Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Play something we can dance to.. " ("like Sinatra")

Jazz+

Time and time again at solo piano wedding receptions some woman will come up and say "Can you play something we can dance to... like Frank Sinatra... really romantic... slow..."

Often they don't really know what they want; they might mean they want it to sound like Sinatra belting out "Fly Me To The Moon" or "The Way You Look Tonight" with the Basie orchestra, a rather impossible request to pull off when playing alone with digital piano. Or maybe they really do want a ballad for slow dancing, maybe something like "These Foolish Things", "Polka Dots And Moonbeams", or "When I Fall In Love" which I typically play with a medium slow legato stride left hand.

What is your style of playing and approach in those situations?

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We once got an obnoxious drunk who from the beginning of our six hour gig kept slobbering out, "play something we can dance to... like Maggie May".

Has anyone ever seen people dance to that tune? It's a folk ballad! On mandolin, no less, so it wouldn't transcribe very well to a sax quintet.

Well, we simply responded by playing more danceable music, like latin jazz and latin rock vs. swing standards (many don't know how to dance to those).

I suspect in your case that the sentiment was poorly expressed but that the desire was clear, such that the request might be met in spirit.

The Maggie May request couldn't be met, obviously. The guy was still there at the end and got into a fist fight with someone else at that point. I was gone by then.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

In such situations, I don't think it's a ballad that's called for. But who knows; and with a poorly specified request like that my response would be to first play Fly me to the Moon at a slightly lower than medium tempo that really invites people to dance, thereupon finishing off with one of aforementioned Sinatra ballads. Everybody who digs Sinatra and dancing at different paces should be happy, and by the second song they'll really recognize that you're taking requests seriously, but doing so with musical diversity.

Haven't done this yet. Works in my head, though. People around here usually request utter poo. Really. Old, crappy schlager hits, but in Danish and not even pulled off properly. Sad world.

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

This is easy... create a songlist, hand it to the client and say "pick one". Win/win... client gets to make a request and the responsibility for picking "the right song" is off of you.

My current songlist is 400+ but I have created a handout with 200 selections on it. That overwhelms most people but some take the time to check off a few and then tip me. I've seen handout songlists with as few as twenty selection already.

This is easy... create a songlist, hand it to the client and say "pick one". Win/win... client gets to make a request and the responsibility for picking "the right song" is off of you.

That's why they call you The Pro!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

What you want to say: "If you want music you can dance to, you should have hired my goddamn band!"

What you really say: Nothing. Then grit your teeth and play Fly Me to the Sodding Moon with a walking bass.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Not exactly the same situation, but my band plays 80's dance stuff (Madonna, Prince, etc.) At a recent gig, a drunken female patron rather loudly told our soundman, "Play something we can dance to."

He looked at her calmly and said, "Most people CAN dance to what they're playing."

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

What you want to say: "If you want music you can dance to, you should have hired my goddamn band!"

Yup! The problem is that the person making the request is likely a guest, and not the person who hired you. So maybe it should be "Sorry, but your host was too cheap to hire the dance band."

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

When asked the same question, we would reply with "Aqualung".

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

solo piano + dance request + Sinatra = walking bass on Fly Me, Way You Look, etc . . .

But the real entertainment is the smartass replies that lie unspoken.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Keep in mind that they usually dance the fox trot with a step on beat 1 and beat 3, so they are essentially moving in cut time, thus 120 - 136 beats per minute is ideal (Fly Me To The Moon, The Way You Look Tonight)

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

did a Sunday Brunch last weekend - no one danced but those Sinatra tunes do go over well - and I remember in one of the old Keyboard player articles about gigging that whenever you get a request that you don't know to go home and learn it - now I have to learn Cheek to Cheek. I think we did all of the tunes the OP mentioned, plus a lot of other great american song book stuff. It's a trio of sax vocals piano - I am loving it - I don't mind the walking bass lines at all - I like playing them - I like having a bass player more - but most places don't have the budget or the room - the place liked us and gave us a Friday in August with more money for bass and drums - very excited - but have the same worry as the OP: Need some dance-able tunes for August.

When someone asks me for Sinatra in a situation like that, the first thing I usually play is "Strangers In The Night". It's romantic, danceable, and everyone knows it.

I'm not looking for quality musical content here. I'm looking for tips ;)

I heard another piano player once remark that playing piano at a wedding reception is like attaching a race horse to a plow. He wasn't referring to me btw... I'm more of the plow horse type of piano player myself :laugh: but you get the idea. You do wedding receptions because they pay well, not because they're fun. They are a job in the real sense of the word.

