Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Krome

burningbusch

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NS, S.... Krome 88: Light, yet distinctly bulky. :laugh:

I don't get the "NS, S...." reference, but I think the 88 design is great. I assume the unit had to be as deep as it is to house the particular keybed along with its electronics, but they very nicely put all the controls in the front half of the panel, which is something I've wished for on many boards. Now your second tier board can easily leave your 88's controls fully accessible, without having to place the second board as far back or high. In fact, even better, with the right stand setup, you will probably be able to place the front of the 2nd board right on the rear of the 88, which is my favorite way to go when feasible.

The only additional change I'd like to have seen there is that I wish manufacturers would stop centering their control surfaces, minimizing contiguous free space. In this case, if the controls had been moved all the way to the left, you might actually be able to conveniently place a small 2nd tier board directly on the 88, to the right of the controls. Maybe an R3 or MicroKorg, for example,

This appears to be a 100% PCM-based machine. The EPs appear to be sampled version of the EP-1.

Not surprising, that's true to form for Korg, as the M3/M50 were derived from the PCM engine of the OASYS, so this is likewise derived from the PCM engine of the Kronos.

With the 88 known to be lighter than the M50, assuming the rest of the line is likewise no heavier than the equivalent M50s and price is comparable, this looks like a nice improvement and no steps backwards (unlike the M50 which, while having some nice improvements, also represented some steps backwards from its predecessor, the TR). It seems to clearly offer better piano and EP, which is key. I wonder whether the organs may have been improved as well. I imagine all the other PCM sounds are direct Kronos HD1 lifts.

Since the "Kronos derived" piano has "full length samples for each key" they probably got the size down from 4.7 gb by reducing the number of velocity layers.

It has non velocity sensitive aftertouch. Whatever that means.

That was apparently from a google translation of a Japanese page. The UK page is up now, and unfortunately, the answer is: "*velocity sensitive is supported, after touch is not supported" http://www.korg.co.uk/products/workstations/krome/krome_spec.php

I had been thinking maybe there was some kind of AT on it. Without that, from my perspective, it's biggest advantage over the 61/73 M50 would be piano and EP, though the 88 adds the advantage of lighter weight.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Isn't 3.8GB ROM samples a big jump up from what any other non-Kronos keyboard offers?

I think other latest-generation keyboards tend to offer a few hundred megabytes, does that sound right?

So Korg has gone up by a factor of 5-10 in what looks like a mid-range keyboard?

Looks like an updated Wavestation with a Kronos Lite sound engine. Korg should go the distance and release a Kronos-like module. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

NS, S.... Krome 88: Light, yet distinctly bulky. :laugh:

I don't get the "NS, S...." reference, but I think the 88 design is great. I assume the unit had to be as deep as it is to house the particular keybed along with its electronics, but they very nicely put all the controls in the front half of the panel, which is something I've wished for on many boards. Now your second tier board can easily leave your 88's controls fully accessible, without having to place the second board as far back or high. In fact, even better, with the right stand setup, you will probably be able to place the front of the 2nd board right on the rear of the 88, which is my favorite way to go when feasible.

The only additional change I'd like to have seen there is that I wish manufacturers would stop centering their control surfaces, minimizing contiguous free space. In this case, if the controls had been moved all the way to the left, you might actually be able to conveniently place a small 2nd tier board directly on the 88, to the right of the controls. Maybe an R3 or MicroKorg, for example,

"NS, S...." was a reference - rather cryptic, I'll admit - to "No sh_t, Sherlock". Anyway, regarding the Krome 88's ample real estate: different strokes, I suppose; that open, forward front panel area is useful for uber-small, second keyboards, accesories, etc.. But I'm on a compact keyboard kick lately; am especially liking Marino's several photoshopped reductions. The 'S70XS' is a classic; wish he'd designed that one for Yamaha :D

Cool that the Krome ETA is October. The 73 could fit what I'm looking for....

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I suppose; that open, forward front panel area is useful for uber-small, second keyboards, accesories, etc.. But I'm on a compact keyboard kick lately

I agree, I like boards to be as small as possible. But manufacturers have no incentive to make boards any bigger than they need to be. After all, a smaller housing is cheaper to manufacture, and a smaller unit is cheaper to ship and warehouse. So I assume that it is either impossible or at least more costly to get these boards smaller. That being the case, if the enclosure must be big, I'm in favor of design that moves controls forward and/or consolidates free space, so I'm glad they did at least some of that.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Looks all rompler so far... But I wonder if they are planning some kind of drawbar control over the organs and if those B3 sounds are somewhat derived from the CX3 engine...

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Looks to me like the Krome will have major advantages over the MOX8, which is right now has the market cornered on 32-lb 88 weighted workstations. The quality of the "NH" action and the price will of course be major considerations.

The wait continues for the SV2 . . .

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Anderson's Music in the UK lists the prices of the three models as GBP £799, £949 and £1,249, respectively.

Cheaper than I thought... I wonder if the piano sound is just good, or really, really good? Good enough to replace a 'proper' digital piano that would sell for a fairly similar price? And what will the 88 key action be like? Questions...

I love that Anderton Music Video - basically shot in the guy's upstairs bedroom flat! :D Could hardly hear a word of what he was saying though.

I watched the entire 20 minute video and he played a bunch of stuff but not one organ sound - not encouraging.

Does anyone know what the polyphony of these boards are?

Looks to me like the Krome will have major advantages over the MOX8, which is right now has the market cornered on 32-lb 88 weighted workstations. The quality of the "NH" action and the price will of course be major considerations.

Compared to the MOX, the Krome has the touchscreen, and may now have the better pianos and EPs (I liked the Yamaha piano well enough, but definitely would have liked better EPs). OTOH, I tend to like Yamaha's factory rompler patches better than Korg's, so I don't see this as a slam dunk. It is certainly more competitive with the MOX8 than the M50-88 was, because of the improved pianos/EPs and the lower weight, though. And as I mentioned, I like the panel layout, But also, as you say, the action of the 88 will be a big variable... though the MOX8 doesn't provide the toughest competition.

Other than that, the Krome maintains the M50 advantage of offering a 73, where there is no MOX7.

In a way, I think this may take the place of an SV2. I mean, an SV2 would probably have these piano and EP sounds, and sell for something in the same price range. Would the aesthetics, ergonomics, and tube of the SV1 justify its concurrent existence?

Looks all rompler so far... But I wonder if they are planning some kind of drawbar control over the organs and if those B3 sounds are somewhat derived from the CX3 engine...

I doubt it. If this was the case I believe the premliminary propaganda would have featured this as a talking point.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I wonder if they are planning some kind of drawbar control over the organs and if those B3 sounds are somewhat derived from the CX3 engine...

Important question/issue. I really enjoy using the "draw-faders" on my Kronos 61, not to mention the CX-3 engine.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

In a way, I think this may take the place of an SV2. I mean, an SV2 would probably have these piano and EP sounds, and sell for something in the same price range. Would the aesthetics, ergonomics, and tube of the SV1 justify its concurrent existence?

I'm thinking of some of the key sounds of the Kronos in a peformance-oriented package, rather than a workstation.

I'm thinking of some of the key sounds of the Kronos in a peformance-oriented package, rather than a workstation.

I saw that term, performance-oriented on another forum. What kind of activity is that ? Does it take place outside the home ? Why would someone do a "performance" and for whom ? :confused:

Well, I love the tube and do think that alone would justify the SV's position as more of a performance board while the Krome would be more of a studio piece.

Sure, either board could do either job, but I'm just saying.

American Keyworks AK24+ Diablo (with bow), Hammond L100, Korg M3 expanded, Korg Sigma, Yamaha MM8, Yamaha SY99

I saw that term, performance-oriented on another forum. What kind of activity is that ? Does it take place outside the home ? Why would someone do a "performance" and for whom ? :confused:

In this context, performance-oriented means instant access to parameters a keyboad player would typically use, via the big ol' knobs. Also, compact and portable. Also (quite optionally) dares to make a style statement.

88 key version is 32 lbs.

Actually 33.51 lbs according to http://www.korg.co.uk/products/workstations/krome/krome_spec.php

And surprisingly, the 61/73 versions are heavier than their M50 predecessors. The 73 has gained almost 5 lbs, from 17.6 to 22.49.

So far, I'm not seeing where these models are offering much over the M50, apart from the pianos and EPs... and if that's the appeal, you probably want the weighted action. So the 88 looks to be the pick of the litter, especially at its reduced weight. (I was more excited about the unweighted models when I thought they may have had some kind of AT.)

And I wish they'd stop with the black buttons on a black background...

In this context, performance-oriented means instant access to parameters a keyboad player would typically use, via the big ol' knobs. Also, compact and portable. Also (quite optionally) dares to make a style statement.

