Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yes shreds video...

orangefunk

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That isn't a lack of monitor mix. That's a lack of talent.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Wow. That's just sad. Benoit David is consistently flat...bad monitors or bad ear mix? Sucks when that happens...

... and the instruments are out of tune with each other. Shockingly bad. They either need to seriously work on their monitors or quick install 24-channel pitch correction. It sounds a little like that Britney Speers "didn't-know-the-mic-was-on" clip that's making the rounds here.

Larry.

It is kinda sad really. I'm not a huge fan although Yes were a significant band I listened to in my teens... esp the GFTO LP.

But here, unless it is some kind of clever joke, everything is wrong... out of tune instruments, out of tune vocals, out of time playing (Downes sounds remarkably loose and the sounds seem like generic Roland on the cheap)...

Seems like they need to swallow their pride and do a shit load of rehearsing and get their sound right. Even Yes in 1971 sounded better than this and they were battling with moogs going out of tune and mellotrons going wonky...

Really glad I never went to see them in Oslo, that venue is a nice venue too... never heard any band sound bad there...

Wow. That's just sad. Benoit David is consistently flat...bad monitors or bad ear mix? Sucks when that happens...

TP

What's strange is that the cat can sing. He just can't sing live, apparently. I have the new YES album and I've heard a bit of his own band Mystery. He can sing.

What's strange is that the cat can sing. He just can't sing live, apparently. I have the new YES album and I've heard a bit of his own band Mystery. He can sing.

Are you sure he didn't have "help"?

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Are you sure he didn't have "help"?

If you mean autotune or other effects, I could care less if he did. The product on the recording is natural and full of expression. "Help" only goes so far: it might make someone in tune, but it doesn't make them musical or give them a good sound. I'm guessing that the guy either has serious monitor problems or the range is too high for him to pull of the YES stuff.

Looks like they didn't know when to quit. I guess I can undesrtand the desire to keep going, but there comes a time...
Roland Fantom G6, D-70, JP-8000, Juno-106, JV-1080, Moog Minitaur, Korg Volca Keys, Yamaha DX-7. TG33, Logic Pro, NI plugs, Arturia plugs etc etc

Confused twice.

First - I also thought it was a "shred" video.

Second - misread B3Nut's post as David Benoit (jazz guy). He may have done a better job. At the very least they could have stuck him behind Rick's rig and let Wakeman debut on vocals.

Wonderous Stories as a rap in his polite English tones, peppered with amusing on the road anecdotes as the boys chord through the "Yes changes."

Either way - (loud voice from the back) "TAXI FOR DAVID?"

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

"Help" only goes so far: it might make someone in tune, but it doesn't make them musical or give them a good sound.

I disagree. Have you ever worked with Melodyne? In the hand of a good operator, it can do wonders on a vocal track; you can work all the smaller inflections note for note, creating dynamics, adding vibrato or embellishments... nothing to do with Autotune.

I refuse to use it for my music, but I've seen and heard what it can do to make a lousy singer sound "professional".

Really glad I never went to see them in Oslo, that venue is a nice venue too... never heard any band sound bad there...

I saw Yes live in the mid 70's and few years later after the Tormato album was released (not their best work). From what I recall, the first show went off without a hitch and the second was marred only by a small timing problem with a backing track.

But this... eeesh.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

"Help" only goes so far: it might make someone in tune, but it doesn't make them musical or give them a good sound.

I disagree. Have you ever worked with Melodyne? In the hand of a good operator, it can do wonders on a vocal track; you can work all the smaller inflections note for note, creating dynamics, adding vibrato or embellishments... nothing to do with Autotune.

I refuse to use it for my music, but I've seen and heard what it can do to make a lousy singer sound "professional".

He doesn't sound professional, he sounds beyond that. If that sound can come in a magic bottle, it should be mandatory that everyone use it. :laugh: The guy can sing. He sounds even better on the non-Yes stuff. As a huge YES fan, I was rooting for this guy to fail. :laugh: Maybe he has as a live act, but on the recording the guy sounds really good. If it's all smoke and mirrors, then I'm hiring Trevor Horn for my next album. :D

Are there any other videos of this incarnation of the band? If it was a bad night, then videos from other nights would show whether or not this is a real problem or a temporary one.

I could look myself, but I'll leave it up to someone else.

Are there any other videos of this incarnation of the band?

Tons. It seems to be a sport to put up a video of them sucking. Granted, it's pretty easy to do. :laugh: The Wondrous Stories is unacceptable. I've heard quite a few, and they range from ok to really horrible. Too bad.

If you mean autotune or other effects, I could care less if he did. The product on the recording is natural and full of expression. "Help" only goes so far: it might make someone in tune, but it doesn't make them musical or give them a good sound.

You really need to look at the latest version of Melodyne, you might be shocked.

The live tracks have been pretty sucky lately, even the ones that weren't recorded by some dude's phone. But here's Benoit David with his tribute band before he got picked up by Yes:

[video:youtube]

More familiar tune for some, worse audio, but still very decent:

[video:youtube]

We can speculate about why it sucks now, but clearly someone needs to pull the plug.

We can speculate about why it sucks now, but clearly someone needs to pull the plug.

Curious, how big are these venues Yes is playing these days? I get the feeling that some of them are actually pretty small clubs......

If you mean autotune or other effects, I could care less if he did. The product on the recording is natural and full of expression. "Help" only goes so far: it might make someone in tune, but it doesn't make them musical or give them a good sound.

You really need to look at the latest version of Melodyne, you might be shocked.

I've seen it. It can't turn Joe Schmoe into Pavarotti, I guarantee it.

Archived