Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Charlie Brown Christmas Music book.....?

DanS

My pianist daughter asked me about teaching her the Linus & Lucy theme, and then I thought about picking up the Christmas special music book. For anyone who has dabbled with it, is this the one to get?

Thanks.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

100%. That's it. 'Skating' and 'Christmas Is Here' are also awesome jams.

The yellow one, the non Christmas one, has all three of those songs in it but also has some of the other tunes like the 'Great Pumpkin Waltz'.

Either way, make sure you are getting the 'solo piano' and not 'easy piano' version. Unless you're daughter is only a beginner in which case 'easy piano' would be preferable. The EP version still sounds decent (it's not totally rudimentary) but it's in the key of C instead of Ab and is easier for a beginner. The 'solo piano' version has the full deal including the walking middle section.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I don't know, but I play "Christmas Time Is Here" (or whatever it's called) -- the sad one in 3 -- every Christmas. Nice chords, even though I can never remember the bridge perfectly, and usually just play it in 4 as a solo (nobody notices that I can tell). It's the only Christmas tune I like to play, although I like some of the churchy tunes like Dr. John's "Silent Night" arrangement, which I spent a long time learning when I was 15 or 16 and still stuck with me twenty years later.

OT but "Merry Christmas Baby" and "Baby It's Cold Outside" are a few others I like, but obviously not by Guaraldi.

IIRC correctly "Christmas Time Is Here" was played pretty straight, with just chords in LH and the melody -- your daughter would probably do fine with just a lead sheet and the correct chords (there are some slightly jazzy chords in there).

Hey that's what I do -- every year I try something out, and land on the DbM to Gb7+11, and then promptly get lost and just make something up. Good to know that (a) my memory from when I heard the song last (however many years ago) wasn't so bad and (b) I got the straight dope on the rest of the bridge.

I do like it in 4, though, to give some more time to rest on some of those passing chords. Plus, that slow pulse is hard for me to really feel in three without pretending it's a Billy Preston gospel style or something.

Hey that's what I do -- every year I try something out, and land on the DbM to Gb7+11, and then promptly get lost and just make something up.

Guaraldi uses changes with descending bass notes all the time and I tend to mix up the exact changes in these types of spots also. It's a very Brazillian type thing to do and he obviously always had a softspot for that music.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

100%. That's it. 'Skating' and 'Christmas Is Here' are also awesome jams.

I meant 'Christmas Is Coming' not 'Christmastime is Here'. Two different songs, both awesome and both in that book. 'Christmas Is Coming' is the one that Schroeder plays in the famous dancing Peanuts scene. It rawks. (Also features more of those descending bass notes I was talking about above).

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZjJKQn2IyQ

Either way, make sure you are getting the 'solo piano' and not 'easy piano' version. ...

I made this mistake a few years ago and sent it back. Years ago Keyboard Mag had the Linus and Lucy transcription in an issue. I still have it somewhere. It did not have the solo but it had the main themes. The kids still ask me to play it.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I just recently learned there was a second album of Vince Guaraldi's Christmas songs. Good stuff!

"Vince Guaraldi and the lost cues"

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

I meant 'Christmas Is Coming' not 'Christmastime is Here'. Two different songs, both awesome and both in that book. 'Christmas Is Coming' is the one that Schroeder plays in the famous dancing Peanuts scene. It rawks. (Also features more of those descending bass notes I was talking about above).

First time I heard it is right now -- great tune! I guess I'll be learning that one tonight. Plus it's just made for solo piano, which is nice for an impromptu "Ah, c'mon, Jack, play us a little something wouldja!"

I'm never going to play "Linus and Lucy," though -- it's one of those it seems like every little kid learns when they get good enough to hack their way through ity and in my mind it kind of diminishes the tune a bit. It would be nice to have in my bag but too many other tunes I put a little higher priority on learning. No offense to fans of the tune -- it *is* a great tune and I love Guaraldi's playing on it, when he gets a little single-note solo time.

Either way, make sure you are getting the 'solo piano' and not 'easy piano' version. ...

I made this mistake a few years ago and sent it back. Years ago Keyboard Mag had the Linus and Lucy transcription in an issue. I still have it somewhere. It did not have the solo but it had the main themes. The kids still ask me to play it.

That was a LOT of years ago. That's where I learned it too when my daughter was a baby. She's 28 now.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I was looking at that version too John, but I think I'll go with the Christmas version for now.

I have the Illustrated Songbook too, though I'm betting that they both have the same parts for the Christmas tunes. Some songs are pretty much full transcriptions, though others are not. I know that O Tannenbaum is simplified. It has a walking bassline-type left hand part as opposed to comping.

If you want a full transcription, get this book: The Vince Guaraldi Collection

Archived