A guitarist friend of mine tells this story. His mother was in a retirement home, and he'd take his trio, with acoustic bass and the drummer playing mostly brushes, in to play a few times a month to the residents. My friend's trio plays mostly standards, but their approach is pretty modern and exploratory, though they would tone it down for these gigs. One day, an elderly woman came up and asked, very politely, "Do you take requests?"

My friend said, "We'll try, what do you want to hear?"

She replied, "Could you play something with a beginning, a middle and an end?"

My friend swears this is true.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

My fav "solo piano gig" thing happened to a good friend of mine. He played at a local Japanese steak house a few nights a week and was a very good player ... could cover all the standards better than most, plus being a performance major in college, had a pretty comprehensive repertoire of classical stuff as well. Nothing was more fun than showing up where he was playing and "know any Liszt?" ... and he could pull it off.

One night some snobby guy and this girl he was trying to impress came in for dinner. After being there for about 5 minutes dude walks up to my friend and "I'll give you $100.00 to NOT play until we finish our meal...".

Friend took the $100 and walked across the street to enjoy a pizza while waiting on the jerk to finish his dinner...

Les Mizzell

----------------------------------------------

A club I used to play at had a soundguy that was kind of the default opening act, he was a really good guitarist/singer, he'd do a solo set, then run sound for the band later in the evening. He was one of those guys that probably knows a million songs, and he'd throw it open for requests. My bandmates and I used to try to stump him, I remember one time I called out "Jethro Tull," and he smiled and played a perfect solo version of Skating Away on the Thin Ice of the New Day. Loved it.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Les, I would say your friend was the bigger jerk for taking the money over honouring the commitment to the restauranteur and the gig contract.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I think Garner really nails it, it's not walking and it's not quite stride:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1RokAJ0qAc

I never really paid much attention to EG but Sirius Jazz plays him all the time and now I'm a fan.. He has some very cool arrangements.

The guy had monster chops voicing those RH octave chords. Try some of that transcription bringing out the top melody of the chord at tempo.... :cry:

What a great artist.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

To me, one of the most rewarding things of being a musician is having people dance to our music. More so than a whisper-quiet crowd that listens attentively.

I hardly ever do solo gigs, though, and it must be hard to get them going in such a situation. However, a few months back we had an art initiative here, where decorated pianos were placed in public places all over town, with signs on them saying "play me". Anybody could walk up to a piano, sit down and play.

On two occasions my son prompted me to do so, and I played some cuban stuff and ragtime. And people did dance. I have to admit I was a little self-conscious both times (I haven't played an acoustic in years) but the dancing just kind of took that blanket of shyness away and let me connect with the people around me.

And I feel that way everytime. When people dance, they become participants rather than observers, and they contribute to the performance in a non-auditory way.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I never really paid much attention to EG but Sirius Jazz plays him all the time and now I'm a fan.. He has some very cool arrangements.

The guy had monster chops voicing those RH octave chords. Try some of that transcription bringing out the top melody of the chord at tempo.... :cry:

What a great artist.

He was one of my first piano heroes when I started studying jazz. :cool:

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

concert by the sea!! One of my favorites. Try I'll Remember April - fast! There is a great Hal Leonard transcription of that available.

There is a great analysis of his left hand style in the Steinway book The Left Hand.

How do the guys that do these kinds of piano transcriptions have that kind of patience! Must take forever! My piano teacher had me transcribe Kelly's Freddie solo (right hand) and took me forever! I could play it but writting it out...I still do transcriptions by hand - someday I will learn a notation program.

I too grew up on garner and while revisiting him this week I notice Garner really liked the key of Ab, he always played Misty in Ab. I am finding it lays really well with his style as I attempt to copy him. I think the guidelines might be that when the melody line gets tricky, such as leaping intervals or really fast stuff, just use octaves. Also, I notice Garner almost always fills in his octaves when the root, 3rd, 5th or 7th is in the melody and less often when it's a non primary chord tone, perhaps partly because it's less obvious as your playing which notes to include when non chord tones are in the melody.

Makes sense, treatment of passing tones ... nice analysis! It's been years since I've listened to Garner and I don't do solo piano really, so I haven't been in this frame of mind. But your observations has me wanting to crack open the box of wax discs, find my turntable, and check this out again. :-D Or I suppose I could YouTube it ...

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Archived