action as I had an SV1, but it bottomed out hard, and found it very sluggish, so I'll avoid that action.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh I forgot to add, I tried the RH3 action as I had an SV1, but it bottomed out hard, and found it very sluggish, so I'll avoid that action.

The desire for a board that is not sluggish and does not bottom out hard cuts down your options from both sides. The Kawai MP6 and especially MP10 bottom out softly but are sluggish. The Roland FP-7F/RD-700NX is not at all sluggish, but it bottoms out hard (and their FP-4F/RD-300NX are sluggish).

So what's left... The Yamaha CP5 eliminates the sluggishness of the CP50/CP33/P155. You might also find a weighted (76 or 88) key version of the Nord Stage series worth looking at, or the Nord Piano. (The Nord Electro HP models are more sluggish.) We're a bit over budget here, but maybe not too far out of reach, especially if you can find a demo model, or maybe something used. There are also some Kawai models I've never played, so can't comment on, including the ES7. I also agree with Dazzjazz that the new Casios are worth looking at: PX-150/PX-350.

Other than action and price, the other big variables would be what you think of their piano sounds, and what other sounds or features you might want it to have. The models mentioned vary a lot in these respects.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I would not call any Privia action, new or old, "kind."

Yeah, I suppose even the newer action that I like does bottom out a bit on the hard side, for someone sensitive to that sort of thing. Not as much as the FP-7F, but I guess I wouldn't call it soft, either. And actually, I'm not sure about the CP5 in this respect. I haven't played one in a while, and then only briefly. Hard bottoming is not something I'm as sensitive to as sluggishness... in fact, I prefer something a little harder to a little softer.

Yeah, I know, that's what she said.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I like the MP-8 a lot. It feel like a piano. But it's heavy especially when in its Road case. The total package is probably around 125 pounds.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I'd try the Roland FP-4 (not 4f.) It doesn't bottom out. I know there are naysayers but IMO it's the best portable DP I've ever owned. If you use proper technique like rotation, gravity drop, proper relaxation, etc., then I think you'll feel as comfortable playing it as a real grand. I go from it to my N2 without any readjusting.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I'd try the Roland FP-4 (not 4f.) It doesn't bottom out. I know there are naysayers but IMO it's the best portable DP I've ever owned.

The FP-4 is an interesting piece. I think it doesn't feel very much like a real piano, yet it is surprisingly decently playable. And I agree, it plays better than the replacement 4F.

I am one of the rare individuals who cannot play an FP-4. I thought I could after auditioning extensively an RD-300GX (the old 300, which I'm told has the same action as the old FP4 ... that was what was in stores, no FP4s were). I am told by teachers my technique is sound. It's just slightly sluggish, and that triggers something in me ... but it is definitely one of the "kinder" boards I've tried. YMMV.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

I am one of the rare individuals who cannot play an FP-4. I thought I could after auditioning extensively an RD-300GX (the old 300, which I'm told has the same action as the old FP4 ... that was what was in stores, no FP4s were).

I think the FP4 plays better than the RD300GX because some of its "shortcomings" are somewhat made up for by the fact that it has speakers in it. You feel the vibrations in your fingers, as you do on a real piano. I think that gives you a little more of a sense that you're playing a "real instrument," despite its flaws. By contrast, like you, I could not warm up to playing the RD-300GX at all.

The FP-4 is certainly gentle on the hands and wrists. Compared to the FP-7F you lose a little of the sense of control, but it's perfectly possible to play the FP-4 with sensitivity and accuracy. The action-to-sound connection is also very good.

The AP samples are good, if a little limited in terms of timbre variation at the pp end. Technically, it's a little long in the tooth, but there is still little that can beat it at the weight and with the degree of onboard control over FX etc.

Well, what I mean is (for those not familiar with my back story on this), I auditioned the 300 in a store, liked it well enough to buy an FP-4 online (no local stores had one). I definitely wanted the FP4 for the speakers, lighter weight, less cost, for what I wanted (just a piano) it was perfect. For some reason though, after a few short sessions, it was apparent that the FP4 completely disagreed with me. I was getting tendonitis flare-ups. I had to sell it. :( But I think my experience is rare. Due to other injury factors, I really walk a tightrope in terms of tolerance to DP actions. Love me pretty much any acoustic piano though, even crappy ones (in terms of not ever getting a tendonitis flare-up from any).

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Thanks guys, I do remember trying the FP4 and was quite taken with it. That was at a time when I didn't play a lot of piano, and all I had to compare it to was my Casio PX-330. Of course, I now have a great action on the GT2, so I'd have to see how it stood up to my expectations now.

It's probably too late to sell my Stage EX before my Xmas gigs, but I'll have a go!

I believe Kanker uses a Kawai MP and I read he has had problems with tendinitis, I'm presuming that's the reason he got the Kawai?!
I saw this when you posted it and couldn't get to it immediately, and then spaced it, but yeah, that's what I play (MP8II) and why. You may want to consider the Yamaha CP5, although if you run mono it sounds like absolute crap in mono, and the balance action can get annoying if you're more a pianist than an organist.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

The FP-4 (which I've owned) and RD-300GX both have a much hand friendlier action than the RD-300NX (FP-4F action) which I had to sell after six months, due to tendon / muscle issues flaring up, again. This latest Roland action bottoms out too quickly, at least for my hand situation; likely it would bother yours as well. So definitely check out the FP-4.

The CP5 action might be a good choice, but Kanker's point about pianists and the balanced action does have some merit. I played the balanced action S90ES for years; loved the instrument, but my right hand didn't as much. IIRC the CP-5 is a more 'evolved' version of that action, so you might want to try it anyway.

While some find it sluggish, I've had good luck with the Yamaha GH action - having played a P250 on a church gig for 6 years, and a P85 for hospice work. I recently replaced the RD-300NX with a used CP-50. Other than having to work on 'opening up' the sound a little, I'm happy with it; certainly easier on my hands. YMMV on the 'sluggishness' issue, so you might want to check out a GH action keyboard.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Here's a 300GX in Boston area!!!

The OP is in the vicinity of Old England, not New England.

Is New England above freezing at the moment?, I'll gladly relocate if it is! :)

I have a Muse Receptor with Ivory 1 installed so I don't neccesarily need a great piano sound. In fact more often than not ill use the internal sound of the GT2 for practicing - what is it something like 32MB sample size?!

Is New England above freezing at the moment?, I'll gladly relocate if it is! :)

I have a Muse Receptor with Ivory 1 installed so I don't neccesarily need a great piano sound. In fact more often than not ill use the internal sound of the GT2 for practicing - what is it something like 32MB sample size?!

I doubt it, it is even cold at night way down here in the deep south (Mississippi) this week :sick:

If all you need is a controller with a great feel, but don't need extensive controller features then you ought to try out something like the CP50 or older CP33. Plus their APs are very usable. If you like that action but need a more complete sound set and programmability, then the S90XS would be a better choice, though not as light or portable.

I would like to try out one of Yamaha's GTs someday.

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Archived