Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bought myself a little something something

Pale

I decided it was time for a new board, so I took out the wallet and got myself a brand new Yamaha CP5!

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/5411/95847062.jpg

I just had to share with you guys, I'm so excited , this board is superb. It's so much easier to play it than my old P120, the action is lighter and more responsive. It's like training on sand and then running on tartan track , my fingers are flying on this thing :D

What surprised me are that there are quite a few extra sounds that are really usable, not just an afterthought! Some really sweet pads,strings and synth leads in there! And effect/preamp/amp section is cool, you can really tweak the sounds to your taste.

I installed the new firmware and there's really improvement to wurlitzer dynamics, now it is playable. The wurlitzer is a bit harsh out-of-the-box, too aggressive, but you can dial it to your taste with several options (5 band EQ in effect section, hammertip hardness in preamp section + master 5 band EQ ). There are a few rhodes samples, but since the keyboard is new to me I still have to dig into the editing and see what you can do with them. There are some sweet presets, and there are some less sweet presets. I can clearly hear some kind of a buzzing sound in a few presets, and I think those are coming from one of the source rhodes samples.

Piano is superb, CF sample really shines and really speaks, at least to me. The S6 piano is a bit different in character, and I still have to grow to like him, at the moment I feel like it sounds boxy compared to CF piano.

And now the downer - I got a unit with 1-2 clicking keys, just like someone mentioned on the other forum. A friend of mine bought the CP5 at the same time as I and he got 1 clicking key too. Now, it's not something you would notice when the sound is turned on. I can't hear it with headphones on, and I can't hear it with sound coming out of speakers. It's a subtle, clicking sound, the same sound all the keys are making, just a tiny bit louder. The key itself feels and plays just like other keys. My wife had to concentrate really,really hard to hear what I'm talking about, and finally agreed that there's negligible difference in keyclick loudness which obviously means I'm nitpicking. Still, when you cash out that amount of money you are allowed to nitpick. :( I even considered exchanging the unit, but noone would take my nitpicking seriously.

All in all, the new board is here, the sounds are new and exciting, the pianos sound sweet and I want to play it all day long. I took a week of from work, starting next Monday. I see some shedding in my near future.

Had to share it guys :D !

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congratulations, Pale! There's nothing like picking out a new instrument and discovering you love it. :thu:
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I can clearly hear some kind of a buzzing sound in a few presets, and I think those are coming from one of the source rhodes samples.

FYI, the Rhodes sounds are modeled. Here's a helpful tip from Busch; he posted this when he got a CP1 in early 2010:

I've only been messing with the CP-1 for a day but I've put a good deal of time into the Rhodes. The sound, properly tweaked, is outstanding. It's way beyond anything in hardware and even better than software, IMO, if you can believe it.

The tone in the lower half of the 73 model is close to perfect. Finally someone has accurately captured the bark of the pre-75 Rhodes. And the response is linear so there are no jumps as you move through the tone from the softest notes to full bark.

The thing is, if you sit down to a stock CP-1 you might be disappointed with the Rhodes. The standard presets use the power amp/speaker simulation. I found that by turning OFF the power amp/speaker sim you uncover a great sound underneath. This is not unlike the SV-1 Rhodes preset which has the amp sim. on resulting in a very bright, bell sound. With the CP-1 the opposite happens. The amp/speaker sims muddy and compress the sound--they make it sound artificial. I did a number of other refinements. In fact the Rhodes in the example below uses the model 75 for the top half and model 73 in the lower. They blend quite nicely. The fact that it's modeled gives the tone an organic warmth that's hard to simulate using samples. This is a no-compromise Rhodes. It responds and sounds like the real thing.

My only issue with my CP5 is that, although I got it for practicing when I can't play my acoustic (late night, etc), there is a problem with this, because the light action doesn't prepare me well for playing most real pianos. It's like training on a tartan track and then racing in sand. It's a great instrument, it's just not the ideal solution for putting in many hours of practicing.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

My only issue with my CP5 is that, although I got it for practicing when I can't play my acoustic (late night, etc), there is a problem with this, because the light action doesn't prepare me well for playing most real pianos.

Are you playing grands or uprights?

Congrats Pale. It's a wonderful instrument. The CP5 along with the Nord Piano are, for me at least, the best ones out there at this time.

Good luck with the schlep. One thing I've found with regard to humping the CP5 around is, don't give up your gym membership.... :D

My only issue with my CP5 is that, although I got it for practicing when I can't play my acoustic (late night, etc), there is a problem with this, because the light action doesn't prepare me well for playing most real pianos.

Yeah, that's the down side of these things. I have to be careful myself when I get something new. I'll spend hours playing it then when I go over to the piano it's like...whoa what happened ?!!

Are you playing grands or uprights?

The CP5 is noticeably lighter than my Petrof upright. Granted there are some uprights out there that are even lighter than the CP5. Those are the pianos you don't want to be playing, if you can help it.

My Electro HP is much better preparation for playing acoustics, but it doesn't sound nearly as good as the CP5 through headphones.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Sorry in advance for this:

The key clicking issue may be serious. Yamaha keys can break from the back where you can't see the damage, except for clicking and possible a slight leaning of the key off-center. You should have the keybed checked out by an authorized service center. Good news is that Yamaha is very good about warranty repairs, but I wouldn't put this off... the damage will only get worse.

The CP5 is noticeably lighter than my Petrof upright. Granted there are some uprights out there that are even lighter than the CP5. Those are the pianos you don't want to be playing, if you can help it.

I played a Mason & Hamlin baby grand recently that had a light action. I think I'm preconditioned to expect a heavy action on account of playing so many digitals, but I've never played an acoustic with an action as heavy as, say, the Yamaha GH or Privia actions.

Sorry in advance for this:

The key clicking issue may be serious. Yamaha keys can break from the back where you can't see the damage, except for clicking and possible a slight leaning of the key off-center. You should have the keybed checked out by an authorized service center. Good news is that Yamaha is very good about warranty repairs, but I wouldn't put this off... the damage will only get worse.

I know the problem you are mentioning - I had it on p120. This isn't it, it is the same sound as on other keys, only louder. As if there isn't enough damping, or some kind of felt somewhere isn't aligned as well as on other keys. Now, that 1 key that is louder is still quiteter than any key on p120, it's just loud in cp5 context. I hope I am making sense.

As for the Rhodes sounds - I'll make a comparison to my Mark 2. I just have to find some time.

Bought yourself a little something something, huh Pale?

I didn't know WHAT you were talking about.

Around here, a li'l something something can have many meanings. :love:

Kinda like "Getting into the mischief." :blush:

I'll let you decide for yourself how this can be interpreted.

:cool:

Oh - Congratulations on your new keyboard!

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I know exactly what it means, it just felt lame to name the topic "i bought a keyboard" :) Besides, newspaper people always say it's all in the title.

Archived