Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yes shreds video...

orangefunk

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you mean autotune or other effects, I could care less if he did. The product on the recording is natural and full of expression. "Help" only goes so far: it might make someone in tune, but it doesn't make them musical or give them a good sound.

You really need to look at the latest version of Melodyne, you might be shocked.

I've seen it. It can't turn Joe Schmoe into Pavarotti, I guarantee it.

That's in no way what I'm suggesting. We can agree that Benoit has chops, even though he's brutally flat in the post at the start of this thread. Chops + Flat + Melodyne (+ poor timing, + too much vibrato, + not enough vibrato, etc) = brilliant recorded performance.

You said "natural and full of expression", I'm saying that those can be manufactured now.

That's in no way what I'm suggesting. We can agree that Benoit has chops, even though he's brutally flat in the post at the start of this thread. Chops + Flat + Melodyne (+ poor timing, + too much vibrato, + not enough vibrato, etc) = brilliant recorded performance.

You said "natural and full of expression", I'm saying that those can be manufactured now.

I haven't heard it. If you have a link, share it. I've heard poor or mediocre singers become very in tune and in time. I've also heard the obvious "tweaked" sound. Big difference between a guy like Benoit who can sing, albeit not live, and a manufactured voice.

I suspect there are videos somewhere of Benoit singing live and sounding good. Why he can't with YES I have no idea.

EDIT: Here's one. He's far from perfect but lightyears better than he is with YES. This "Mystery" band is pretty good.

[video:youtube]

This was funny because I just came home from a yes concert in Stockholm..

stood at the front of the stage so the sound was pretty bad. I had never seen YES before and really wanted to see them, so this was probably the last chance.

I felt quite clearly that it was worth going to the concert. Yes're legends and I was standing 5 feet from Steve Howe and Chris Squire :-)

Geoff Downes had twelve synths on stage :-) .... TWELVE

It is clearly the worst in the band was Benoit David, who was out tons more than once.

Chris Squire is an entertainer of high rank!

Steve Howe is a bit mysterious and play really well.

Alan White will not be remembered, but did what he could. Would have liked Bruford in his place;-)

Try the link below to se a clip from the scene

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41266903/IMG_2490.MOV

NS2 88, Yamaha Cp300, Moog Little Phatty, Hammond Sk2, Roland Fantom X6, Ventilator, Nord C2D, Leslie 3300, Leslie 122

Ouch! Godawful. I'd say that Downes wasn't fit to fill the keyboard chair of this band, but none of them sound anywhere near the standard that Yes once required and was renowned for.

Chris Squire is an entertainer of high rank!)

Only in his own mind, I fear, with bass playing like that. He's always been a supreme egotist (you only have to listen to the mix of Fish Out Of Water to get that) but now no longer has the chops to back up such egotism.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I haven't heard it. If you have a link, share it. I've heard poor or mediocre singers become very in tune and in time. I've also heard the obvious "tweaked" sound. Big difference between a guy like Benoit who can sing, albeit not live, and a manufactured voice.

Unfortunately I cannot, as it's not online due to an NDA... and I can't provide details without the person(s) involved suffering severe reprisals that would affect their careers.

Perhaps "manufactured" was a poor choice of words, but it is truly amazing what Melodyne is capable of, not just with vocals.

Prior to this point, I had no idea David Benoit was recruited from a Yes "tribute" band.

David Benoit was NOT recruited from a Yes tribute... Benoit David was.

This is true, however, I've never heard of "Benoit" as being a first name. Around these parts it's always a last name.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Perhaps "manufactured" was a poor choice of words, but it is truly amazing what Melodyne is capable of, not just with vocals.

I've seen the demos. I have no doubt of it's power.

Technology has been making some people sound far better than they are for years. Paula Abdul is a good example, and that's the 80s (and she still sounded bad). In the present, the vast majority sound homogenized and sterile. I don't think some of the "Celtic Women" can sing a note, it's all processed. What I'm hearing from all the effects is "Wow, that's a great production" instead of "Wow, that's a great singer".

Maybe I should buy Melodyne. I'm the worst singer in the history of mankind. If I could even sound half as good as Lou Reed I'd say it was the best investment of my life. :laugh:

Prior to this point, I had no idea David Benoit was recruited from a Yes "tribute" band.

David Benoit was NOT recruited from a Yes tribute... Benoit David was.

Absolutely. You see how rumours start.

It has a certain appeal though. David Benoit - The King of Smooth Jazz (ok not the king but ...). Quite like the idea of Linus and Lucy hanging around while the little piano guy bluffs his way through "Close To The Edge" and Charlie turns to Snoppy and explains how a "seasoned witch can call you from the depths of your disgrace."

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

... I've never heard of "Benoit" as being a first name. Around these parts it's always a last name.

In the French-speaking world it's the (quite common) French equivalent of "Benedict" e.g. Benoît Charest (Canadian composer of Les Triplettes de Belleville soundtrack).

Larry.

I am a HUGE Yes fan here and have seen the latest Benoit David incarnations with both Oliver Wakeman and Geoff Downes. I have to say the video in this thread is pretty poor, but the latest live album (with Oliver Wakeman) is actually fairly good (albeit with some slower tempos than usual) .. I have to say I wish they had stayed with Oliver Wakeman since he seemed to "gel" with the rest much better both during the live shows I saw as well as the latest CD/DVD release ("live from Lyon") ...check out Jon Anderson's latest solo (Survival)....

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

PS - I still think the DVD "Live from Tsongas" was a pinnacle in the "reunion" tour of anderson/wakeman/white/quire/howe ...

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

Its truly awful. And sad.

Dont Kill The Whale .. really? It really is time to put the beast out of its misery. I cant believe that every nite they go onstage like this that they arent thinking Chris(t), this was a bad idea.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Archived