Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ventilator

Sir Duke

According to the UPS website the ventilator I just purchased should arrive today. I can't wait to get it home and run my antique Korg CX-3 through it to see how it sounds.
Hammond A100, Yamaha S80, Roland Juno Stage, Korg CX-3 Vintage, 65 Fender Pro Reverb, Warmoth Tele

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It will sound great. I just got one with the footswitch. One of the forum members Tucktronix runs his with a new Korg CX-3 and it sounds great.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I got mine about a month ago and absolutely love it. Makes any Hammond sim sound better. Even makes real Hammonds sound great - I've been using it with my A105, too.

Be sure to remove any keyboard-generated Leslie sim from the signal or you're likely to get odd results.

I've been using the Vent with the organs in my Kurz PC1x, and had to go in and remove all effects from each of them - even with the Leslie effect "off" it was presenting a signal like a Leslie on "slow" and that produced some weird beats in the sound. With a clean signal, you'll get awesome results.

Very seldom do keyboard patches make my heart beat faster, but the Vent will transform your keyboard. Do try it with other patches, too - with the vent on slow, it makes Clavs and EPs sound great (on "fast".. not so much!).

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

sound good all - been thinking of a vent myself, but have a question for all .. currently I have Korg CX-3 (new model) to speakeasy preamp to KBR3d ... am considering an MS 500 for new amp (thus the need for the vent) .. keeping the speakeasy .. where would you reccomend the vent in the CX3/speakeast/amp chain ? - thanks to all

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

I got mine just over a month ago, after reading all the great reviews here. I tested it on some recordings and I am really impressed with it. So far I have used it with my New Model CX-3 and SV-1. I am still tweaking the CX-3, but it is almost set up how I want it. Thanks to all the great info this forum provides.

sound good all - been thinking of a vent myself, but have a question for all .. currently I have Korg CX-3 (new model) to speakeasy preamp to KBR3d ... am considering an MS 500 for new amp (thus the need for the vent) .. keeping the speakeasy .. where would you reccomend the vent in the CX3/speakeast/amp chain ? - thanks to all

The Ventilator will go AFTER the Speakeasy preamp. But you're going to find the Speakeasy is no longer necessary. I love Speakeasy stuff, but the Ventilators overdrive can be beautifully subtle or outrageous. The Ventilator will render your Speakeasy redundant.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I have spent years and god knows how much money on getting a good leslie sound. I've had the Vent for about 3 months and it amazes me everytime I use it.

Key Master D

Kurzweil PC3(KORE64) & SP4-7, Mellotron M4000D Mini,Hammond XK1/Ventilator, MicroKorg XL, Oberheim OB3 Squared, Roland VR-09

I got my Vent about a month ago and wasn't sure whether I liked it at first. I was tying to make some of the stock organ patches in my Fantom G6 sound more realistic. The vent helped, but not $449 worth of help.

Then I got a VK-8M last night and spent some time tweaking that through the Vent this morning....wow. I bypassed the VK-8M's internal sim (which takes a SYSEX command) and it sounds great through the Vent -- much beefier and more realistic than the internal sim (which now sounds anemic to me).

I have also run my Kronos (CX-3) and Kurzweil PC361 through the Vent and I think I prefer the VK-8M (with the Kurz a close 2nd).

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

According to the UPS website the ventilator I just purchased should arrive today. I can't wait to get it home and run my antique Korg CX-3 through it to see how it sounds.

You are about to discover something very nice.....I used a vent with 1st gen cx-3 for 2 years. It is the best sounding clone through a vent IMO. I ultimately switched to an xk-3c, but only because I play in some heavier bands where the lack of foldback (on the 1st gen cx-3) became an issue. Nonetheless, it is a sweet, sweet combo. I don't know why, but it sounds the most 'real' in the moving air sense of the word...mind you, the analog cx-3 sounds nothing like a b-3, but damn that ventilator swirls....

you guys running stereo or mono? anyone have mono ventilator experience? does it swirl then too?

I'll just throw out this: I got my Vent a few months ago, and quickly realized I needed to upgrade my stage monitor (been using a too-heavy Klipsch floor wedge) so I picked up a used SRM450v2 powered monitor. At gigs, I was also pairing it up with a second borrowed SRM450 just so I could hear the organ/Vent signal in stereo with everything else in mono and a summed mono feed to the FOH.

Well, for last night's gig that second monitor was not available, so I had to revert to mono for the night. Big let-down! One audience member even came up to me afterward and also noticed the difference. Last time he commented on the swirling sound from my stereo monitors (small venue, so he's probably hearing my own monitors more than the mains). Point is, I'm almost glad I was forced to try mono again because now I'm even more convinced I need to spend the extra $$ to get that second monitor so I can stay stereo. I really missed standing in that sweet swirl last night. Kind of like kissing through a screen door, a bit disappointing.

f you wanted to run the Vent in stereo on stage but send mono to the house, would you just send the house a split feed of one of the two sides? Or would you look to sum the sides?

(I know the Vent itself lets you use one side as a mono out, but I don't know if the same signal is coming out of that jack no matter what, or if it is actually summing the two sides to that output when no jack is plugged into the other. Does anyone know?)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm not sure either about how the Vent's output wiring works as you described. My guess is you probably COULD do it that way (split feed of one of the sides) and get away with it.

In my case though, my rack-mounted mixer has it's own Sum output mix that I can use to send to the PA snake. Then I just take the L-R Stereo outputs for myself through a Radial Pro D2 to the powered monitors. This also gives me independent level controls for myself and through the mains. Seems to work okay.

Archived