Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New C2D Video

dazzjazz

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sure clicks a lot.

But, in the past we had some terrible click algorithms in the clones. The bad click and the percussion were the first elements that screamed !CLOOOONE! when I heard them.

For example, check the NI B4. That click sounded horrible to my ears.

But now, with the Mojo, KeyBs/Numas, XKs/SKs, and now the C2D we can dial the keyclick knob to "hi" and it does sounds very good.

It's not just the amount, it's also how good the loud click sounds.

I have to be honest... with these last software (when well recorded), I cannot tell if it's a real B or if it's a clonewheel anymore.

I can still guess, but I'll bet I'll get some of them wrong.

Here are more clips of Pierre direkt out from left right

I am glad to read the positive comments. I have known for a long time that the C2d is going to be a very potent organ.

Regards Frederick

Sounds excellent to me,- thx !

A.C.

Is there any documentation of specs for the C2D? Manual to download, or anything?

I'm interested in the amount of controllable parameters, especially if they have finally given users a way to turn down the warble on the vibrato intensity.

Moe

---

Is there any documentation of specs for the C2D? Manual to download, or anything?

I'm interested in the amount of controllable parameters, especially if they have finally given users a way to turn down the warble on the vibrato intensity.

Doesn't look like it.

Nord C2D product page and full details coming soon!

Have you spotted the warble in the demos? I haven't listened for it.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Have you spotted the warble in the demos? I haven't listened for it.

I need to listen a lot more critically before I render an informed judgement, but my initial impressions are:

- best sounding Nord organ to date, 4 draw "bar" sets is brilliant.

- sounds quite thick and full, perhaps unrealistically so. I think Mojo still has the edge for authenticity, but this organ seems like it will cut live.

- high drawbars are definitely less muffled sounding than before, but I haven't heard leslie on fast with full organ enough - need to hear more.

- new click is very nice, sounds more smeared than Mojo, more akin to the click on VB-3 1.4.

- still don't like the sound of the overdrive. It's too edgy and not smooth enough.

As to the warble, it reveals itself differently on different registrations. I haven't heard anything really bad so far.

Moe

---

@keyklicker

You are 100% right about the sonic character of the click artifact being a major factor. My Hammond XB3 has a horrible not off click. I is a low frq thump.

There are two areas that you need to cover in a clone.

1.Sonic trueness to B3

2.Annoying sounds or sound characters.

If you get 1 100% right but have a few annoying things then every thing you will hear when you are the things that bug your ear.

The C/V has no settings orger than the ones on the front panel.

It has been pointed out that this might be a good idea to habe such a settting :)

We have to see what the future brings. It is a SW based synth after so changes are only and update away

/Frederick

Gosh, I can't help but think that if there was an Electro under the hood, this the C2D would sell a bunch and bury the SK2.

Oh well - I will still get one and dig it...

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Crumar Mojo - RIP

Hammond-Suzuki XK series - RIP

Uh, yeah. :rolleyes:

C2D street price (estimated) = $3200

Mojo basic price = $2609

Besides the price advantage, the Mojo also has the selection of 20 different tonewheel sets. People often don't agree on which clone sounds best (or, heck, even which of a number of different real tonewheel Hammonds sounds best), so I think that's a big plus, that almost everyone is likely to find a Mojo setting that comes close to their own idea of what an ideal Hammond should sound like. Though it is not impossible that someone could like the C2D sound better than *any* of the Mojo variants, and that would be an interesting wrinkle, if we actually see a good amount of that.

From what little we can tell, though, this is the best Nord has done, and is likely to be at least highly acceptable to most players. It is pricier, but the 4 sets of drawbars and lower weight are some offsetting advantages, too, along with the established sales/service/support network.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The C2D has the newly upgraded organ, which is the same one in Electro 4D.

From what I've read, it appears it's the same as the organ on the Stage2. Can anyone verify this?

Here for the gear.

The C2D has the newly upgraded organ, which is the same one in Electro 4D.

From what I've read, it appears it's the same as the organ on the Stage2. Can anyone verify this?

The Stage 2 organ engine is based on the C2. It would not have the new enhancements of the C2D.

And honestly, I think the difference between the Stage 2 organ and the E3 is insignificant. This C2D does sound like a nice step up.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I don't know... The Leslie sim sounds very good... Very weak overdrive... Good click and percussion, but it sounds a bit strange with full drawbars and VC on.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Some new ones! (Pretty bad playing in some sound quality is great though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7AmJtJMG38

The full organ sound in this video is nice - better than my A100!!

I think this will be a great clone for many of us.

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

I've listened to the demos and comparisons on the Nord website and the YouTube videos. Indeed, the key click is much nicer, and the last octive of the bass is nicer. The overdrive seems a little bit smoother than the C2. Yes, the Leslie sim is better. However, is there a mono output for the Leslie sim? The C2 doesn't have this option, and using mono isn't good with the C2. Well, the Ventilator makes this option possible and the sound better. What about the C/V? When I was using the C2, the C/V was the least closest one to the vintage ones. Also, the leakage wasn't right because it sounded like high pitch metallic noise.

58 Hammond B3, 74 Leslie 122, 64 Hammond, A100, 61 Leslie 45, Hammond XK-5 system, Hammond SX Pro, SKX Pro, MAG P-2, etc... owned many others...

The new leslie simulation/s is pretty outstanding. Well done Nord. I thought the keyclick was little too over the top, but it is adjustable.

A.J. Blues

Manager and Keyboardist

The Tash Brothers Band

www.myspace.com/TheTashBrothersBand

I don't know... The Leslie sim sounds very good... Very weak overdrive... Good click and percussion, but it sounds a bit strange with full drawbars and VC on.

I'll make a note and record with the drive at various settings.

In what say does it sound weak to you?

Is it the amount used or the character of drive itself independent of the amount?

I used my old C2 today since a friend of mine has borrowed the C2d to do a two days recording session with it.

Going back to the C2 I realize the difference between the two. It is a substancial difference. The guys in my trio clearly hear the diff. The C2 has a lot less bite and the TG callibration in the lowest octave hurts the bass lines

With this i can safely say - the C2d is not just a C2 with drawbars. It is a major improvement. I really missed the C2d at todays rehearsal

/Frederick

The c2d does not have a mono out for the Leslie.

In what way does the Nord simulation sound bad i mono?

If you vould describe it I could test it the way you want it tested and post a video on the subject. Or send you a recording directly.

I will have some time over easter.

(Frederick - I sent you a PM. Please check it. Thanks!)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived