Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Current Yamaha P200 Equivalent

V Is For Visitor

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you. That helps a lot. My main concern is the GHE. I would miss the larger speakers of the CP300 but I do not have any need for the other bells and whistles. This is solely for playing piano but not being in a situation where I can purchase a real one.

So it would seem aside from the bells and whistles, I am losing the vibration of the notes at the level the CP300 provides but touch wise there is no difference.

This seemed the case when I tried the two out but they were in separate rooms of the store so it is nice to hear my perceptions confirmed or not.

http://piano-keyboards.findthebest.com/compare/33-62-63/Yamaha-P-155-vs-Yamaha-CP300-vs-Yamaha-CP33

Dislike the way this page says all are fully weighted. Doesn't really tell the whole story.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/cda/flash/dp/videoplayer/dpvideoplayer.asp

Ok - I guess this answers a lot - hope I am not wasting time - but it figures a day of searching - nothing - I join this forum for help and then start finding the answers on my own.

But please - I would appreciate the two cents of anyone who has experience with the Yamahas.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2083133/2

Many answers found here - this took me to the 155 where I was not expecting to go.

Thanks D-Bon.

I once owned a Yamaha P200. I miss the actual hammers that were inside and the way the speakers vibrated the keys. I wish I had never sold it.

Is the Yamaha CP300 the current equivalent?

Is there anything less expensive?

Are there any P200s floating about anymore?Thanks

I owned the CP300 and in a way I regret selling mine.

Props for making excellent use of the search function. :thu:

I've played the CP300 and P-155 and enjoy playing the CP300 much more. As you say, the vibration of the speakers adds a lot, and it's got that nice flat top that's perfect for placing a laptop, smaller keyboard, sheet music, etc. on it. You could probably find a used P-200 or P-250 on craigslist or eBay for a price comparable to the P-155.

Hi,

I played the P200 from 1998 to 2003 and

the P250 from 2003 til now.

I tested the CP5 a few months ago and really loved the sound and the NW-keybed. Really great, but something missing.

When I went back home from testing I played my good-old (but worn out) P250 and then I knowed what I was missing: The speakers

inside the housing give a better feel of playing the real thing.....

So I still waiting and hoping that Yamaha will bring out a CP5 with speakers.......

I put a thread in about that:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2352750/new_Yamaha_CP300#Post2352750

We have Musikmesse in March, let's see....

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Budget?

Well, I guess 2 grand as that is what the CP goes for new.

That is a lot of dough though. I think I could be happy with a P200 or P250 - but none listed as of now on ebay. Actually, I think I'd be even happier with one as this will be used for playing the piano and piano pieces. Even if I write on it, I am still going to gig using my cheap midi boards.

I was at GC and they had a used CP300 but one key was out of place and stuck and the right speaker was loose.

They wanted 1,100 and told me it would probably cost me about 200 to get it fixed.

Seriously? For the extra 700 I get a brand new keybaord with a limited warranty. Who knows what else was wrong with the CP300.

Sorry - my pet peeve is people trying to sell used gear at a price that just makes more sense to go online and by it new.

I just bought my second cp-300 and will continue to play them until they fall apart.it is IMO the best digital piano ever made. A good DP is a combination of sound, feel, interface. I play rock. I own a receptor with the latest version of Ivory and I still will use my cp-300 for live over ivory. I'm not saying that the cp-300 sounds better than Ivory, I'm just saying that the cp-300 works best. Chuck Leavall of the stones agrees. What a shame Yamaha stopped developing the p-200/p-250/cp-300 platform...

Well, Coolio - that is quite the praise - makes me want to take a Fantastic Voyage and pick one up right now. The price tag is the only thing slowing my purchase. Lord knows I am close. I am coming acorss the P250 for between 200 and 300 dollars - only trouble is it they are out of area and not through ebay. Craigslist can be a bit sketchy.

So I'd like to share my P200 Loss story. I was moving and somehow got it in my head that I'd be better off trading in my Korg Trinity 61 key and Yamaha P200 for a Triton Prox X 88 key(flooppy era).

What a mistake. I lost the hammer action and vibrating keys of the 200 and the portability and sonic delights of the Trinity.

Soon, Reason came along and the Triton became just became my piano or at home midi board.

I had recently got a Trinity again and found that the lush sonic goodness I so fondly remembered was simply Kodachrome - but I have a feeling that had I kept the Trinity, I'd have been happy with it betting its portability would have me still using it and as good as Eno Eno supposedly is/was getting sounds out of the DX7.

Instead, with no desire to haul the Triton to a gig, I have a mint condition Triton that I have barely altered a sound on - no portability and no piano feel. VSTs and cheap midi keys are my onstage gear.

One of the worst gear trade in choices - no, _the_ worst gear trade in choice I have ever made.

Get a CP1 and a couple of powered monitors. The speaker vibration is way overrated. When's thelast time you played a real piano that did that - I venture, never.

Like 10 seconds ago...real pianos totally resonate, vibrate. You can feel feedback from the keys. Im playing my real piano and feeling the feedback in ... between...typing...these...words..

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

Get a CP1 and a couple of powered monitors. The speaker vibration is way overrated. When's thelast time you played a real piano that did that - I venture, never.

Every piano I've ever played has had strings that vibrate, and yes I've felt them every time.

CP-1 is non-graded. Might not mean much to you, but the majority of the gigs I do are on real grands, so if I need to go digital, the difference between graded and non-graded is huge.

CP-1 has one of the worst interfaces I've ever come across.

CP-1 is ridiculously overpriced.

CP-1 wurly is dynamically very flat.

I don't want to start a flame war over the CP-1. I just like my CP-300, as do many others,

CP-1 has one of the worst interfaces I've ever come across.

It's lousy, for sure, but if all one wants to do is play piano on it, it's not rocket science.

CP-1 is ridiculously overpriced.

It's all relative, isn't it? I could say a Fazioli is is ridiculously overpriced, too, but it sure sounds damn good. So does the CP1.

CP-1 wurly is dynamically very flat.

This has been fixed with an OS update.

Primary new features of interest to me for the CP300 were the XLR outputs and mono piano sample. Not sure what else was new.

Unfortunately, that mono sample is lousy.

I had a CP300 and tried to use the XLRs to the board, but was told they needed padding due to unusually high output levels - so they were useless without attenuators.

One welcome improvement the CP300 has over the P200/250 is programmable sustain pedaling for splits. The earlier models sustained the right hand only, no left (bass, in my case) and it was a deal-breaker.

Here for the gear.

Speaking of the Yamaha P200...what is the difference between that model and a P300?

The main CF Grand sample was greatly improved over the 200 and just slightly refined over the 250.

Dave,

I think B3bluesman59 is referring to the P300, not the CP300.

Archived