Oh ok I think I'm beginning to grasp this concept. So compact and portable would apply to moving this particular "performance oriented " keyboard from place to place . So for this activity would one actually be monetarily compensated ?

As I'm doing some reading here from some old internet writings, I see there was a point in time when one could actually consider making somewhat of a, dare I say, career out of this performance activity...fascinating. ;):)

88 key version is 32 lbs.

Actually 33.51 lbs according to http://www.korg.co.uk/products/workstations/krome/krome_spec.php

And surprisingly, the 61/73 versions are heavier than their M50 predecessors. The 73 has gained almost 5 lbs, from 17.6 to 22.49.

So far, I'm not seeing where these models are offering much over the M50, apart from the pianos and EPs... and if that's the appeal, you probably want the weighted action. So the 88 looks to be the pick of the litter, especially at its reduced weight. (I was more excited about the unweighted models when I thought they may have had some kind of AT.)

And I wish they'd stop with the black buttons on a black background...

I pulled my info from Japan:

KROME-61 7.2kg (15.87 lbs)

KROME-73 8.2kg (18.07 lbs)

KROME-88 14.7kg (32.4 lbs)

http://www.korg.co.jp/Product/Synthesizer/KROME/spec.html

Busch.

Oh ok I think I'm beginning to grasp this concept. So compact and portable would apply to moving this particular "performance oriented " keyboard from place to place . So for this activity would one actually be monetarily compensated ?

As I'm doing some reading here from some old internet writings, I see there was a point in time when one could actually consider making somewhat of a, dare I say, career out of this performance activity...fascinating. ;):)

Get down with your bad sarcastic self, Dave.

But I get your drift . . . finding the right keyboard does not ensure good results.

So far, I'm not seeing where these models are offering much over the M50, apart from the pianos and EPs...

Well, it's a pretty big "much" - almost eight times the PCM ROM (3.8 vs 1/4 gb). 120 voices vs. 80 too. I'm in the market for a DP and will definitely give the 88 version a good listen.

This really came from left field. I had no idea... I mean don't any of these guys introduce new keyboards at NAMM shows anymore? Anyway it's a welcome surprise.

There's really nothing out there that's even close. Game changer lite guys...

The majority of those "gigabytes" are pianos though. The rest of the ROM is probably closer to the M3/M50 in terms of contents. The Andertons video does sound pretty good through.

In terms of cons for me:

- Lack of pedal inputs

- Lack of aftertouch

- Lack of smooth sound transitions

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

For me, the answer is a definite yes. For a live gigging board, I don't need or want a sequencer. Or drum loops. Or 16-part multitimbrality. Or flute, guitar or sound effects patches. Or even aftertouch. Basically I want what they did with the SV-1, only with Kronos-like APs and Rhodes, basic split capability, maybe a few more synth timbres, and a non-crappy keybed.

Fingers crossed for NAMM 2013...

So far, I'm not seeing where these models are offering much over the M50, apart from the pianos and EPs...

Well, it's a pretty big "much" - ... I'm in the market for a DP and will definitely give the 88 version a good listen.

Yes, the Krome is something someone could look at if they're looking to buy something that functions primarily as a stage piano, whereas the M50 really didn't compete so well there. Between the new piano/EP sounds and the low weight, I think the 88 is an exciting product. But the 61/73... they seem like perfectly nice boards, but so far, I just don't see them having a lot more appeal than the M50 did. I mean, if people were leaning toward a MOX6 over an M50-61, or a Jupiter 50 over a M50-73, I don't really see that changing so much if you substitute Krome for M50. But more details are yet to come, so who knows...

For me, the answer is a definite yes. For a live gigging board, I don't need or want a sequencer. Or drum loops. Or 16-part multitimbrality. Or flute, guitar or sound effects patches. Or even aftertouch. Basically I want what they did with the SV-1, only with Kronos-like APs and Rhodes, basic split capability, maybe a few more synth timbres, and a non-crappy keybed.

I understand that. But if the Krome-88 has everything you want, and was priced where you'd expect an SV-2 to be priced, does it really matter that it also has all the stuff you don't want? Though of course, if the SV-2 could be priced less, the equation changes. And at least one advantage of the Kroms over the SV form factor is that it's easier to stack a 2nd board on it (though that's something that could theoretically be addressed on an SV-2 as well).

Archived