Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Has anyone used proaudiostar to buy gear?

baconhairpiece

So Joe, it looks like you don't approve of my reluctance to deal with New York companies.

I find it hard to believe that you, of all people, would disagree with me. :idk

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dana:

Prior to dealing with Pro Audio Star, I ordered a 35mm camera bundle from a NY based camera company. When I called in my order, the sales guy asked me why I wanted a particular telephoto lens that I ordered. I told him that it was the range I wanted and it was in the bundle. He told me he would "upgrade" my package to a "better" telephoto lens for $30 more, I said OK. So he sent me the package. When I got my order, I pulled out the telephoto lens he sent me, copied the model number down and went to the Nikon website to check what it was. As it turns out, it listed for about $160 LESS than the lens in the bundle, and was inferior in a number of ways.

I called the company and told them the story. They let me talk to the manager and he offered me a flash attachment for my camera. I told him I didn't WANT a flash attachment, I wanted the lens in the bundle. This went back and forth for a few days and they wouldn't take care of it. I went to my bank and told them what happened. They told me that they had a relationship with the bank that handled that company and they would take care of it.

I ended up requesting and getting a full credit to my credit card after I returned the entire order.

It took about 3 weeks to get this taken care of and all that company did was permanently lose a customer after trying the bait and switch to make a few extra bucks.

I also had some problems with NYC music stores.

Now, I deal with people that have been straight with me. Less hassle for everyone.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Dana:

I will add that when Mannys Music was still in the hands of the family (original owners) my band spent a TON of money in their store. We drove up from PA to buy amps, guitars, everything. They treated us with respect and eventually when the band would walk in the store together, they knew that had another big order going out the door that day. They were great, they gave us the lowest prices they could afford to give us, and we had a good working relationship with them. They recognized the band name if we called in with questions and they took care of us.

I suppose my experiences are based on city businesses compared to rural businesses. Living out in the sticks of central PA, the people around here often have a difficult time relating to how city people think and act compared to us hicks. It took me a long time to figure out that "people are people". Geography does not determine who's a crook. However, getting business matters resolved across state lines can be time consuming.

Cheers,

Mike T.

I've had similar (to Mike T's) issues with three different mail order places, (mostly with photo and electronic equipment) and they were all in NY. Right or wrong, it's left a personal bias against ordering anything from NY companys. I've never purchased music gear from NY, so cant speak about this particular company.

Not trying to knock NY, its just my personal experience.

I have used them quite a bit in the past, including recently. Excellent service, professional packing job, quick delivery, great prices, and thorough communication.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

NY is infamous for deceptive camera/electronics selling, but I've never heard of the same issue for music stores. And even the camera stuff is fine if you stick with the known legit places like B&H or J&R.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived