Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT Rant: Concertgoers Behaving Badly

Rusty Mike

Unfortunately, there was one lady who insisted on waving her arms, and singing loudly (off key - WAY off key) to every song.
Well, it was probably better than the Karaoke Night recently where I was the designated driver.....! :sick:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unfortunately, there was one lady who insisted on waving her arms, and singing loudly (off key - WAY off key) to every song.
Well, it was probably better than the Karaoke Night recently where I was the designated driver.....! :sick:

Actually, "Karaoke" is a Japanese word meaning "Off Key." So, next time someone says they're going to "sing karaoke", you'll know.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

There's a jazz club here in Indy called the Chatterbox. There used to be a drummer here who had the steady Wednesday night gig. Not always the most amiable chap, particularly when he forgot to take his Lithium. Anyway, one night the crowd was just talking up a storm (as usual) while they were playing (it is the Chatterbox after all), so ole boy stops the band, grabs the mic, starts screaming at the crowd that the band was trying to make music up there, so they all need to shut up, then he turns to the piano player and yells "now play a goddamn ballad"

Me, I don't do concerts, and don't really care to check out live music that much anymore (ironic, huh?). As far as movies go, I'm not much of a movie buff, and not too many movies really require the big screen anyway. When there is a real big screen movie I want to see, one of the great advantages of being a musician is that I can go check it out on a Monday or Tuesday afternoon. Frequently, we'll have the theater to ourselves. If anything, there'll be 10 or 15 other folks there. Those folks generally behave for some reason.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Actually, "Karaoke" is a Japanese word meaning "Off Key."

It is?

From Merriam-Webster...

Origin of KARAOKE

Japanese, from kara empty + oke, short for okesutora orchestra

First Known Use: 1979

Stuff and things.

I would have to see the kanji to be sure but that sounds correct.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Frequently, we'll have the theater to ourselves. If anything, there'll be 10 or 15 other folks there. Those folks generally behave for some reason.

I envy you, because that's exactly the geographic difference I mentioned earlier. Where I live, it doesn't matter if there's only one other person in the theater; that person is pretty much guaranteed to take a phone call or start playing a game during the movie. In fact I think people are actually bolder about it in those situations, because they're only pissing of a couple other people rather than a whole room full, so in their mind it doesn't matter as much.

I would have to see the kanji to be sure but that sounds correct.

I tried to post it, but the forum software reduced it to a mess of numbers and symbols....

You can find it here:

http://jisho.org/words?jap=&eng=karaoke&dict=edict&common=on

That is kana which each character are syllabograms which is different than Kanji. In Kanji the characters have means. In Kana the characters represent sounds. The problem with Japanese is there are so many homophones it could could mean a billion things. I do know Kara can mean empty when written like this. http://www.somersetkarate.co.uk/images/KanjiKara.gif As in Kara Te or empty hand.

Oke can mean like a bucket or a tub.

PS I found out it in my dictionary. There is an entry for orchestra.

Sadly, I can relate to many of these posts.

Several years ago my wife and I went to see Denis Leary at the House of Blues in Chicago. We got there early (general admission) and found ourselves a couple of bar stools along a railing with a nice view of the stage. After the show started, in comes this group of 20-something egocentric yuppie types who stand right in front of us, acting obnoxious, loud, rude, etc. Due to their unpredictable/erratic behavior, we ended up having to standand Im doing a slow burn. Well, at the end of the show Denis tosses a T-shirt out to the crowd and I see it coming toward me, so I jump up and catch it! Then just as my feet hit the ground, one of these goons reaches over and tries to grab it from me. He then starts pulling on it with both hands, I pull back....and hes not letting go. So I use the shirt to pull his hands in toward me and roll my shoulder over onto his wrists and use this leverage to take him toward the ground. He tries to hang on as long as he can, but then has to let go and goes flying backwards and wipes out into the bar stools. Other people are laughing hysterically and giving me high fives. The dude slowly gets up and walks away with his tail between his legs. Im sure I messed up his entire weekend.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

That is kana which each character are syllabograms which is different than Kanji.
You're right. However, I had chosen the Kanji search option. The characters were so small that I didn't bother to check.

I have worked in Japan for a while, but that was 25 years ago.... forgot everything. Sigh.

Morons at concerts are nothing new. A few of my favorites (insert sarcasm)

I saw a fight break out at a Genesis concert (Mama Tour) just as the house lights went down. :freak:

A guy got ejected at a Sarah McLachlan concert (Afterglow) for yelling, threatening and ultimately, pushing a 20 something girl. He looked he was 50. Theres no fighting at a Sarah McLachlan show! :D

Last but not least, my son and I just attended Roger Waters presents The Wall. Several seats down, there was a 40ish drunk (holding a beer in each hand), who thought it was appropriate to scream during every song. As soon as the opening notes would sound out, there he was screaming his approval (during solos too). Imagine trying to listen to Good Bye Blue Sky with a mental midget screaming YEAHHHHHHHHHH WHOOOOOOOOOO through it. Finally I think the weed kicked in because he eventually settled down. :rolleyes:

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

Sometimes, it's not the concertgoers, but the performers that behave badly...

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOXDbMne6Ek

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

My wife and sister in law went to the next concert they had at Riverport following that show where Axl started a riot.

Riverport put in a ton of additional security measures and moved the stage an additional 25 or 50 feet from the crowd. But get this. It was an Amy Grant concert, I don't think she had even crossed over into secular music yet. :D

Axl Rose is an unprofessional hack. You never attack an audience member. I guess he takes his "professional attitude" lessons from Meta World Peace...

In contrast to that, you have Alice Cooper. When I first saw him in the early 70's he was heckled by ignorant yahoos. He ate it up, and kept on performing like a professional. He certainly proved them wrong.

Below is an example of the crap he took on stage. He is hit in the face with a cake. Watch how he handles it...

[video:youtube]

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Actually, "Karaoke" is a Japanese word meaning "Off Key."

It is?

From Merriam-Webster...

Origin of KARAOKE

Japanese, from kara empty + oke, short for okesutora orchestra

First Known Use: 1979

Let me try again:

"Facetious: Adjective:

Treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.

Synonyms:

jocose - humorous - jocular - waggish - comic - funny"

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Sorry you had that experience, Mike. I would notify security next time; they need to ensure a courteous and safe atmosphere (and you trying to enforce "courteous" on your own is not safe), and if they can't try demanding your money back. I don't know if escalating the complaint to venue customer service would help but maybe worth a shot.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

All these other stories remind me of the time I saw Chick Corea's Elektrik Band at Blue Note in NYC. You'd think this would be a pretty discerning crowd. And for the most part, it was. Except for three douchbags in business suits and their dates who came in late and sat down at the table in front of me and my husband. They are talking loudly during the performance and carrying on, like it's a standard bar gig. I guess for these expense-account dolts a $50 cover charge seems reasonable for talking and drinking ... Anyway, we happened to be sitting to the side of the stage, right up next to it, on the side Chick was. GREAT for a keyboard geek like myself. Anywho, after a song and a half of this crap, during a break between songs, Chick turns around, looks down at these morons, stops and watches them for 5 seconds or so (which means everyone else in the building did too) and then said, "Excuse me, are we interrupting you? You know, there is a room full of people here to see a show, and we're trying to play for them, but I have to say, you are being very distracting." or something to that effect. They looked like 7th graders who got busted for passing notes in class, ha. It was priceless. So the band starts the next song, and these fools get up and leave midsong. Rest of the show was idiot-free. :D

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

I saw Pat Metheny do that at show. He took a moment out of his set to inform some drunken college boys that it wasn't a rock concert. The guys appeared to apologize and stay for the show, but were better behaved from the looks of it.

I was in the cheap seats so I don't know for sure.

Chick turns around, looks down at these morons, stops and watches them for 5 seconds or so (which means everyone else in the building did too) and then said, "Excuse me, are we interrupting you? You know, there is a room full of people here to see a show, and we're trying to play for them, but I have to say, you are being very distracting."

A great way to deal with it. Chick rules!

I know if I am PLAYING a rock and roll show. It is more fun to play to a rowdy crowd than and silent dead crowd.

If I am attending a show well ..... it is either our municipal band, Illinois Symphony, St. Louis Symphony, or some sort of traveling chamber performance and those shows are not usually too rowdy.

Most folks try to ignore rude behavior but everybody around it is thinking the same thing...STFU. :laugh:

If one is incapable of doing it and/or fearing their own personal safety, notify the proper authorities.

The main thing is not to let rude behavior go unchecked. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I had 2 musician friends from the town I grew up in, brothers that I became friends with and jamed with as a kid of about 18 or 19. My other musican friends just knew them from the neighborhhood. As we got to know them the brothers told us they were in 'Steam' which was a studio band put together in the late 60's that had the radio hit ('69) " Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye"

The older brother said then that the audiences were getting so obnoxious that he felt the good years of gigging and shows were over ,the audiences were just getting so hard to play to! He had given up the music business by 1972 or so! That made my 18 year old mind stop and think way back then! I never ever considered that ,I also never forgot it.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Archived