Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Has anyone used proaudiostar to buy gear?

baconhairpiece

I have been looking online for a few weeks for a good price on a Nord Stage 2.

I was on proaudiostar's website looking at prices, an a webchat thingy popped up in the corner and said I can get a lower price if I call them, and ask for Willy. I replied "this surely sounds like a scam," and got a reply back "not at all, give the number a call and that way you're dealing with a real person." I was intrigued, figuring it couldn't hurt to call the phone number.

So sure enough this guy Willy answers the phone, and I said hello and that we had just chatted online. He immediately was like, "Oh yeah, the Nord Stage 2 88?" I said yes, and he offered me a price (a good one) and said I can pay through PayPal and he'd send me an invoice via email.

I said I would prefer to use my Visa because I don't have a PP account, and he said he'd have to take that information over the phone, which I said I wasn't really comfortable because I'd prefer to have an invoice first.

So anyway, he sent me an invoice via email. It's a good price and free shipping. But is it a scam? Does anybody know? It seems like it might be or might not be I just have no idea what to do. But it's a good price. Advice? Please?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes I purchased two Traynor keyboard amps from them and my electro 3. I did the paypal payment thing with them on all three purchases.I had no problems with the purchases. The prices I got beat everbody else at that time

Try calling Eric at RMCAUDIO for a Nord price , his are below everyone elses I tried, he might not have it immediately in stock though, so if you want instant gratification that may break the deal.

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Yeah. All I got for an email was this paypal request though. If I pay it, is there a chance I can just be S.O.L.? The guy seemed cool on the phone (not like that makes a difference), and he gave me his personal email adress. He said they'll send a receipt and a tracking number after I pay... am I just freaking myself out? I feel like I have a right to be careful.

I think the reason they do this is because they can only advertise a certain minimum price, known as Minimum Advertised Price or MAP. That's why when you go to various online retailers, they all list the same prices.

However, if you call them, they can negotiate a lower price than that. Sweetwater does the same thing.

(Note: I have no knowledge nor affiliation with any online retailer, including the one mentioned in the OP. I cannot vouch for them. I'm just providing info on how the system generally works and assuming they do the same.)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Here's the details on ProAudioStar.com:

(I've highlighted what I consider to be the pertinent detail.)

Registrant:

ProAudioStar

49 Bogart #1a

Brooklyn, New York 11206

United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)

Domain Name: PROAUDIOSTAR.COM

Created on: 19-Mar-07

Expires on: 19-Mar-14

Last Updated on: 05-Aug-10

Administrative Contact:

Wolf, Ron wolf@proaudiostar.com

ProAudioStar

49 Bogart #1a

Brooklyn, New York 11206

United States

+1.9176740724

Technical Contact:

Wolf, Ron wolf@proaudiostar.com

ProAudioStar

49 Bogart #1a

Brooklyn, New York 11206

United States

+1.9176740724

They're based in Brooklyn??? You can't trust anything in Brooklyn.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

They're based in Brooklyn??? You can't trust anything in Brooklyn.

Really? I thought there was just no sleep 'til Brooklyn?

I've heard that's all they do there is sleep.

(Oh, and you might want to hit Google Maps and check that address, then check out the Street View ;) )
They definitely have a huge inventory there. It dwarfs Sweetwater's new HQ, doesn't it?

Sven, are you saying they look shady?

I'm merely pointing out the facts as I see them (and as you can see as well). Any conclusions you reach are yours and yours alone. I am but one relatively anonymous poster on this forum, as are the others that have posted in this thread. :thu:

yes I purchased two Traynor keyboard amps from them and my electro 3. I did the paypal payment thing with them on all three purchases.I had no problems with the purchases.

I got to them thru a feeBay listing, and that's where I got my Traynor (K4) also. No worries. I also paid thru PayPal.

Quick shipping, good communication . . . I had no issues with them at all. I give 'em a :thu:

-Mike

Yes, they're legit. I have bought from them and talked to them in the chat window before about pricing.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

I've bought several things from them, including most recently a Nord Piano 88. Good deals and I know my contact by name (and even found him on Facebook so I know they're real). I recommend them highly.

One thing about them that's suprising is that they have stuff in stock. A lot of internet low-priced deals don't keep an inventory so you have to wait for it be round-tripped from the manufacturer to the vendor and to you. This means quicker delivery.

So that means it can't be that small of a place.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Sven, I appreciate the head-in-hands emoticon. It is very insightful and a lot of help. Way to go.

I save it for the most obtuse people that can't seem to comprehend when I post using actual words. :thu::wave:

Do you (and me) a favour and just put me on ignore. I've done the same for you. :wave:

First post, I've been lurking for a while, but after seeing this thread, I felt I should register and chime in. The same thing happened to me as the OP -- I was looking at Nord Stage 2's, and after being on the page for a minute, a chat window comes up. I talked for a while to a guy named Nolan. He gave a good price, but I wanted to shop around some more.

2 weeks later, after not being able to find a lower price, not even used, I happened to get Nolan on the chat window again. We picked up our conversation, and after throwing in a NE73 bag (I ended up getting the NS2 73SW) and a volume control pedal, I decided to take up the offer. I called and spoke with him, gave the info over the phone, and the Nord was at my door Monday after ordering on a Wednesday. No problems here, great experience, quick, have recommended them to others since.

I had reservations about dealing with a company in New York, based on past bad experiences. So I sent them an email telling them I was reluctant to deal with a NY company, but the price they had on the Digitech Vocalist I was interested in buying was the lowest price I had seen anywhere. I got an email back from Ron Wolf (the owner) and he agreed that many NY companies are crooks, but he was only SLIGHTLY a crook! Too funny. Anyway, I gave him the order and I received my Vocalist in 3 days via Fed EX. It was brand new in the box as promised and it still works great.

I'd give them a shot, they reputable. :)

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

+ 3/4

I bought two items from Pro Audio Star. Years ago I bought a Traynor K4 amp and everything went fine, great price, no problems.

About 6 or 7 months ago I bought a Moog Little Phatty. Big SNAFU and strange response. They said they had them in stock and even sent me an email with a tracking number that never worked. Then after about three weeks I called and spoke to someone and they said the first email was a mistake and that they didn't have any in stock at the time but expected to get some in at the end of the week and would rush it out ASAP.

Well another three weeks go by and I call to ask about where my Moog is. They tell me that it was delivered a few days ago according to their UPS tracking number. I never received this number in email. I go home thinking that my old lady hid it on me as a joke and scour the house. She denies receiving it. Well after calling Nolan at ProAudioStar back, he finds out that it has been shipped to the wrong address, they transponsed the last two digits of my address. Actually they blame Moog because ProAudioStar had sent the correct info to Moog but Moog must have screwed up when drop shipping the Phatty "because those guys at Moog are potheads."

I go to the address where the Moog was sent and some ten year old kid said they received something but his mom returned it to UPS. So I go to UPS, they said nobody returned anything. I call Nolan at ProAudioStar and he tells me to call the police and go back to the kids house because they probably opened it up and found out that it was worth something and are trying to sell it on Craigslst or ebay. WTF? You guys send it to the wrong place and you don't want to call UPS to go pickup the item which is standard procedure but has to be initiated by the sender. You want me to bring a SWAT team over to my neighbors house and accuse them of stealing my Phatty? Not the Customer Service that I'm expecting. Nolan then said "Dude, if the cops don't get it back you are going to have to file the insurance claim." WTF?

Anyway maybe I scared them when I went to the house because a day later UPS calls and tells me that the package has been turned in. I go to get it and yeah it had been opened and gone through but was in good shape so I just took it home. I called Nolan with a recap and he offered to sell me my next board at cost in the future.

Anyways looking back on it, it wasn't ProAudioStar's fault that it wast sent to the wrong house since Moog drop shipped it, but they way they handled everything left me very upset. They had me running all over the city to the airport UPS center to the other guy's house to a couple of nearby UPS stores. And then wanting me to get the police involved... I need to live next to these people for a long time. I just bought my house. Anyway after losing several hours of work running around day after day, I was pissed.

They do have good prices on some stuff but I will order from Sweetwater, Kraft or NovaMusik in the future. I've had to deal with Nova on a couple returns and they were great.

D

I had reservations about dealing with a company in New York, based on past bad experiences. So I sent them an email telling them I was reluctant to deal with a NY company,
:rolleyes:

Archived